Time for a new helmet

VectisTraveller

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Off to the NEC this year and it's time to buy a new helmet. Thinking of going the flip front route. Any thoughts and suggestions? A quiet helmet is one of my priorities. Thanks:thumb2

Shoei Multitec. Following a series of Arai's my Multitech has been an absolute pleasant surprise. Quiet, Comfy, Nicely built and less than £300. If it was stolen tomorrow I'd go straight out and buy another. Really great lid!

Switched tothe Shoei Multitec after trying one in a local dealer, was not looking for a helmet, just killing time but was so impressed with the fit I bought one.

Comes as standard with a clear and grey visor and is very quiet.

I got mine with a dark visor and Shoei jacket thrown in for £285 which I think was a bit of a bargain.

Not that I've ridden in one, but I am impressed with the spec and current prices of the Justissimo. Double skin visor, built in sun visor, removable coolmax liner etc for £130ish

Anyone got one?

Helmet info

Off to the NEC this year and it's time to buy a new helmet. Thinking of going the flip front route. Any thoughts and suggestions? A quiet helmet is one of my priorities. Thanks:thumb2

You might like to read my thread in Communications.

I bought a System 5 BMW helmet. It suits me fine and was the second quietest flip up lid on the market in a Ride Mag test. The best was the maker of same helmet can't recall their name, began with S.

Good luck:beerjug:

JR

cheap is not good

just too let you no check the lids date of birth every good lid has one
cheap at shows is not a good thing
beware of seconds there r out there. my mate works for a very good lid company ,and he said dealers buy them in bulk

:rob

rudiemoto, I'd really like to know which "very good" lid company actually sells its seconds, in "bulk" :eek:
Bit like selling second, sub standard tires, or condoms !

rudiemoto, I'd really like to know which "very good" lid company actually sells its seconds, in "bulk" :eek:
Bit like selling second, sub standard tires, or condoms !

Unless they are just cosmetic blemished - wrinkle in the paint, snagged stiching etc. From a liability POV any company would be mad to sell anything with substantive problems.

Me too sounds like a scare tactic by the bigger companies to put you off buying the cheaper helmets

Also i never seen a good deal on lids at the NEC that couldn't be bettered online

the only thing i'd say about cheaper helmets is... i've never found a comfortable one.... they all seem too hard... multitec for me too:thumb2

Also i never seen a good deal on lids at the NEC that couldn't be bettered online

I bought a Schuberth C2 from Helmet City for £294. It's advertised at the discounted rate of £315 plus £10 p&p, but there is a Blue Coloured Box saying "helmet city discount club" which will give you a further 10% off that total. So bottom line price for a Red Graphic Schuberth C2, delivered next day is £294 :thumb

The chap at Helmet City said that that price was actually lower than what he intends to sell the for at the show :eek:

As said elsewhere - the NEC is a really good, best really, place to try on a dozen different helmets too see which one works best for you.

Have fun,

Mike

Bikers Dream Lid

I'd consider a helmet with the following features, anyone want to add to it and make it "the bikers dream lid" we could pass on our design requirements to BMW or a cheap design house in China :eek

Perfect Helmet Wish List

Type approved
Various sizes for assorted head types
Lightweight
Flip up front
Flip down visor, (preferably inside helmet like Caberg not the Nolan ?)
Good field of view
Anti fog visor
Scratch resistant visor
Removable / washable inner lining
Integral speakers bluetooth option
Hardwired speakers option

Just try on as many as you can. It don't matter if it ticks all the box's, if doesn't quite fit, it'll be noisy and uncomfortable. I know:augie

Try the Schuberth C2 flip if you can stretch to it.

With someone talking next to you see if you can hear them. The C2 is v.good.
Internal tinted visor too, and a draft / noise collar around the neck.

Good Luck!!

I've tried to buy a flip front twice - always backed off. Find them unbalanced.

Also, what was that recent thread with a tossers lip split right open after crashing in one.

Helmet

I purchased a BMW system 5 this year and I think its the quietest helmet I've ever owned. It has a one point flip open. My Garmin Zumo 550 is wired to the helmet and listening to MP3 is a joy compared to my last helmet (system 3). BMW system 5 helmets have come down in price of late this year in Ireland from €520 to €340. Mine cost €490, so rather annoyed that I didn't wait longer.:mad: Such is life !:blast

Me too sounds like a scare tactic by the bigger companies to put you off buying the cheaper helmets

the only thing i'd say about cheaper helmets is... i've never found a comfortable one.... they all seem too hard... multitec for me too:thumb2

you could be on to something
he works for what most people would say the safest lid company
and yes why would any other company not destroy there seconds
:confused:

i would never buy a cheap lid anyway
1 have c2,s1,n91,rx7rr
i believe that head comes first then joints then feet and hands :rob that how my dada said :monkeypiz he wore belstaff and a p sspot lid :blast good thing lids and clothing is alway improving

Justissimo GT

Not that I've ridden in one, but I am impressed with the spec and current prices of the Justissimo. Double skin visor, built in sun visor, removable coolmax liner etc for £130ish

Anyone got one?

Yes I have one, the Justissimo GT that replaced my Syncrotec II as the new Multitec was too short in the chin for me.

I'm happy with: the sun visor!, wind noise good, paint job, visor indents allows a small enough gap for airflow comfort, price, ratchet type buckle, washable interior, wind stopper and easy to operate flip front, the style. Not fully tested in full-on rain, but so far no leaks in lightish rain.

Less happy with: position of strap not natural and lies too far back, have to reposition my ears for comfort as Caberg's are meant for tiny ears (not a problem as sides are easily flexibile enough to get your hand inside, rubberised buttons for air inlet and flip mechnaism get black easy (but clean easily), wind stopper interferes with view when flipped up (but is removable), inside of visor harder to clean than Syncrotec as visor fully closes when flipped up.

Overall I like the helmet, despite the small niggles it gives a comfortable ride, but had to send one back as a pressed metal panel/detail on the chin bar was not seated properly and let down the finish of an otherwise good helmet. Look out for this when buying on line.

oh, 1st post... hello
:D

Shoei Multitec: High quality and quiet for a flip, and lightweight, two visors and pin-lock which is great if you wear specs in shitty weather:gringo Also has a slot for your sunglasses / glasses to fit in without squeezing yer head.
Also have a Justisimo which is good value and decent quality but is heavy compared to the Shoei and a bit noisy.

Back
Top Bottom