HP2 canbus...

Mav

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

So, due to the panniers I have installed I needed to get some diddy indicators to fit in between the frame and the racks. Touratech have a small set for the 12GS but for some reason they are not advertised for the HP2... the guys are Touratech UK thought they should be ok so I fitted them.

One bulb has blown a few hundred miles after I fitted them. I put this down to bad luck. While it was blown, the dash went all screwy - the indicator light on the dash would flicker on randomly, the dash light would stay on, even after the key was taken out, gear indicator not working. The guys at North Oxford put this down to the bulb being blown... Today I put a new one in and in the 500 metre dash back from the bike parts shop, the indicators were fine - but the gear indicator is still not working :confused:

Could I have screwed something up by fitting parts designed for the 12 on my HP2? If the canbus was different I can imagine that is possible... Seems like a stretch to me but I thought I would check with you guys! Alternatively, it could just be a coincidence that my gear indicator just happens to have gone screwy at the same time. It consistently does not show 1st, 2nd or neutral but seems to work fine for the higher gears :confused:

Thanks for your help chaps!

mine went into gear lottery for a while, bloke at Vines said it might have been ingress of water in the switch mech so they swapped it out FOC:thumb seems fine now.

mine went into gear lottery for a while, bloke at Vines said it might have been ingress of water in the switch mech so they swapped it out FOC:thumb seems fine now.

It was pretty wet on the ride home last night so that seems pretty plausible. Thanks!

I guess I should give it a day or two and see how it progresses. The most annoying part is not being able to start the bike on the side stand as the bike doesn't know it's in neutral :(

carefully hit with hammer and the switch comes off then cable tie the twisty bit of switch in place so it can't move and cable tie back on to frame higher up and more out of harms way:thumb it's now fixed and can easily be put back to standard for services etc.

The most annoying part is not being able to start the bike on the side stand as the bike doesn't know it's in neutral :(
You should really disconnect the sidestand switch (do a search) or you may be complaining that the engine wont run next time it rains :thumb

You should really disconnect the sidestand switch (do a search) or you may be complaining that the engine wont run next time it rains :thumb

I probably should but you know that I will then be complaining about how when I started the bike, in gear, on the stand... it fell over :eek:

The other "My engine won't run" complaint is if you are in gear, holding the clutch in while you turn the ignition on, the bike brain can't deal with it and the starter button does nothing! Releasing the clutch and re-engaging fixes it :blast

my way fixes that I think:blast damn have to go and have a look now:blast

blooody switch

Disconnect the sidestand switch. Im telling you, its the best thing you will ever do.

mine is just removed from the stand and locked in the stand up position then re-attached higher up the frame.

Seems to be fine:thumb

I probably should but you know that I will then be complaining about how when I started the bike, in gear, on the stand... it fell over :eek:
Don't think you can. Still need to pull clutch lever in.
Only thing that can happen is riding off with stand down.

Don't think you can. Still need to pull clutch lever in.
Only thing that can happen is riding off with stand down.

Thanks for that Spout - I'll try that later.

Just to let you guys know - putting a new bulb in did fix the random dash light issue. Seems odd that a failed bulb would cause such weird side effects. :confused: As far as the gear indicator issue, I think Lo-iq might be right. When I get back to the bike after it's been standing, the low gears don't show up, ride for a while it comes back... guess I need to get a new unit like Lo-iq did.

Thanks for all your replies. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom