Off-road in East Sussex.

mpjbiker

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having nearly crippled myself on the Ady Smith off-road experience and realised how crap I am, I wouldn't mind doing some more gentle stuff to improve. However, I'm reluctant to buy a green-laner, cos after spending hours on internet, I'm buggered if I can find anywhere to legally ride in East Sussex. The TRF seems active in Kent, but the Sussex branch is miles away from me, more west sussex. Are there any b.o.a.t's anywhere near me in Hastings?
Cheers, Martin.

I live in Brighton and am keen to do a bit of offroading on my GS too. There used to be a byway just north of the downs west of Eastbourne (No downs east of eastbourne anyway!!) Trouble is it's not very long.

We might have to bite the bullet and ride further away I'm afraid. Try your local council offices, I believe they have accurate lists of BOATs.

I'm in exactly the same boat (excuse the pun) as you guys, I'd be up for a bit of a trail ride with some fellow novices. I don't mind traveling from Kent down to you're neck of the woods (my bike being fitted with Tourances).

I'm in exactly the same boat (excuse the pun) as you guys, I'd be up for a bit of a trail ride with some fellow novices. I don't mind traveling from Kent down to you're neck of the woods (my bike being fitted with Tourances).

me me me me me me too please !!!! :bounce1:bounce1:bounce1

I got Tourances as well and although I used to do a bit of trials and trail riding I haven't got a dedicated off roader now and have only had the GS a few weeks. I'd like to make a gentle start exploring it's off road potential.
I'm near Southampton but would be happy to travel a bit to meet up with others doing the same kinda thing.
Millard

The longest route I'm aware of is 15 miles, of which about 70% is off road.

The first part Jevington - Folkington - Wilmington is too wet now for GSes, it will be a lethal mixture of wet chalk and mud. It then goes via Milton Street to Winton. From Winton you can do Berwick - Firle (which is what jonogs refers to), plus there's a track across to near Beddingham.

Then take the track over the river to Southease, road to Telscombe, then track to the coast road.

The first part Jevington - Folkington - Wilmington is too wet now for GSes, it will be a lethal mixture of wet chalk and mud. It then goes via Milton Street to Winton. From Winton you can do Berwick - Firle (which is what jonogs refers to), plus there's a track across to near Beddingham.

Then take the track over the river to Southease, road to Telscombe, then track to the coast road.

Tim are you loseing weight ?

Hi Tim,
You sound like a mind full of info.
Sounds like us locals will have to meet sometime so that you can show us the way!!
Ever fancied being a guide!!
We could always finish up at the cafe on the road to Newhaven fort.
Some of us might even club together for the sugar in your hot drink.:D:D:D

BOATS in E Sx

Martin,
You might consider joining the TRF (Trail Riders Fellowship) http://www.trf.org.uk/.

Otherwise, get an ordanance survey map (large scale Explorer will be easier) and find the BOATS (byways open to all traffic)

As Tim says in E Sx the BOATS are Firle (near Lewes) to Alfriston and near Jevington.
Others are:
Pevensey levels, (very soft, don't even think of it on GS!)
A couple near Hailsham
A few around Arlington and Laughton

Kent has quite a lot of TRF activity too AFAIK but I'm not familiar with byways there

Alas, most of the fabulous lanes in W Sussex have been lost due to NERC bill
David

Checkout the off-road bit, trail ride this w/e if anybody fancies it... looks like road tyres should be welcome.

Get a move on if you want to do the 'Old Coach Road' as locals are lobbying VERY hard to get it closed to all vehicle traffic and they expect to get their way quite soon. :mad:

I'm definitely up for a novice's ride.

Get a move on if you want to do the 'Old Coach Road' as locals are lobbying VERY hard to get it closed to all vehicle traffic and they expect to get their way quite soon. :mad:

I'm definitely up for a novice's ride.

Me too

There's some more tracks not mentioned on the video link such as Robin Post Lane. I'll be back in the UK early June and would be glad to organise a small rideout starting at the Boship roundabout (A23 north of Hailsham) and finishing at Rodean Café at Brighton.

Maybe the weekend of June 6/7. If there's more than just a few it'll need splitting into two or groups. I'll enquire about the availability of 'Big Rob' aka Shrek2 to help lead (and pull our bikes out of the mire).

Hi guys i would be quite happy to lead a group on the local green lanes .
If anyone is interested it will be in the hailsham lewes area we can start on some easy lanes and then try some a little more difficult if anyone fancies it.
I ride an 1150 gsa and these lanes are easy on this.
If you are give me a ring on 07525169347 .

Cheers
Rob

Sorry Tim didnt read your last post:augie, That weekend sounds hopefully we can get a few people together .
see ya when you get back.

Rob

If anyone is interested it will be in the hailsham lewes area we can start on some easy lanes and then try some a little more difficult if anyone fancies it.
I ride an 1150 gsa and these lanes are easy on this.

... coz Rob always takes things easy ....

Attachments

• bog.jpg
    bog.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 117
Blimey, thought my post was dead! Excellent response-would love to come and play on that weekend, but unfortunately I work shifts, and am on 3-1 fri, sat, sun, so could either try and wangle time off, or peel off early and go to work, depends on start/finish times, really. Would use my scruffy old LC4 400, cos I don't mind dropping it and getting it dirty! Am off to Europe on GS 19th-30th, so will check on my return-cheers, chaps, summer's coming!

Hi Tim did you mean weekend of 7/8 wont be able to do that weekend just realised im doing Nadeems charity ride on saturday , I wont be able to get two day pass :handbag

Rob

Hi Guys

I'v just moved into the area and would love to tag along too. But i do have to admit I ride a KTM.

Back
Top Bottom