Millau Bridge Toll

howdoo

Reaction score
How not to pay the Toll for crossing the bridge...............
I've just got back from a 3500 mile Spanish Odyssey, taking in Santander, Portugal, Spain, Andorra, France, Spain, France, Spain, France etc, culminating with a journey to Caen.
On the way we crossed over the Millau bridge, travelling north.
The motorway up to it is spectacular as is the bridge.
We then stopped in the rest area immediately after the bridge.

The car park there is split in to two, ie. for north bound and south bound traffic. The two are seperated by a locked gate and a kerb edge.
As our car park was very busy we crossed the kerb in to the southbound car park and dined on our supermarket bought grub.

We then realised that we could head south again from this car park and re cross the bridge and thus avoid heading north and getting captured by the Peage point (which is to the north of the bridge).

I've no idea what the toll would have been, but the sense of victory over Rip Off France was immeasurable.

There is also an adjacent non-motorway network road that can be accessed by going between a couple of large boulders: big enough for a GS and panniers.

the words 'git' , 'yorkshire' and 'tight' spring to mind...and all for a EU 3.50 toll.....bloody hell ! How much money did you come back with....don't tell me, more than when you left.

"rip off france"???

must have been a different one to where i was last week :confused:

having said that, i would have done as you suggested had i the time.

How not to pay the Toll for crossing the bridge...............

Tight as a crab's arse at 50 fathoms :nono

Is there any way we can get separate "Yorkshire" badges for numberplates so that we, in the rest of the UK are not branded the same? :nenau

I worked with a Yorkshireman who went for a cheapo caravan weekend in France and filled up loads of water-bottles with tap water before leaving home............ so that he wouldn't have to pay for bottled water in France :blast

(mind you - the feckin' Italians are just as cheap when they tour.................)

Al :cool:

We then realised that we could head south again from this car park and re cross the bridge and thus avoid heading north and getting captured by the Peage point (which is to the north of the bridge).
The point of building the bridge is to enable drivers/riders to cross the Tarn from North to South and vice versa. Your work of genius fails to achieve this result overall but succeeds in burning probably more than the €3.50 toll in fuel to get back on track.

France 1-0 Yorkshire

Any hot tips for the Tunnel?

I was more than happy to pay the toll just to say I had been across the bridge it was a couple of quid well spent. I just wish the UK would invest in such transport infrastructure instead of the overcrowded and crumbling donkey tracks we have to put up with.:rob

I was more than happy to pay the toll just to say I had been across the bridge it was a couple of quid well spent. I just wish the UK would invest in such transport infrastructure instead of the overcrowded and crumbling donkey tracks we have to put up with.:rob
No donkey's in Birmingham.

They all went into curries many a long year back. :blast

But we do have the M42 which would make donkey travel seem rather rapid.

However, I do think that that said Millau Bridge is just superbbbbb.

I just wish the UK would invest in such transport infrastructure instead of the overcrowded and crumbling donkey tracks we have to put up with.:rob

You would trade your British driving nirvana experience for bits of strait slab like the bridge in question?

Talk about taking things for granted... I absolutely love driving over there... hate it over here in The Netherlands...

Al...

I've no idea what the toll would have been, but the sense of victory over Rip Off France was immeasurable.

I really don't understand the Rip Off France bit :confused: If you are referring to the cost of the autoroute tolls then clearly you need some lessons in mathematics.
You may have noticed that the road system in France is somewhat superior to that in the UK. They aren't as crowded either for the simple reason there is a lot more of them. It may surprise you to know that you pay for the roads in UK, they don't in fact come free. The system in France is to involve private enterprise who then recover their money and profits from the tolls. The system in UK is rather different I think and probably costs you more in the long run. Note that road tax was abolished over here some years ago.
The toll system has the advantage of charging whoever uses the road not just those of us who pay tax here.
It was such a clever move avoiding paying the €3.50, something you can brag about to your mates and be proud telling your kids. Had you been caught it would have been a slightly different matter I think and you would regret it for a very long time. If it was considered theft they can confiscate your bike! The risk of saving €3.50 is well worth that isn't it?

The bridge is a wonderful sight but the thing that most impresses me is the balls it took to push it through, well worth the toll IMHO.

Please try to avoid Rip Off France in the future, bikes are very welcome here and it would be really good if it remains so.

Probably would have done it myself for a second chance at riding across that incredible structure, but what happens at the other end? Do you just turn around again and again and live forever on the bridge? :nenau After all, €3.50 is like $183.42 pathetic Aussie dollars :blast By the way, hands up all those who have NOT taken a shortcut through somewhere you shouldn't, just cause you are on a GS and could do it??? :nono

Not condoning the sort of behavior exhibited above, but I think the French already hate you poms anyway and the rest of the world hates the French so it all works out in the end.... :augie

I really don't understand the Rip Off France bit :confused: If you are referring to the cost of the autoroute tolls then clearly you need some lessons in mathematics.
You may have noticed that the road system in France is somewhat superior to that in the UK. They aren't as crowded either for the simple reason there is a lot more of them. It may surprise you to know that you pay for the roads in UK, they don't in fact come free. The system in France is to involve private enterprise who then recover their money and profits from the tolls. The system in UK is rather different I think and probably costs you more in the long run. Note that road tax was abolished over here some years ago.
The toll system has the advantage of charging whoever uses the road not just those of us who pay tax here.
It was such a clever move avoiding paying the €3.50, something you can brag about to your mates and be proud telling your kids. Had you been caught it would have been a slightly different matter I think and you would regret it for very long time. If it was considered theft they can confiscate your bike! The risk of saving €3.50 is well worth that isn't it?

The bridge is a wonderful sight but the thing that most impresses me is the balls it took to push it through, well worth the toll IMHO.

Please try to avoid Rip Off France in the future, bikes are very welcome here and it would be really good if it remains so.

well put Shenzi.
indeed riding in france is in my view is great whichever route i have taken and biking in the uk in the main is still frowned upon:nenau.
long may biking in europe remain special.but knowing us naughty brits most would try to save a bob or two without thinking of the penalty's if found out.it's just our make up NAUGHTY BUT NICE. :thumb

Shenzi and the rst you beat me to it. You were all spot on with all of your post.

I would add, what a cheapskate way to carry on and what a performance to avoid a few Euro. Shame he wasn't caught and fined.

France? One of the best countries to enjoy a holiday...never had any trouble with the locals, more often quite the reverse.

Indeed I am often struck how polite everyone is. From the girl on the till at the supermarket, the bloke at the petrol pump, to the local police or people in the bar des sports.

More often it's a bonjour in every shop you go into and a bon route as you leave. We Brits could learn a lot from the French custom of shaking hands, a great way to say hello and goodbye. A quick, allez les bleu, or somesuch nonsence, if you can't speak any French goes miles.

Still I guess he won't be going back, so more room for the rest of us.:beerjug:

Rip off France, unfriendly locals, and bad drivers :blast

Actually it's one of the friendliest countries I've ever driven through / round. The locals go out of the way to make room for you on the roads, and will stop for a chat, providing that you don't do the English Shouty thing.

The food and wine is fantastic, and the road tolls always surprise me by being pretty small.

The number of times I've been unable to find my hotel at the end of the day and a local has not just directed me, but actually guided me (yup - you follow me) to the hotel, to ensure that I make it through their one way systems.......

In fact I'm just back from France and our tour guide had the same problem - but he was guided by the local gendarme.

I'd like to say that I'd get the same treatment in the UK, but I know that it's not true, so what sort of a reception would a frenchman get?

Lets keep France a secret, for us motorcyclists who enjoy the pleasures of hidden france

Rip off France, unfriendly locals, and bad drivers :blast

Actually it's one of the friendliest countries I've ever driven through / round. The locals go out of the way to make room for you on the roads, and will stop for a chat, providing that you don't do the English Shouty thing.

The food and wine is fantastic, and the road tolls always surprise me by being pretty small.

The number of times I've been unable to find my hotel at the end of the day and a local has not just directed me, but actually guided me (yup - you follow me) to the hotel, to ensure that I make it through their one way systems.......

In fact I'm just back from France and our tour guide had the same problem - but he was guided by the local gendarme.

I'd like to say that I'd get the same treatment in the UK, but I know that it's not true, so what sort of a reception would a frenchman get?

Lets keep France a secret, for us motorcyclists who enjoy the pleasures of hidden france

My experience exactly

Vive la Republique

Roy

Back
Top Bottom