daytime mot

guffter6969

It's probaby been covered but does anyone have definative answer for the requirements for a daylight mot, I've been getting an old Bultaco Sherpa and fancy green laning on it, also, does anyone know of any good green lanes in gods country? I'm not averse to getting a rack for the car and travelling to North Yorks, Lakes etc, probably the best thing to do as the tank only holds about a gallon and with the gearing it's running at the moment top speed seems to about 45-50 ish using my wind in face speedo!!:blast
Ta

You need a speedo a horn ,a batery operated one from halfords will do, a rear reflector for the back mudguard, then the usual brakes and tires, then carry all yourdocs with you cos plod wont beleve you when he stops you:rob

What's the definition of "daytime"?

Is it the period in between street lights going off and coming back on, or between official sun-rise and sun-set, or something else?

If caught out in the lanes when it suddenly clouds over all dark and broody, like, would you have to get off and walk?

Just curious :nenau

im a mot tester,afraid its down to police wether they think u should have lights on ,theres no set rules on how dark its got to be,

Hours of darkness are half an hour after sunset until half an hour before sunrise (read that it in a law book sometime in the early 80's). The actual sunset and sunrise times are posted by the met office.
Problem is the hazy area of 'poor visibility' when lights must be displayed. You can go out for a play in bright sunshine then it can pee down and you should have lights or it can become misty then a daytime MOT is useless.
Surely the old Sherpa's had an enduro equivalent with a lighting coil. Fit it, nail on a switch and horn with basic wiring and get a full MOT ,probably a lot less hassle.

In the latest ClassicBike mag there is a picture of a 16 year old guy with a ZB32 Goldstar - it has bicycle lights on it.

There was an AJS 7R with them on as well in last months.

I notice some of the mountain bikes round my way have pretty powerful led units - wonder if anyone would notice if you stuck them on:blast

still got to go through the headlamp test on mot,depends how well u know the tester,most pushbike lights wouldnt pass,incorrect beam pattern

You need a speedo a horn ,a batery operated one from halfords will do, a rear reflector for the back mudguard, then the usual brakes and tires, then carry all yourdocs with you cos plod wont beleve you when he stops you:rob

I have a day MOT on my kl250 and have just got what David suggests you need.
halfords horn
bike speedo
rear number plate
I carry my docs with me but have not been pulled yet,having said that with all the plods info at hand they know everything about you & the bike even before they stop you.
if you fit a light ,then have an off and break it while you are out it's sods law you will meet the boys in blue soon after.

Back
Top Bottom