Single Device On Next release of Mapsource

ianran

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Shock Horror
The next version of Mapsource (according to the chap I spoke to at Garmin) will not support being unlocked to multiple devices.:thedummy

So you just run multiple instances of it :nenau

Or is Mapsource itself going to be unlocked with a serial? :confused:

I have four devices served by my copy...this could be a problem :(

garmin told me that if i went to next release (possibly with v.9 too, it was a bit confusing tbh) i would have to pay for an upgrade for each device.

It's not Mapsource that's the issue but the Mapping (City Navigator), each licence with most of the mapping that Garmin supply will allow two unlock codes without additional payment. The first device being the one that the mapping came with when purchased the second is/was a bonus for the 2nd Garmin in your life :rolleyes: that can use the same mapping as the first.

Might this have something to do with Nokia buying Navteq who provide the mapping for Garmin and demanding that this option be removed?

I think I’ll be giving the usual update a miss next time around, its getting a little expensive owning two Garmin’s :(

Been this way on our side of the pond for about 4 months. With multiple gps's sometimes they will do you a favor if you contact them by tele.:)

do must of us need to update every time NO not really how many new roads are being built [not many] and if you go wrong it tells you.
i ran my 2610 on v8 for the Dakar and toured the EU this year without problems.
and did have a c320 running v7 in the car[zumo 550 as from wed this week]:)
some people are running v6/v7.
its a bit different for BILL[Fanum]as his is for his touring business .
ITS ONLY MONEY.:D

There was a big improvement on the mapping of Ireland with the last European release, but we ended up in Norway :blast But that aside, you certainly don’t need to upgrade each year, unless there’re is something your specifically hoping to improve.

this week, i have mostly been playing with metroguide europe v.9 and metrogold. very impressive & most reasonably priced :augie

can't see it as a long term solution though. metroguide australia is already locked, euro & US version must go the same way, i'd have thought :(

this week, i have mostly been playing with metroguide europe v.9 and metrogold. very impressive & most reasonably priced :augie

Same here....took a little while to get the 'find' function working , but it all does now and it's rather good :)

There's a basic misunderstanding in this thread......the original post said the product that would be locked to one device was MAPSOURCE....not the various maps that are locked......that's much less of a worry :)

In the mean time, I've got two GENUINE copied of UK TOPO and METROGUIDE 9 here.......I think I'll bung'em on Ebay to recoup a bit of the cost of all these bloody GPS's :eek: :D

Same here....took a little while to get the 'find' function working , but it all does now and it's rather good :)

what was the problem with "find"?

might save me coming across the same problem later :)

the only problem i've had with it, is that it takes ages (hours) to load large numbers of map segments up.

Back
Top Bottom