What Brands To Consider For Waterproof Clothing?

PhaedrusMC

Aerostitch & Rukka are seriously out of my budget, but I know owners love them.

I know of:
Hein Gericke (I've owned HG leathers and really liked them)
Belstaff
Spada
Spyke
Frank Thomas
Lewis Gear (I've owned waterproof jacket & pants and really liked them)
Bering
Alpinestars
Dainese

The HG Cruise jacket gets some positive comment on here, but I'm hoping to find gear a little lower-priced than that. It looks like a great jacket, but £280?! That's €400! I thought HG was marketed as well-priced quality gear?

I came accross the bering.fr website yesterday and really like the look & spec of the Hurricane jacket - £170 from bici.co.uk. Anyone got any experience of this jacket or any Bering gear?

Bering Irvine pants look good too at £120 - nice set for £290: under €420.

http://www.bering.fr/index.adml?r=171&f=1778

Mark

Are you after a one piece or 2 piece ensemble?

For value for money, quality and does what it says on the tin check out the one piece Olympia Phantom as an alternative to Aerostich. I got one recently and posted an article here.

The HG Cruise jacket is top quality kit and worth the money, it got rave reviews in a Ride magazine test when it came out last year.

Hein Gericke Gear is really good and it's convenient to head up to the shop in Newry from Dublin.

After years of "waterproof" stuff, I splashed our and got some Gore-Tex gear. It really is worth the money.

Hein Gericke is Germany (www.heingericke.de) occasionally do some really great sales with their gear and charge only about €12 to post to Ireland.

Not much on sale there at the moment though (except for the HG TRG Rallye LC3 Jacket going half price with limited sizes).

I have had a Bering jacket for a couple of years Mark but am not sure which model it is though. :eek:

It is a lightweight jacket but is of good quality and has proven itself waterproof especially in Scotland earlier this year when we hit some dreadful weather.

I will check this evening to see which model it is and will post a few pics if you wish although as I have it a few years now it may well be dsicontinued.

Overall though I would recommend Bering.

HTH

Edit;

I see on the Bering webshite that they have a dealer in Dublin. May be worth checking them out.

MOTOMAX LTD
1A, Main St
Rathfarmham
Dublin 14
01 405 5533

I think I prefer separate jacket & pants, though I've never worn a one-piece suit.

That Phantom suit does look good. How much did it come to, including shipping? Oh, and duty of course . . . :augie Is it proving to be waterproof & warm?

I think I'd still prefer the versatility of separates - the ability to wear leather pants with the waterproof jacket still appeals.

I had a look at the Spada Turin jacket & pants mentioned on that thread - they also look good.

Mark

I called Motomax - Hurricane is discontinued, but its replacement is the Hudson at €250. Looks good, Hurricane looks better.

This is the Hurricane jacket:

BeringHurricaneJacket.jpg

These are the Irvine pants:

BeringIrvinePants2.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

Mark

I've read alot of posts on here regarding "waterproof" gear on here and it seems to be that not all is qwaterproof as advertised. I think alot of the time you get what you pay for. I have a Hein Gericke Voyager suit that survived 2 weeks of torrential rain in Norway last year so I can defo vouch for their kit.
I've now got Re'vit stuff which has performed well in showers but I haven't been out in anything too major. Have a look on their site.

I think I prefer separate jacket & pants, though I've never worn a one-piece suit.

That Phantom suit does look good. How much did it come to, including shipping? Oh, and duty of course . . . :augie Is it proving to be waterproof & warm?

I think I'd still prefer the versatility of separates - the ability to wear leather pants with the waterproof jacket still appeals.

I had a look at the Spada Turin jacket & pants mentioned on that thread - they also look good.

Mark

One piece suits like the Aerostich Roadcrafter and Olympia Phantom are much more than just rain suits, the real benefit is being able to wear whatever you want to wear when you arrive at the end of your journey and quickly remove the suit.

I originally got my first one earlier this year and ended up wearing it all the time, loved it so much I got rid of my other gear.

Warmth of the Olympia with the inner liner fitted is great, but again that's taking into account your clothes underneath so even in the coldest weather you can layer up accordingly.

The suits cost $449 and shipping to this side of the Pond is about $80. Given the current exchange rates that's about £265, but you may have to factor in import duty on top. :augie

I recently bought some gear from this lot http://www.jofama.se/motorcycle_wear/ I wear it more than my aerostitch now. Seems to be 100% waterproof and fantastic temperature control with the lining both in hot and cold weather. Not expensive either. Local police have it on test but not heard any feedback.

Well having watched long way down I think Belstaff & aplinestars are out as far as waterproof is concerned didn't even stand up to one days rain.

Halvarssons The only company to do a CE approved Jacket and trousers, not just the armour the whole suit. Performs better than 90% of the leather suits currently for sale

www.jofama.se

The HG Cruise jacket gets some positive comment on here, but I'm hoping to find gear a little lower-priced than that. It looks like a great jacket, but £280?! That's €400! I thought HG was marketed as well-priced quality gear?

Mark

they do cheaper non Goretex jacket and pants for a lot less money which are just as waterproof- sorry I can't remember what they are callled. I had the jacket for four years and was never wet and only sold it as I wanted the Goretex version...

Where do you buy halvarsson from? Or this jofama stuff?

Looks good. Is there a dealer in UK/London?

Have to say I'm keen on Rukka. Expensive, yes, but they keep fixing anything that goes wrong with them for 5yrs. If you use kit every day like I do, 5yrs is a bloody good deal.

SPADA MILANO 2 PEICE.
Great all round gear, waterproof, warm and comfortable. RRP is £200 for jacket and trousers but can be got for only £149 here in Northern Ireland. BARGAIN!
Loads of pockets (20) and has CE aproved removable protection, removable themal liner for jacket and trousers and an airvent system for warmer climes.
What more do you need? The cash saved on your beamer stuff would fuel an africa trip!

trousers and an airvent system for warmer climes.
What more do you need? The cash saved on your beamer stuff would fuel an africa trip!

emm...something that doesn't look like it came out of an '80s Fieldsheer catalogue perhaps? :aidan

Where do you buy halvarsson from? Or this jofama stuff?

Looks good. Is there a dealer in UK/London?

Bought mine in East Yorks from Fiveways motorcycles Hull. Try these dealers in London http://www.myscooterandme.com/ and http://www.woodfordmotorcycles.com/ Still can't believe the quality for the price asked a few contacts and one of the police riders trialling the stuff has spent his own money on a jacket and trousers for his wife, might say something about the quality.

Back
Top Bottom