Ardennes/ battle of the Bulge.

Roy,

Here's Mapsource waypoint/route file of the advance taken by Peiper's battlegroup.

I haven't actually used this route yet, it's one of my planned routes for the future.

Attachments

• Peiper Route.gdb
    62.1 KB · Views: 182
Im a belgium tosser as well, let me know if you need any info :thumb2

Will it be you?

Roy,
May see you over there. I'm having a blast around the Ardennes with a mate (he on a TDM 900) on the 12th to 14th. Staying both nights in France (just) so will keep an eye out for Tossers whilst there.
Happyhenry

I'm over there too on way to Black Forest on those dates, here's hoping weather is kind to us.

John

Battle of the Bulge

Down that way a couple of years ago, one of the best museum's we visited was in Diekirch Luxembourg about 40 clicks from Bastogne Belgium. Worth checking out you will not be disapointed. It seems like nothing from the outside but inside it is some place. They even gave me and the wife two brass shell casings from artillery fired during the Battle of the Bulge. A good little hotel we stayed was Hotel De Sud in Bastogne Belgium (waypoint included)
Cheers :ymca

Attachments

• Diekirch Luxenburg.gdb
    280 bytes · Views: 129
Hi HappyHenry and JDH, hope to see you both.

just for a bit of inspiration:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xQ4ldl12W0I"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xQ4ldl12W0I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Roy

Useless Information

My Old Man was taken POW at the Battle of the Bulge. 17 years old and much, much luckier than many lads his age (on both sides).

54200151-L.jpg

Me this summer.......

Attachments

• Monte Cassino Tour 011.jpg
    Monte Cassino Tour 011.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 477
The Italian restaurant in Bastogne's main square is recommended. Good food and company. :thumb2

When me and my son where there in the summer the place was full of locals. (always a good sign).

I found the roads in the Ardennes to be well maintained, reasonably quiet and, more importantly, nice and twisty.

One lasting memory is riding round a corner and finding a US Army truck and 45" Harley siting at the side of the road. After that I was half expecting to find a road block manned by SS troopers dressed as GI's.:mcgun

Check out the "Bulge" museum just outside Bastogne. My son thought it was the best battle museum we visited during the trip.:bounce1

Hi Roy,
good to hear from you. Hope you have a good time.

Couple of pix below showing the Harley and Niall checking out the shell hole in the side of the Sherman in Bastogne square.

Kaycee

Attachments

• Dublin & Europe 080.jpg
    Dublin & Europe 080.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 304
  • 2007 EUROPE TRIP 014.jpg
    2007 EUROPE TRIP 014.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 314
Just up the road From Bastogne at Houffalize.

Attachments

• Monte Cassino Tour 020.jpg
    Monte Cassino Tour 020.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 302
Ahhh, a handy thread, I'm going from Cherbourg around to Ardennes on the second week of September.
Did the use of the tracklog files posted help your visit?

Timpo.

Back
Top Bottom