Flip Helmets.good or Bad please read (CONTAINS PICTURES NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH)

dazzer

Reaction score
This may be worth reading about a good friend Dazco ,who had a big off last weekend.

His flip front helmet was of a locking type and Dazco was sure it was locked. The damage to the hemet indicates a heavy front impact on the chin and forhead ,and It may suggest that the load was greater than the locks were designed for.

I read that In the UK all flip front models are only tested to open face helmet standards and not as full face units and that includes the BMW units

Could it be the the force of the impact pushed the visor and chin part of the helmet in to Dazco's face :confused:

All the locking and pivot points are damaged :eek:

IMG_00271small-3.jpg

IMG_00321small-2.jpg

Dazco wrote..............

howdo everyone, and thanks for the concern.
Everyone did an excellent job on Saturday.(my hat off to you all). i was more pissed off that i spoild a good days ride for everyone else.
The Ambulance ride was rougher than the pillion ride on the R80Gs with Mick(top man)
Sunday had a plastic surgeon put 40 stiches in the lip,a 3 and a half inch cut ,then Spent most of yesterday in the Dental hospital in Sheffield being prodded and poked(ooo errrrrr missus) and having that broken tooth yanked out by a cak handed student dentist. OUCH
The missus has been good about it all so far. shes probably just waiting till i feel better before she sticks the boot in.
One thing i have learned though is that ill not be using a flip front helmet in the future.The rest of the body took a battering but stood up pretty well(that extra padding i have worked wonders).
Any way hope to be back out on the road by the end of the week on 1100, if i get that drive bearing done.
See ya all soon
and Thanks
Dazco

ooof. get well soon fella to him. i've always thought they are very bad, bmw or not. those pictures say exactly why.

Ouch! That looks nasty Dazco:eek: heal well fella,good to see it hasn't affected your sense of humour:thumb

Oooh, nasty. :( Glad to see you can still talk about what happened though, albeit injured. For such resons I'm not sold on flip front lids or cabergs with the extra visor section, anything that chops sections out of the lid aren't for me. Best of luck with your recovery mate.:thumb2

Ouch

Get well soon --- thanks for the visual reminder as to why I didnt get one of those flippies and now i wont even get tempted again - ever!

I thought it was the other way round, the system 4 and previous system helmets were tested and approved as both an open and full face helmet (ie you can ride with the flip open) but the system 5 is only approved as a full face ie you are not supposed to ride with the flip front open

Get well soon.

Flip front helmets may not be as strong a full face, but just think what it would have been like with an OPEN FACE helmet !!

Nasty injury, hope you heal quickly Daxco.

I went to try a Shoei Multitech on and the spotty oik of a sales boy told me that it was the first flip front helmet to be rated as a full face in the UK.

Don't know whether to believe him though :nenau

It's a nasty looking injury thanks for the warning post and hope it gets better soon. I've been rattling my system 4 around this morning trying to make it fail or see how good the catches are ... considering most of the time I ride about with an open face job it does make you think twice!!!!

nasty, I ride everyday with a flip front, and usually up as like the freash air on my face, but am thinking its not such a good idea

nasty, I ride everyday with a flip front, and usually up as like the freash air on my face, but am thinking its not such a good idea

Me too.

Use to use my Caberg daily and my Arai for best/touring 'cos it had the autocom in it. Moved the autocom into a new Tour X earlier this year and use the regular Arai (White) for daily commute.

Think I may just chuck the Caberg away after seeing that!:eek:

Heal quick:bow

Spinning through the thread I didnt notice any mention of the brand/model of helmet Dazco was wearing. Name and shame :nenau

Jeez, that looks nasty!

Best of luck recovering Dazco, & hopefully you'll have minimal scarring.

I never wear my Bieffe flip-chin. It's 10 years old, but practically brand new.

I just never felt it was as safe as my Arai Giga II.

A guy I know carried a girl he was dating on the back of his bike back in the 80s. Loaned her his spare (open face) helmet. Aparrently she was a very good looking girl before he crashed.

I've often wondered if the chin bar on the likes of the Tour-X would be more susceptible to damage in a spill than on a more road-styled helmet?

Mark

Ouch!!!

Guess that's why the Schuberth C2 has a visual warning thingy in the chin to tell you that the chin is not latched properly....from now on I'm going to pay real attention to it!

Can I use the photos for my site ???

Back
Top Bottom