to NT or not NT?

cookie

Stay Frosty
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
that is the question. City Navigator NT or not NT to be precise?

which should i use on a gpsmap60csx? NT costs more, but will it do anything extra for the money on that particular unit? postcode search?

As far as I know the main difference is NT has the speech part and non-NT doesn't, so it's not much use.

In case you don't know you could use Metroguide V8 with Metrowhizz to get a fully routable map for the 60csx and it works well, and it's free :)

NT also means more compressed maps. So the same mapset takes up less space.
Helps a lot for 276 owners. I am not familiar with the internal memory of the 60csx. But if it's limited, buy the NT version.

As far as I know the main difference is NT has the speech part and non-NT doesn't, so it's not much use.

In case you don't know you could use Metroguide V8 with Metrowhizz to get a fully routable map for the 60csx and it works well, and it's free :)

i didn't know that, and i'll look into it. i do feel that i'd like to stick with mapsource though, 'cos it's what i know. NT does postcode search on some models, but no idea about on the gps60csx.

no real problem with memory space as it takes SD cards.

Ummm, I think you ought to be careful which version you buy. I may be wrong, but non-NT compatible units, such as the 2610, will not work with NT map versions. I do know that NT-compatible units can work with non-NT maps (cos I have done this with an i3).

If all units were compatible with NT maps, don't you think Garmin would only produce one version?

Cookie, i have a 60CS and a 2720, the NT isnt compatible with the 60c series:(

I'd go Vanilla if it was free and NT if I had to pay for it - v9NT will fit on a 2GB card, vanilla won't.

The partial post code of the vanilla has never goosed me so I wouldn't see it as an essential to have going forward.

NT has so far released upgrades some time before vanilla if that helps :nenau

so many options & i haven't even got the unit yet :rolleyes:

Don't overlook an iQue3000 - at £80 quid they're brilliant value. I prefer mine to the 2820. It's small, runs on battery for around 5 hours, NT8 preloaded and if you still have the 2720 you can use your spare license on it and have all of Europe covered.

i'm waiting for the 60csx and debating what software to load it with.

it's just been delivered to my pal in the US & he's sending it on to me. it's a gift :augie

i could use the second unlock code from my 2610 but that is beginning to look like grief when i sell that unit as i can't pass on the reg for the mapping. last think i want is some moaner hassling me 'cos he can't upgrade the maps.

i've found CN v9 for £89.99 and CN v9 NT for £129.99, not looked in the US yet. as i am only running v8 at the moment, i've mentally deducted the £50 upgrade charge for version 9.

If you use the NT version you should get a postcode search but it takes more processing power to decompress the maps so is likly to be slower than the non NT version..

Edit:
I saw a comment earier in the thread about no voice data in non NT but there must be otherwise there would be no voice instructions when used in speech enabled units like the Quest.
Dave

I saw a comment earier in the thread about no voice data in non NT but there must be otherwise there would be no voice instructions when used in speech enabled units like the Quest.
Dave

Even Metroguide gives voice instructions albeit with roundabouts just announced as regular junctions. I think the mapping data doesn't actually have the voice instructions rather the 'audio engine' feeds of the mapping data that's used for everything. In other words, in simplistic terms, if two roads join then that's regarded as a junction and announced as such.

The 60CSX must be upgraded then, as my 60CS is defo not compatible with my V9 NT, which i have on my 2720:nenau

If you use the NT version you should get a postcode search but it takes more processing power to decompress the maps so is likly to be slower than the non NT version..

Edit:
Dave

Thats was me, I based the comment on previous posts of a similar nature and the Gramin site doesn't mention voice for non-NT mapping but does make a point of stating it for NT mapping, I could be wrong. still doesn't really change much for cookie as his 60CSx doesn't have voice capabilitys

cheers

The 60CSX must be upgraded then, as my 60CS is defo not compatible with my V9 NT, which i have on my 2720:nenau

As I see it the gpsmap60 series of gps receivers only became compatable with NT with the introduction of the "x" series and its expandable memory.

Back
Top Bottom