WARNING no more unlock codes for version 9

kyle

Reaction score
well, got in touch with garmin today to puchase unlock codes for version 9 only to be told there are no more being issued and i will just have to wait for the new 2008 version:(
so i enquired when this would be available:confused:
oh soon,some time in 2008,,,,,,,,,probably.:spitfire

it seems this is no fault of garmin but of the people who control the maps.
i confirmed this by going on their site and there is no mention of version 9
in the upgrades that i could see.

so if you are buying a second hand unit without version 9 you wont be able to put it on...

ps this in no way reflects on the guy i purchased mine off.he has been more than helpful:thumb2

well, got in touch with garmin today to puchase unlock codes for version 9 only to be told there are no more being issued...

Cant you get one from, ahem, "other sources"?:D

J

Cant you get one from, ahem, "other sources"?:D

J

They wont issue an unlock code for it though, so you're stuck with your current mapping until they release v10. The only way would be to use Metoguide Europe v9 that can be made routable using MetroWizzz. There are slight downsides due to the reduced number of road attributes in Metroguide but in my experience that only effects audio instructions for roundabouts, screen directions are still as normal. Depending on the area you're riding in there might be little/no difference between v8 and v9 mapping.

Kyle
Someone smarter than me may know, but when I bought the Zumo I think it allows me to unlock 2 units with Version 9.
If so, you can have my spare licence as I dont see myself using it elsewhere.

I might stil have the V9 DVD Daithi sent around if you need that too (If I can't find it, I'm sure someone else will have it)

well, got in touch with garmin today to puchase unlock codes for version 9 only to be told there are no more being issued and i will just have to wait for the new 2008 version:(
so i enquired when this would be available:confused:
oh soon,some time in 2008,,,,,,,,,probably.:spitfire

it seems this is no fault of garmin but of the people who control the maps.
i confirmed this by going on their site and there is no mention of version 9
in the upgrades that i could see.

so if you are buying a second hand unit without version 9 you wont be able to put it on...

ps this in no way reflects on the guy i purchased mine off.he has been more than helpful:thumb2

... so if you are buying a second hand unit without version 9 you wont be able to put it on...
Ok, in an ideal world all of us with GPS will always have the most up to date maps, but don't get too hung up about it. Version 9 only came out about a year ago - how many new roads have they built in that time? :nenau

I've still got Version 7 in my 2610 and have been on 2 European trips in the last year with just 1 glitch (which only took 5 minutes and a bit of common sense to sort out). When Version 10 comes out, I'll update it then. :thumb

- how many new roads have they built in that time?

Up to version 9, tourists with a GPS believed there were only about 100miles of roads in the whole of Ireland.. They seem to have found them now, so anything before this V9 is totally useless in Ireland.

Older Map Versions

You're right about the old versions not being too different from the new Taff in terms of roads, but if you want to go to Eastern Europe for example, you will want the later version as it has more coverage.

Up to version 9, tourists with a GPS believed there were only about 100miles of roads in the whole of Ireland.. ... V9 is totally useless in Ireland.

You're right about the old versions not being too different from the new Taff in terms of roads, but if you want to go to Eastern Europe for example, you will want the later version as it has more coverage.
Bugger - hadn't thought of Ireland, Poland etc. :blast

Version 10 will be out soon though - won't it? :nenau

Kyle
Someone smarter than me may know, but when I bought the Zumo I think it allows me to unlock 2 units with Version 9.
If so, you can have my spare licence as I dont see myself using it elsewhere.

I might stil have the V9 DVD Daithi sent around if you need that too (If I can't find it, I'm sure someone else will have it)

no good you've the nt version:(... and the other unit has to be in your name too

ok so this is a copy of the e-mail i sent to garmin yesterday.......

hi beccy,
i was on the phone with you on wednesday re getting a second hand quest registered to me.this has now been done which is great.
i must admit however that i am both puzzled and dismayed that i cannot get the unlock codes for version 9 when there is no alternative available to me.
surely this must be leaving a lot of your customers very frustrated,especially when you could not give a definite answer as to when the new 2008 version will be available.

the unit i purchased has version 7 which is very poor for ireland where i live.

if memory serves the version 9 disc was in short supply and customers had to wait quite some time after its release before acquiring it.
is this liable to be the same with the new 2008 version??

please can you give me any indication of when this new version will be released and what i will need to do to obtain a copy.

i appreciated your helpfulness today and realise that this situation is beyond your control,and look forward to any information you may be able to give me

many thanks,kyle

ps.might it be a good idea to put a message up on your website to let people know the situation?

and this is a copy of the reply.......

Usually there is a mapping update available but towards the end of year the previous version of mapping will discontinue in line for the upcoming new release. It would be unfair to continue with a present update right up to the release of a new update because of a newer one being available, for that reason there will be a couple of months gap in a year period where a mapping update isn't available. I will pass on your comments regarding the possibility of a message within the update section of the website.

Just to give you some more information, City Navigator Europe V9 was released in September 2006, therefore the update was available from November 2006 through the MyGarmin webpage’s. The availability of the update to CNE v9 finished on 01/11/2007 so the update was available for one year.

The update to v9 has been removed from Garmin's website due to the soon to be released City Navigator Europe 2008 early next year, unfortunately we have no exact release date or price for the new mapping data at the moment, however if you are registered you will receive an email once the update has been released with all the pertinent information.

It is no longer possible for Garmin to generate an unlock code for a v9 update, therefore we would suggest you wait until the next version, City Navigator Europe 2008 has been released. The new 2008 version of our European mapping will of course have many improvements such as greater mapping detail with updates regarding new or changed road systems, a higher number of POI's are included in the mapping across the European region and the route calculation are also much improved.

Please Note: As long as you have a MyGarmin account with a valid email address you will be notified via email when the new mapping update will be available along with all the details on how to update and the relevant cost.

I hope this explains the situation for you, I am sorry for the inconvenience this causes you and if you have any issues please let me know.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

i think you'll agree that they are abit vague about the release of the new version to say the least:(

:nenau now im gettin really worried...

what the feck is the NT version and is this likely to apply to the 2008 version when it comes out:nenau

don't panic.. different units use a slightly different version of the mapping... garmin will do both of the versions;)

Have you tried getting an unlock code online?

I recently bought a Garmin iQue3000 which had City Navigator 8 UK pre-loaded. I also own a 2820 which has a spare license. As I had a spare City Navigator license left from my 2820, I called Garmin for a new unlock code only to be told by them that they couldn't give me another unlock code for my new iQue. I then tried getting a code online - I entered the product number and bingo - a new unlock code instantly for my new iQue.

That was about 1 month ago so it's probably worth trying online.

don't panic.. different units use a slightly different version of the mapping... garmin will do both of the versions;)

are the unlock codes specific to the type of v9 you have??:nenau
i have the v9 disc just need the code

and you thought buying the satnav would make your life easier kyle!!!

i had similar grief recently with a new zumo 550 i purchased in the states with US maps and which I registered here on my return at the begining of september, and to which i wanted to install version 9. I got version 9 as an update to the version 8 that came on the new 2610 i had bought earlier. various calls to the garmin support desk to be told i couldn't do it etc. followed. ultimately on an other occassion, less than two weeks ago, some gent sent me a link with somewhat different "directions" resulting in me being able to load version 9 on to a card(not direct to the device) and off you go. Happy days. well sort of.

I am vague as to how I got it loaded because I simply haven't a clue.

good luck with yours kyle

Back
Top Bottom