1200GS is OUT the door. 640 Adv OR 950 Super Enduro R

Underwatergoat

Dilema.
I can get either a 0 miles 640 adv or a very nearly new Super enduro R.
The GS is out because it's just so heavy and I'm fed up with being a hero.
I know the 640 is relatively tough but it's vibey on the road. I don't know what the SER is like. I want one bike to do it all, but better (easier) off road than the GS. I know it's a nice problem to have, but if I get this wrong I'm going to have to live with it for ai couple of years.
I know the 640 would do everything I need, but it seems a little strange to go back to a small bike.
Has anyone ridden both 1200gs and S.E.R properly off road?
I know anything can go anywhere in the right hands, but there is the question of how much fun it is.

Any thoughts apreciated, but stuff like "Man up and ride the GS" I've done and it's not so much fun as a Katoom.:D:D:D:D:D
Regards
The increasingly inacurately named Steve1200GS

I've not ridden either off road but I did own a Super Enduro last earlier this year.

It's a brilliant bike with a stonking engine and I would have kept it had I the room.

But it is MUCH quicker than a GSA1200 and I guess could get you into some serious trouble/fun offroad.

Get it !!

Is this comparing like with like? :nenau[/QUOT
Err not sure I understand, but I was meaning is there much point getting a Super dooper enduro R and expecting it to be easyer to trail ride/enduro etc. The only reason not to get the 640 is that the S.E.R might be better. People moan that they are heavy, but I have read people saying that you get knackered riding a 400 4stroke compared to a 300 2 stroke, so it's all relative isn't it?

Also 1 thing the 12GS does have is bags of grunt. I might miss that.
dunno:nenau

Head ache, bum ache, ear ache...........

I kept a 640 AdventureR for 4 years. I had rationalised to myself before purchase that it would be the ideal steed for a round the world trip. I realised in the first three months that the vibration induced symptoms made it not really tenable for a any such long term relationship.

I think sometime in the 4th month of ownership that some sort of mTBI must have set in. Anyway it took more than another three years to realise that there were more useful things to do with my hardcore masochistic impulses (like canoeing and running). Now I have a sensible1150 GSA (SizeXL), my bum and my aspirations live at peace with each other once more.

A 640 AdventureR would probably earn a place again in my stable if I had the opportunity but never again will I submit to 500 mile+ days on such a single that I have foolishly completed in the past. It's a fine power tool but the novelty quickly wears off if it is your only bike.

Never ridden an SER so I leave that to other experts. I'd like to try one out.

Thanks Boundless.
I'll try the 950 SER tomorrow if I can.

Name Changed. Super Enduro Secured. Should be collecting at the weekend.

Thanks Boundless.
I'll try the 950 SER tomorrow if I can.

hi,i've got an se and an 1150,i've ridden 1200

off road no comparison the se is a big dirt bike

on the road,1150/1200 much better

the bm don't get out much:D

loz

mind you i did van it to spain,if i was on the gs i would have rode all the way

Attachments

• 152146783-M.jpg
    152146783-M.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 653
I picked it up today and did the longest wheelie I've ever done within about ten minuites of riding. Effing awesome bike. Out with my mate tomorrow down the lanes in Kent. If I get any pics that are half decent I'll post em.
Can't believe I've been trying to trail a GS.:blast It's that Simon Pavey's fault. Nobody let him near a KTM. He'd probably be able to hover or something.

Congratulations on buying a great bike.

If you are doing some serious off roading you need some decent rubber.

Ditch the karroo 2's and go for something like the scorpion mx pro's takes the bike to another level.

105513385-M.jpg

What make? How much? where?
What are they like on wear using on the road? I still only have the one bike and I want the tyres to tolerate my Shortish (13 mile) commute to work two weeks a month.
I don't care about grip as such. So long as I get the SE dirty a couple of times a month I won't ever forget how absof***ingbloodylutley awesome it is.
Does it come accross that I'm impressed with this bike?

The funny thing is...
You'd be surprised who advised me to get a KTM.

I better not mention names I don't want to cause anyone any awkwardness. I was sitting down to a lovely meal in the Abercrave Inn.
The advice was "I'd buy an Orange bike"
They did also say that a 250 was easily powerful enough. They were probably right about that too. The 950 is MORE powerfull enough:D:D:D:D

Pirelli scorpio mx pro's

Tbh no good on the road, and down right scary in the wet, though I did do some 100mph rear wheel steering on the road in wales racing an hp2 on tkc's.

I wouldn't recommend them as a dual purpose tyre.

I've got a pair of supermoto wheels for the SE if you are interested. I had them made up on a whim at great expense, and tbh I dont need them.

173123323-M.jpg

187643269-M.jpg

They do look good. But I just blew my dough on the 950 and it's not quite sorted yet. I thought the bike was pretty good on the Karroo 2s so I'll just stick with them until the front is finished. I may try TKCs next.

I've got a pair of supermoto wheels for the SE if you are interested. I had them made up on a whim at great expense, and tbh I dont need them.

i'm interested in the wheels,i've pm'ed you a couple of times

could you let me know if you still want to get rid of them

loz

Back
Top Bottom