What GPS!!!!!

The_Pilot

Ok its time to change the quest 1.

What to though. I like my mates tom tom rider, although it is quite big and doesn't have the poi's that even my quest appeared to have.

I like the look of the zumo...

I would like to know where speed camera's are and be able to use bluetooth for the phone in th car.

I don't really need mp3

I like 3d maps.

I like the ability to use it off the bike.

Pro's and cons' anyone or are there any other units I have missed?

I also mountain bike alot so one of them rino's looked quite good but is it just 'normal' mapping for the road, does it even do city navigator etc

any help gratefully accepted.

I suggest that if you are looking for a proper bike system the choice is down to something from Tomtom or Garmin.

Having used kit from both I think it comes down to whether you are looking for simple A to B or more complex routes.

For simple use the new Tomtom Rider 2 is a big improvement on the original (I have both so can compare). The original was full of problems which the V2 has overcome.The only issues now are the known poor service, if it goes wrong, and the Scala Bluetooth headset.The latter is a vast improvement on the original dongle and works extremely well but the claim that it is easy to fit on helmets is not totally true. It was not possible to fit it to a BMW System 4,System 5 or Schueberth C2 without cutting a slot in the neck skirt.

If you are looking for something that will be used for complex route planning Garmin is a better choice, partly due to Mapsource PC software which has no Tomtom equivilant. Routes with waypoints are easy to enter into the unit and downloading/uploading data to and from a PC is a no brainer. Finally,my experience is that Garmin service is in a different league to Tomtom.

A minor warning if you intend to use the gps in a car as well. The Tomtom V2 has a much improved, but expensive, car bracket with built in speaker but the arm is too short which means that once the suction pad is stuck on the screen it is almost impossible to fit the gps due to the curve of most screens.

My Garmin 2720 is much better here as it comes with a beanbag mount which just sits firmly on the dash ora little bracket to stick on the dash. No dirty ring on the screen clearly showing the thieves that a gps is in the glove box.

I have found that although my 2720 and Rider often come up with different routes between the same two points and occasionally come up with silly routes, there is nothing to choose between them on ability to navigate. Personally I find the Rider software which denies use of many of the options once it is fitted to a bike is a nuisance but can be overcome with a DIY fix.

Final comment. If you are looking to travel into Europe check the countries you want are covered. Garmin's idea of Western Europe covers more counties than Tomtoms although extra maps for Tomtom are available at a price.

thanks guys,

On the quest and rem/qpac mount cost, I dunno, not given it any thought yet.

But from whay I see here if I want to use it off the bike its a zumo.

if I don't is it a 2820?

Off bike you will only get an hour or so with the Zumo - the Quest will give you all day

Off bike you will only get an hour or so with the Zumo - the Quest will give you all day

My Zumo (550) easily lasts 4+ hours on it's internal battery, might even be longer.. the battery's never gone flat on me, (used it on my pushbike..)

Back
Top Bottom