No 'second unit' unlocking possible

Banjaxed

Reaction score
:blast:blast:blast:blast:blast

Well that's not very helpful...

As of NOW, there is no unlocking of a second unit when you get a map update. Having just bought a (hardly) used 2610, I wanted to shift the 'second unit' code from my old SP3 to the new unit.

No go - Garmin won't entertain that. As previously reported, v9 isn't available, and worst of all, as of the next release, there will be NO 'second unit' unlocking available. Have 2 units? Will need to buy 2 separate unlock codes. Garmin say that the 2008 update should ship in January (hah!) and every unit will need it's own code.

Now on my 6th Garmin and for the first time ever I feel they are letting me down.

Poor show...

:(:(:(:(:(

Sorry to hear that. Your experience could hardly have been in sharper contrast mine.
I got a second hand 2610 with the GS1200 I bought a couple of weeks ago.
It came with V7 software but no unlock code, so I called garmin and they were wary at first until I could prove my ownership was legitamit. After a week or ten days of emails they sent me a full European V9 disc and an unlock code yesterday free of charge.
This is my first Satnav and I have no pevious history with Garmin, but I'm very happy so far.
Millard

Yikes!

You're not kidding it's different! I've sent an e-mail to Garmin to try and 'deregister' my SPIII. Perhaps if I do that, I can at least get the new unit updated to v9 and unlocked...:rolleyes:

Over the years I haven't been able to fault Garmin, but this 'no second unit unlocking' policy seems like the thin end of the wedge to me...

Is it official policy or were you just unlucky in getting someone unhelpful on their staff?

millard

:blast:blast:blast:blast:blast

Well that's not very helpful...

As of NOW, there is no unlocking of a second unit when you get a map update. Having just bought a (hardly) used 2610, I wanted to shift the 'second unit' code from my old SP3 to the new unit.

No go - Garmin won't entertain that. As previously reported, v9 isn't available, and worst of all, as of the next release, there will be NO 'second unit' unlocking available. Have 2 units? Will need to buy 2 separate unlock codes. Garmin say that the 2008 update should ship in January (hah!) and every unit will need it's own code.

Now on my 6th Garmin and for the first time ever I feel they are letting me down.

Poor show...

:(:(:(:(:(
Yeh, thats policy now, bug8er as I have two Garmins too, I woun't be buying new mapping each year, its not worth it now :thedummy

Since September

I think this has been the case since September 07 I think. Garmin have changed there mapping license policy to be less kind to us :(

Is it just a coinidence that this happened around the same time as they dropped the price of the Zumo . . .

So, would this apply to a version I got in July but haven't yet unlocked, or is it just more recent releases?

Sorry to hear that. Your experience could hardly have been in sharper contrast mine.
I got a second hand 2610 with the GS1200 I bought a couple of weeks ago.
It came with V7 software but no unlock code, so I called garmin and they were wary at first until I could prove my ownership was legitamit. After a week or ten days of emails they sent me a full European V9 disc and an unlock code yesterday free of charge.
This is my first Satnav and I have no pevious history with Garmin, but I'm very happy so far.
Millard

Garmin are refusing to sell Version 9 as it's unfair to charge for it when V10 is due out so soon.

I must say, I've had nothing but helpfulness from Garmin. OK, they can be a bit hard to get hold of at times, but when you do they're more than eager to help. As for doing away with the 2nd unlock code...... I've lost count of how many times on this forum I've seen people offer their second code to someone else. Since the idea of the second code was probably to be nice to paying customers, giving it away to someone who hasn't paid isn't exactly cricket IMHO, and very likely in Garmins HO too.

Garmin told me the same thing - no unlock code for my 2nd unit. P1ssed off, I went online at Garmins unlock page and tried unlocking my new GPS - it unlocked it instantly and worked a treat. Try unlocking your 2nd unit online :thumb2 ( I did it about two months ago )

Garmin told me the same thing - no unlock code for my 2nd unit. P1ssed off, I went online at Garmins unlock page and tried unlocking my new GPS - it unlocked it instantly and worked a treat. Try unlocking your 2nd unit online :thumb2 ( I did it about two months ago )

i got a second unlock for mine about 2 weeks ago, but it was only v.8

Back
Top Bottom