Starting Probs - Servicing a Bosch!

NickC

Following installation of a new Hawker battery I am still having starting problems if I don't run my '88 R100GS for a few days (getting worse as it gets colder).

The battery (even fully charged) on these occaisions seems incapable of turning the engine over (or if it does very, very slowly). If I can get the engine to turn it starts ok with full choke.

Once eventually started (usually by changing the stroke location/ using a car battery for far longer than my bike one would last! etc..etc) and then stopped, when I go to start it later on the same day (i.e. 7-8hrs later) I have no probs at all. Again if I run it a few days in a row the problem is not as bad i.e. it take less attempts to start.

Could my starter motor need servicing and if so what does this entail, is it just a matter of changing the brushes (I have a Bosch in place of the original Valeo)?

I am assuming it is not the battery as this morning I had exactly the same problem trying to jump it off my car battery (with car engine running) - eventually after 10 mins it started!

Cheers

Nick

I also had some strange happenings as this. would try and start it till the battery wont go no more. wait 5min and presto the single swing that the battery is capable of starts it. would also like to follow this fred

I had exactly the same problem trying to jump it off my car battery (with car engine running) - eventually after 10 mins it started!

Obviously Dump those Jump leads mate! Should have gone instantly with decent leads!

Secondly I would do a voltage check, 1st ignition off around 12v expected preferably more than 11.5!, then with it on(same as previous unless lights etc on) then get the beastie started and check what there is charging the battery? Hopefully more than 13.5 volts at 15 ~1800 rpm

You have many issues here

IS the alternator charging? Brushes worn? Diode board problem?

Are the Starter brushes worn and the starter needs a service?

Are the choke jets on your carbs allowing the extra fuel in?

What are the plugs and coil(s) like?

Don't forget the starter solenoid as well.

I would start the investigation with things you can do for nowt
clean the battery terminals and the connections that come off it !!
then try it !!!!!
Next the terminals on the starter soliniod and starter
Dont forget the terminal thats bolted to the Gearbox casing, and dont overtighten that either
then try it !!!
then go and get yer wallet out :clap

go through the electrical connections, check and clean it sounds like there is not enough power going to the ignition system (the starter is drawing all the power) also try the frame earth near the ignition module and cleaning the heat sink where it bolts to the frame. Hc

Hi, I had an intermittent problem on a valeo starter when I first got my bike. The brush holder was cracked. You can get the replacement holder and brushes. I'm not sure if this was done my someone's hamfistedness or whether it had become brittle over time. Taking the starter motor apart is pretty straight-forward. Give it a good clean and put some grease on the gears. Alternatively, the problem could just be a poor connection somewhere. Mine sometimes doesn't start first crank on cold days. Temperature does seem to affect them.
Simon

Back
Top Bottom