PDA

View Full Version : Hi from a Ducati owner..

johnnystorm
01-10-07, 10:01
Hi Guys,

I managed to coincide my Ducati breaking down with watching "long way round" (god so predictable on both counts) so I fancy a GS. I popped down to Cannons at the weekend who gleefully handed me the keys to a 1200GS which I greatly enjoyed! Seriously considering one now, just not sure whether it's worth paying a premium for low miles/Adventure/lots of kit or saving a couple of grand and then potentially being miserable I haven't got a 30 litre tank and ammo box panniers! :D

cookie
01-10-07, 10:10
you can never spend too much money on a GS :)

ChrisG
01-10-07, 10:25
Hi Jonny,

I did what you are talking about four years ago. I swapped my 748, which I had from new for 8 years for a 1150 GS. I have just traded the 1150 in for a 1200 ADV.

I really liked my 748 and ideally I would have kept it, but now I don't think that I would actually ride it that much as I can't think of many times when I would prefer to ride it over the GS.

If you are looking at the 1200 I'd advise you have a go on both, the ADV is not that much more expensive, about 800 at list price, and comes with a number of items that would be extra on the standard 1200 such as wire wheels engine bars, big screen etc, never mind the large tank.

Good luck

Whele
01-10-07, 10:28
come on, if the guy owns a Ducati then he doesnt need any advice about throwing money a bikes :)

Welcome to the site Johnystorm. What type of Ducati have you got? I just spent the weekend with a Hypermotard, I am just begining to regain my hearing this afternoon....

cookie
01-10-07, 10:29
come on, if the guy owns a Ducati then he doesnt need any advice about throwing money a bikes :)

fair point :o

johnnystorm
01-10-07, 12:58
fair point :o

You've hit the nail on the head really. I'd rather spend 100 a month on depreciation/finance/main dealer service on a new bike than the 100 a month I'm spending on unscheduled reapirs where essential parts have dropped off unexpectedly! The other side is that I've realised I don't need 150mph capability as much as 200 miles range and the ability to walk when I get where I'm going!

I'm ideally looking at a used 1150GSADV (if my terminology is right!) and just rode a 1200GS as it was ready for a test ride. I have to say for a big bike it handles bloody well! :)

jonnie comet
01-10-07, 17:50
(if my terminology is right!)

...have you got them pipes on your Duke ?.......

johnnystorm
01-10-07, 18:23
...have you got them pipes on your Duke ?.......

:D They're the only things that haven't dropped off it! ;)

Duchess
01-10-07, 20:32
Hi johnnystorm, ex-Ducati rider myself so I know where you're coming from. I can honestly say that I didnt have that much that dropped off, but the vibration through the throttle was killing my wrist especially on long journey's.

Buy the GS, you wont regret it :thumb2

BTW, welcome to the forum :)

garfield
01-10-07, 20:36
welcome to the site johnnystorm....hope you enjoy

good luck making the switch, you're gonna love the GS :thumb

:D

johnnystorm
01-10-07, 20:36
Hi johnnystorm, ex-Ducati rider myself so I know where you're coming from. I can honestly say that I didnt have that much that dropped off, but the vibration through the throttle was killing my wrist especially on long journey's.

Buy the GS, you wont regret it :thumb2

BTW, welcome to the forum :)

To be honest I'm kinda over exagerating the problems. I had a 600 Monster (sold last week) that apart from a dead battery was faultless. Poor parts supply led to it being laid up so long however. My ST2 does the wrist ache thing as well on a long journey but it's the nature of it's break downs that have riled me. I bought it especially to go to the Duc factory on and it died a week before hand. Turned out to be a perished hose in the fuel tank that was a cheap part ONCE it had been diagnosed and the bike virtually dismantled (huge labour costs). Once that was fixed I managed a few more rides before the reg/rec failed and then proved near impossible again to get another. the official part has been weeks now. :(

Dunnerkk
13-10-07, 19:03
Hi there Johnnystorm, I'm riding an S2R 800 Monster myself, and i'm also thinking of switching to a 1200GS, took one for a test spin a few weeks back and must admit, i was blown away. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

johnnystorm
13-10-07, 19:19
I'm still waiting for the bloody reg/rec to arrive. Not sure if it's the dealer, ducati spares warehouse or the striking post office I should be blaming. :( Lovely day for a ride today. Also my insurance expires soon so I wanna get it traded soon... :(

Bumble Bee
13-10-07, 21:50
Welcome.

If it helps any - the longest I've had to wait for spares is a couple of days. And they come in a bloody big white van with BMW on the side, not the red PO one, if it's not on strike!!!!!

Get yerself a GS mate. Even tho' it is a 1200 :augie:augie
It'll be cheaper to insure too.

johnnystorm
13-10-07, 22:03
I was all set to get a Street triple but put off by no chance of discount and very long delivery time. Decided to have a look at what was available used for similar money also without a large plastic wrapper. I was initially interested in an 1150 but the dealer demo 1200 was ready to go. Haven't properly decided what I want yet, will need to test an 1150 as well I think.

johnnystorm
24-10-07, 18:04
Ok bullet has been bitten, pick up my Melloyello 1200GS tomorrow! :)

Anyone wanna buy an ST2?

Duchess
24-10-07, 18:16
Ok bullet has been bitten, pick up my Melloyello 1200GS tomorrow! :)

Anyone wanna buy an ST2?

Congratulations on the new bike .... now get yourself a subscribed member and you can sell the ST2 in the our fabulous 'For Sale & Wanted' section further down the forum.

What can I say, 12 for a year and free adverts to boot ... oh and PM's (private message service) :thumb2

Here's the link should you wish to take advantage of us

http://www.ukgser.com/subscriptions.htm

Have fun riding the beast home tomorrow :)

johnnystorm
29-10-07, 23:31
Subscribed :thumb2

The ride home last night *was* fantastic! :cool:

Duchess
30-10-07, 09:22
Subscribed :thumb2

The ride home last night *was* fantastic! :cool:

... and you'll have many to come no doubt.

Enjoy your stay with us. :)