PDA

View Full Version : hello from Oslo

GSPeter
11-10-07, 00:15
After 22 years on a K100 wobbling around western europe, I felt the pressing need for a longer, more ah....stimulating trip. Target is India,or maybe Nepal. Therefor I needed a bike that is designed to make the trip, take the punishment, bounce off the scenery, respond willingly and gently to roadside repairs and bring me back. Well, it had to be a beemer, but the latest GS models.......well, I don't think so.
Found an R80GS Basic/Kalahari in showroom condition (previous owner a jewel among pigs, most guys I know only sell if the bike is leaking from every orifice, not Ulf! Of course, he has eight other bikes in varying degrees of restoration. But he had noted everything.We are talking records of everything. Wierd) Ulf looked genuinly distressed when I told him where the Geezer and I were going. Plan to start september '08.
About myself. Ex Brit, 57 years old, now Norwegian, wife (she says we have just had our twentieth anniversary), 15 year old daughter, house, garden, three winter racing dogs, good job, lousy pay, angina.
So, if I don't put this trip together now it's not going to happen later.
Found this site by accident in a three year old motorcycle magasin that I was actually going to throw away yesterday. Accident...well maybe, maybe not.
Hope these lines are of interest.
GSPeter

(RIP) ugg
11-10-07, 00:59
After 22 years on a K100 wobbling around western europe, I felt the pressing need for a longer, more ah....stimulating trip. Target is India,or maybe Nepal. Therefor I needed a bike that is designed to make the trip, take the punishment, bounce off the scenery, respond willingly and gently to roadside repairs and bring me back. Well, it had to be a beemer, but the latest GS models.......well, I don't think so.
Found an R80GS Basic/Kalahari in showroom condition (previous owner a jewel among pigs, most guys I know only sell if the bike is leaking from every orifice, not Ulf! Of course, he has eight other bikes in varying degrees of restoration. But he had noted everything.We are talking records of everything. Wierd) Ulf looked genuinly distressed when I told him where the Geezer and I were going. Plan to start september '08.
About myself. Ex Brit, 57 years old, now Norwegian, wife (she says we have just had our twentieth anniversary), 15 year old daughter, house, garden, three winter racing dogs, good job, lousy pay, angina.
Found this site by accident in a three year old motorcycle magasin that I was actually going to throw away yesterday. Accident...well maybe, maybe not.
GSPeter

How do from a west yorkshire UK member , am fairly new on ere n these guys are helpuff , will have a laff n take the piss too, avent found a better site so far.
whats the bike sceene like in the norselands? i would like to go to uppsala n gotland sites to see the latest diggs. im studding the norse history in england at the time of the anglofresian settlement ,and the sagas n myths that have been passed down through the years.:
my bikes the R 1100 GS 95 model.
waes hael . skoll .:beerjug: ugg.

petcul
11-10-07, 06:03
GSPeter Hi and welcome to the site. It really is fantastic with loads of information and great banter.

I'm really interested in your trip as it is one of my "would love to do ones". Do let me know if your plans develop in any way.

Cheers.:thumb:thumb

Dickieboy
11-10-07, 06:42
Good morning Pete:thumb2

ovenpaa
11-10-07, 07:12
Welcome.

Oslo eh? I quite often spend quality time in Lysaker - you are in a nice part of the world :thumb

That is a good choice of bike, you need to get some pictures posted and get a couple of practice rides out in the west of your country - you have some lovely roads and scenery.

mikepg
11-10-07, 07:21
Hiya Peter! and good luck with your plans!

garfield
11-10-07, 11:24
welcome to the site Peter, hope you enjoy :thumb

hope you will get a chance to keep us informed how you're travel plans are shaping up and more importantly when you do the trip

happy biking :D

sparkplug
11-10-07, 14:28
Hej san!

or something like that...

(I know, I know, it's Swedish :D )

V2 TRV
11-10-07, 15:21
ciao and welcome Dude :thumb

cool introduction - go for it!

Trev

Duchess
11-10-07, 16:16
Hello and welcome to the forum GSPeter.

Its good to have you with us all the way from Oslo :thumb2

It would be interesting to see a ride report from you if you have time to share. Good luck with your trip ....

GSless Girl
11-10-07, 18:03
:aidan a warm welcome to ya... a few getting together next week to put a plan together for summer 08. thinking of heading to nordic countries any ideas. :beer::beerjug::beer::beerjug::beer::beerjug:

GSPeter
11-10-07, 20:58
Thankyou for greetings. Western Fjords in Norway are spectacular. Lofoten Islands also. Long drive to North Cape only for distance freaks, horrifying carnivorous mosquitos. Fantastic network of gravel roads all over Scandinavia, but plan well for petrol, and other supplies. You can camp anywhere uncultivated. Norway is very expensive, but safe and well organised. Sweden even more so, but much less habitation outside urban areas. Finland a bit scary, with alcohol and even more bloodthirsty insects.
Good luck
GSPeter

garfield
11-10-07, 21:02
Thankyou for greetings. Western Fjords in Norway are spectacular. Lofoten Islands also. Long drive to North Cape only for distance freaks, horrifying carnivorous mosquitos. Fantastic network of gravel roads all over Scandinavia, but plan well for petrol, and other supplies. You can camp anywhere uncultivated. Norway is very expensive, but safe and well organised. Sweden even more so, but much less habitation outside urban areas. Finland a bit scary, with alcohol and even more bloodthirsty insects.
Good luck
GSPeter

I'm planning on being in Norway in May next year.....will be riding to Nordkapp.....:clap

may give you a shout when I start planning my route to make sure I see the best of everything :D

Lofty
11-10-07, 21:49
Peter,

Glad to have you in the forum, I've only joined recently and have just bought a 1200GS although my job with the Royal Navy is keeping me 500 miles from my bike until Christmas at least which is a bit of a pain. I've worked for a few years out of Stavanger on the rigs and intend going to North Cape in a year or so, not least because I've been there from sea but not on land. Hope to stay in touch.
Mark

Liv,Norway
10-01-08, 22:03
GSPeter

Hei på deg, Peter!
Jeg har vært på grillparty i hagen din i februar, to ganger! :clap
Jasså, så du skal på en liten tur, du? Ja ja, denna ungdommen... :thumb

To the Tossers:
I was suprised to see a friend here!
So I told him I was at a BBQ-party in his garden, in the snow in February. That way I think he find out who I am. :)

Welcome, Peter!
I love it here!
And I have been over at Hograost - fun!
These Tossers are the best Tossers, and you are a Tosser too! :thumb2

They are so nice here, they even made me a smilie, this one: :liv

:) Liv.