Honda XL 500 valve timing

Rob Farmer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My XL500 doesn't run very well so I've pulled the engine out to have a look. There's a very real chance that the bikes going to get binned so I don't want to buy a manual. Does anybody know which timing marks are used on the crankshaft when timing the valve gear?

I suspect the valve timings been setup one tooth out but haven't got the info to hand to check it with.

:beerjug:

Spent the afternoon putting the XL engine back in and cleaning the carb out again. There was 10 years worth of gunge in the carb. Put the engine back in gave it a kick and it went first time :cool: It now runs very sweetly for an old single. The cams worn along with the head so theres a bit of noise but nothing horrendous. Years ago there was a bearing mod for Hondas - is there still somebody doing it?

I've just got to have a look at the frame. Obviously the frames cracked at the sidestand and somebody arc welded it back together and made a right mess.

If I can sort the cam and frame out I may still tidy the bike up. It should make a great little off roader.

Attachments

• honda.jpg
    honda.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 3,722
Don't you just hate it when theres a part you missed :blast

Camshaft oil seal :(

Attachments

• cam seal.jpg
    cam seal.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 3,130
Valve train may quieten down then with the seal fitted .....:nenau

Theres some pretty nasty scouring in the cam and the head. It really needs both replacing but for this sort of money it's probably not worth doing. Theres a bad oil leak coming from the rocker box somewhere but I couldn't see anything wrong when I took the rocker box off.

I'm going to contact David Silver to see how much a head and cam are. If it's not silly money theres probably years of use left in the bike.

Thanks Ciderman,

I spoke to SEP a few weeks back. £100 for the mod and cam repair, however I sold the bike on after taking it for a spin - somethings are best left as a happy memory :D

Back
Top Bottom