Rear Bevel Box Breather System

Vern

Toy maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
I've been playing around making a breather system for the bevel boxes and so far have come up with this.

Anyone interested? :cool:

bbox1.jpg

bbox2.jpg

bbox3.jpg

bbox4.jpg

Stoopid question yime ?

Sorry about this, nut for the uninitiated, why do bevel boxes feel the need to breathe ? Surely introducing an airway into a sealed unit is only tempting fate, and condensation.

Paul:beer:

oblertone, it's not a sealed unit..... if it was it would blow the seals out. If you look on yours you will see a 'breather' on the top, if you ride through deep water the standard bevel box breather allows water in enter :)

I'll have one when they're in 'production'. Does it come in mandarin to save me spraying it?

Thanks

Johnieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

SPRAY IT! You heathen, how does anodising sound to you, lots of different colours to be had there, spray it indeed, go and stand in the corner:D

I haven't finished it yet, it's going to be dual purpose you see. I'm going to put another inlet on it, for the crank case breather to fit, if you don't want to do that, I'll sort blanking plugs out for you, that way, you can do the crank case at a later date. Oh yes, you'll have to drill a couple of holes in your bike as well;)

Interesting. Is that 4/6 MDPE delivery tubing? Got about a thousand metres of that kicking around at work and in my garage...

Why such a big box/bottle on the end of it? Don't think I could mount something that big there, as the pannier mounts would be in the way. Still interested, though.

I'm on the Mk3 already, I thougt that one was a bit naff, the Mk2 had the breather straight out the top of the bevel box, which was hard to tap in, and now the Mk3, has a stainless boss, with a 90degree elbow on top that screws in.
It's got a bottle that size, because it's going to share with the crank case breather, and needs the extra volume to be able to cope.
Peter. I'm waaaaay ahead of you on that one, it's got enough clearance to so you can still fit standard panniers, and mine, but I'm not so sure about all the other after market stuff.
Next question please
:beerjug:

That bevel box breather looks pretty much like mine, which I've had for years.

I run the pipe up to the top of the battery under the tank, if I get water in at that level I'll be worrying about something else other than the bevel drive box.

Mick.

Ther B 3 breathers - bevel drive, gearbox and engine... I think the drive shaft breathes through the pivots on the swing arm (gear box mount end)... but I could be wrong on that (for an R11 ... I don't have one... nor do I currently want one).

I have to build a thingy that is similar (possibly the same) for my K75G/S bevel drive... I know some of the airheads just run the tube up and over the frame and back down the other side ... near the foot peg. Then provides for all rotations to keep the oil in and the length provides enough volume for the breathing not to suck water all the way to the drive.

The gearbox on the K uses a similar fitting (if not exactly the same - I have not measured it) as the bevel drive.

As for the motor well it normally breaths through the air inlet. Unfortunately for all rotations (at least some of the ones I've had) the engine oil can leak out .. and get on to your air filter ... fine if it is oiled foam.. but paper ones get clogged with the oil. Again this is for the K75. Changing it may not be legal ... depending on what you do. I'd like to keep the oil from flowing at any rotation of the bike so may be a long tube over the frame and back down would at least reduce the flow.

Back
Top Bottom