In praise of Hopp Rider Training

Tobers

Reaction score
Myself and two pals went to a Martin Hopp rider training day at Cadwell Park yesterday (http://www.hoppridertraining.co.uk/). Two of us on KTM950SMs and one on a Blackbird. Lots of BMWs there including MikeO on a very white and very wide G5ADV. A couple of other R12GSs and about 5 R1200Ss. There was also some sort of scooter (a Suzuki Burghman possibly) which seemed to be grinding itself to pieces as it went round.

It was the best track day I have ever done. Extremely well managed and controlled, and no crashes. Repeat - no crashes!! One person overshot the hairpin and that was it. Apparently the day before with a different track day company there had been 22 crashes!!!

What's different to other track days?

- usual split into 3 groups fast, medium, slow. Each group is then split into 4 or 5 mini-groups of 5-8 people, each with its own instructor, ranging from slow to fast.
- the briefing is very comprehensive and the fact that it isn't a competitive day, but a learning day, was emphasised repeatedly.
- each mini-group then got a brief on what next from their instructor. First job was to learn the course.
- first ride round the track was in line behind the instructor, learning the lines. No overtaking. Followed by a full debrief.
- second session was again behind the instructor, but with the 2nd place rider changing each lap. Full brief before and afterwards. The theme of this session was about looking where you are going (a revelation to some!!)
- third session was about lean angle, when to turn in and by how much. Same thing, briefing, ride with cycling 2nd place rider, full debrief at the end. The debriefs were excellent with each person critiqued.
- 4th session was throttle control. This time each "trainee" led for a lap, and got a critique at the end. Again, very good.

After lunch, we had a 2nd briefing about overtaking. Rules are overtaking on the left only. If overtaking on the 2 straights, just go for it. If anywhere else, indicate left and wait for the person being overtaken to see you and indicate right, and only then overtake. Any breaking of these rules and the day is over for you.

Then followed by 3 more sessions with no following of instructors, just go for it with the overtaking rules being followed. I had a one-on-one session with one of the instructors which again was incredibly useful and ended up in me being put up into group A (the fast lot).

Knowing that everyone was following the rules resulted in me having much more confidence than on previous trackdays where people are being overly competitive and downright dangerous. I always knew that overtakes were being handled in a controlled and safe manner and nobody with a GSXR with slicks and race bodywork would try and stuff it down the inside of a particularly tricky bend.

The instruction was excellent and I learnt more than I have ever done at any of my previous track days.

And the 950SM was just a joy. Fast enough to not get left behind too badly on the straights, and always able to catch up on the twisty bits (esp the Gooseneck). Superb bike - absolutely brilliant at all times!!

Anyway, the Martin Hopp approach is recommended for all you non-loonies out there.

Tobers

I know Martin and Richard Hopp well... ridden der Nürburgring with them :thumb

They're the tops... best instruction and day out you'll get for sure :thumb:thumb

:beerjug:

www.adventure.gs

Must agree did the the same training on august 30 what a fantastic day,will be doing another one in 2008.:clap:clap:clap:clapgarbo2

Back
Top Bottom