Mapsource City Navigator Europe Upgrade

jayjay10117

Hi. Wanted to upgrade my Mapsource software to ver.9 and wondered if anyone out there has a copy for sale. I run a StreetPilot 3 at present so the software would obviously have to be compatible. I could download it but like to have the disc to hand as I have had problems before with downloaded software when the PC suffered a fatal crash and I lost the lot. Would like to upgrade the SP3 but it's working fine and I have got all the bracketry so no use jumping before I have to.

V6 V7 V8 V9

Problem
you need the disc, the code to unlock, you have to register the unit on your account on Garmin or it will not unlock

Garmin only allow two units per map system ( max) and both units have to be registered to you

I've been here done that!!!!

They have you by the Short and Curleys

At best you need a mate with one unit and one set to 'Share'

I have a disk (v8) very nice to look at but totally useless as I have no code
The latest is V9
apparently V10 arrives in early 2008

all will work for SPIII

Good luck

Magwa

Im still running v6

PS
the 128 chips don't hold all of the UK you either need two to give you UK and another for France/ Belgium ( not all of them either fits on a 128) or better a 256 chip
nothing bigger fits the SPIII

Thanks Magwa. This compatability/unlock/registration etc. leaves me lost. I know about the limited space on those little memory sticks. Am I right in saying that you can now buy the maps on SD cards and slot them into the new models?? Is it just a matter of buying an SD Card for the area you need. Now that sounds handy if its the case.

Garmin Probs

Thanks Magwa. This compatability/unlock/registration etc. leaves me lost. I know about the limited space on those little memory sticks. Am I right in saying that you can now buy the maps on SD cards and slot them into the new models?? Is it just a matter of buying an SD Card for the area you need. Now that sounds handy if its the case.

In short I dunno either?

I've just got 2 SPIII's registered in my name after an e mail session with Garmin.
The one on my bike is on V6 maps, the spare is on V9. ( on the chip but no back up disk)
I've gotta buy a new map disk and code so Im waiting for the new year and the launch of V10 so both can have the latest maps installed.
You can change the maps on your units very quickly if you own a disk ( I have to go the France/ Belgium this year.

I just carry two chips ( one for most of UK) and the other for where I'm off 2 next!

Simple and relativly cheap way of doing it.

A 128 chip is about £15 to £20 on Flea bay
A 256 chip is about £20 to £35 on Flea bay

SPIII units cost about £60 to £100 on Flea bay or via this club site as they are quite 'old' now but very good none the less.

you need to be looking in here for the advice...not far just click.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46
Good luck

Magwa:beerjug:

Garmin SPIII ( re registration)

If you contact Garmin and quote your details, name address e mail, garmin product code, serial number
They will change your unit into your name ( ITS FREE) and create you a Garmin account
They do want to know the last persons name & details to prove its not STOLEN

Try an e mail to this lady, she sorted my Garmin woes out!

Turpin, Rebecca
E-mail Address(es): Rebecca.Turpin@garmin.com

also see this link

http://shop.garmin.com/cartography/mapsource/policy.asp

we are by the S & C's these days, the updates with unlock code are about £45
its nearly cheaper to buy a newer secondhand unit with the later updates installed?
also see here
http://www8.garmin.com/unlock/update.jsp
for what updates apply to your unit

dooh

Magwa:thumb2

Thanks Magwa. That's a great help. Seems the only way to go is via Garmin. Might as well wait for v10 now.

Thanks again. :thumb

I bought a '2nd' SP111 from eBay a few weeks ago from a guy who couldn't get it working. Came with no software but had a 128mb card & a bean bag mount.

Paid £19 for it!

The day it arrived I registered it on the Garmin site & used my own unlock code & BINGO, a spare unit for 19 notes.

You're correct in saying 'Garmin only allow two units per map system ( max) and both units have to be registered to you.'

If anyone's after a 2nd unit, check out eBay & stick with it - one will pop-up at the right price if you wait long enough.

btw, I bought my 1st SP111 in 2004 for £649 & it's been with me for thousands of miles across europe so £19 seemed a good price for a back up unit.

:thumb

Nope.....v5 was out in 2003. Seems a new one comes out every year. Would be curious to know just how much changes from one version to the next.

Nope.....v5 was out in 2003. Seems a new one comes out every year. Would be curious to know just how much changes from one version to the next.

Well, with my serious hat on, this is what you might get in v9:

portstewartv9.jpg

Greg

But this was the very highest level of detail that was available for the same area in v5:

portstewartv5.jpg

Greg

God's own country.....You know ;) Definately time for upgade methinks.

i'm moving this to the GPS section:aidan

It's already there as that's where I am reading it from.,, :aidan You could put it somewhere else tho.:eek:

Be safe.

Pat

I've still got V6 on my 2610 but i've got V9 discs somewhere to upgrade when I get round to it.

I'm assuming that the routes I have created in V6 will be unaffected when I put V9 maps onto my unit....is this the case??

Cheers

Iain

I've still got V6 on my 2610 but i've got V9 discs somewhere to upgrade when I get round to it.

I'm assuming that the routes I have created in V6 will be unaffected when I put V9 maps onto my unit....is this the case??

Cheers

Iain

they'll have to be recalculated.

Back
Top Bottom