PDA

View Full Version : Highlands & Islands

Greg Masters
22-10-03, 19:14
I've decided to take a few days off from sitting at home doing f*ck all and head north in the early hours of tomorrow morning.

In Wigan I'm meeting up with a retired school headmaster who rides a Pan-Euro and we are going to amble up the west coast before returning on Sunday afternoon.

I'd like to get to South Uist (via Uig) and enjoy a Lobster Thermidor cooked by the hand of Isobel Graham at the Orasay Inn, but the ferry times are a little restrictive. I may have to settle for a pint of heavy and a bag o' chips on the mainland.

If any of the well 'ard gang see a GS and a Pan, geez a wave!!!

:beer:

Greg

CoolCarbon
22-10-03, 19:17
Bring the fur lined Jock Strap...............;)

CC

:cool:

Fitzdangle
22-10-03, 19:43
I wouldnt bother staying in Uig if you dont catch your ferry it is the original one horse town !...........

If needs must give the restaurant by the pier a miss.........;)

Greg Masters
22-10-03, 19:49
Originally posted by Fitzdangle
I wouldnt bother staying in Uig if you dont catch your ferry it is the original one horse town !...........

If needs must give the restaurant by the pier a miss.........;)

I've never been in Uig long enough to realise that there is a restaurant!!

:D

Greg

Mike O
22-10-03, 20:00
Have the Orasay improved the standard of their service? When I was in posted to the Outer Hebs in the late 80s, they employed local schoolkids to do the waiting - you were lucky to get your food within an hour and a half(no exaggeration). Their 'piece de resistance' was taking an hour and a quarter to come up with a bill (for 14 diners) and then getting it wrong and following us out into the car park asking for more money. RAF Benbecula was banned en masse as a result of the more, ahem, 'vocal' members reply to this request (& the frank - and accurate - comments written in their visitors book) :D

Seriously, they did the best food on the islands, but were a shambles as a business - the only reason they survived was the lack of competition - on the mainland they'd have gone bust in a month....

Give them my love

Mike:D

Greg Masters
22-10-03, 21:15
Originally posted by Mike O
RAF Benbecula was banned en masse

You should have been with the RA mob!

Greg

Greg Masters
22-10-03, 21:18
Originally posted by Mike O
Seriously, they did the best food on the islands, but were a shambles as a business

I think that the proprietor was a former Range Warden - perhaps new to hotel/restaurant management in the '80s.

For all I know, it's still awful now, but, as you noted, the trough was OK!

Greg

Zwerver
23-10-03, 07:41
Originally posted by Greg Masters
I've never been in Uig long enough to realise that there is a restaurant!!

Greg

I camped next to that restaurant a few years ago, to get the next
day ferry to Lochmaddy... Quite a few dogs used the small field next to the restaurant for other things than camping :confused:

Quite funny was the sign above the bar :

"Make my day, go away" ...

Greg Masters
26-10-03, 17:28
Well, we didn't make it to the Uists (my riding companion doesn't exceed the speed limits - any of them!), but we did have a good ride up to the Isle of Skye.

The hotel in Portree that I wanted to use was full, so we ended up in The Urquhart Caledonian Hotel (http://www.urquhartcaledonianhotel.co.uk/main.html) - exceptionally good and clean rooms with mega-showers for 25 a night. Private parking around the back and they love bikers! Recommended.

It was a little nippy in Galloway at 8am this morning (minus a few!).

Here's the GS on top of Rannoch Moor: