KTM vs Buell Ulysses

longdog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
No, not my words, but written by one of our Colonial cousins. Interesting observation is that he suggests treating the water pump on the KTM as a wear item to be replaced every 12 - 15000 miles, just in case!!!

Anyway, read the write up here

Interesting article.

I think he is stretching it a bit when he says

" Both of these motorcycles are excellent machines and truth be told you couldn’t go wrong with either, however selecting the best one depends on analyzing what you want from the bike.".

You could definitely go wrong with the Buell.

It'll lose £3000 the day you take it out the showroom and everybody will laugh at you.But you will have exclusivity,as they've only sold about a dozen in the UK.

Can't believe the guy thought the Buell won for instrumentation - he must of been blind, Buell won the switchgear in a cracker.

The Buell must be one of the highest depreciating bikes in the UK.

I quite fancied a Buell right up until the point I got to sit on one at the NEC. As mentioned the switchgear is right up there with Jinlun and Kinroad for quality. Having a "no pillion" logo embossed into the seat was also the height of naffness for me. The lack of rear pegs was clue enough for me and anyone who decides to proceed if there are no pegs is unlikely to pay attention to the logo.

FWIW, I have had test rides on both of these within the last 6 weeks....... and I liked them both! No, actually, I lie. I liked the KTM, nice well put together, good sporty feel compared to my GS and I could see myself riding one. Then I rode the Ulysses............. And I loved it!!!!!!! It's a proper bike!!! It has bags of character and soul!!! It really floats my boat in spite of everything good or bad that has been written about it. A great bike!!!!

Lets face it, you can read and listen to anything and everyone, but it's a personal thing. In fact, I loved the Ulysses so much, I am wrestling with making the decision to change my GS for one!!!!!!!!!! :thumb

FWIW, I have had test rides on both of these within the last 6 weeks....... and I liked them both! No, actually, I lie. I liked the KTM, nice well put together, good sporty feel compared to my GS and I could see myself riding one. Then I rode the Ulysses............. And I loved it!!!!!!! It's a proper bike!!! It has bags of character and soul!!! It really floats my boat in spite of everything good or bad that has been written about it. A great bike!!!!

Lets face it, you can read and listen to anything and everyone, but it's a personal thing. In fact, I loved the Ulysses so much, I am wrestling with making the decision to change my GS for one!!!!!!!!!! :thumb

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
And a dealer "local" in the spring and new at ~£6000 for a 07 Thought about it myself.:beer:

Who is doing 'em for £6k ?

I spoke to the chappy on the Buell stand at the NEC and he said I could probably find an 07 in the dealer newtork for £6.5k if I rang around.

Ian

Most HD dealers are knocking out unregistered 2006 bikes for £6k. See here

Not exactly helping residuals. Only the 08 model should go for proper money.

WOW

That is tempting........you hear some great feedback from owners about the handling and the character. Theres a journo in the latest MSL raving about them too.

I hear Tarks loves his plus it sounds awesome now with a Remus etc on it.

You are also not going to lose much by paying £6k for that either. After all there is a 2.5 yr old GS12 on here for sale somewhere that has lost about £3250 or more so even if the Ulysees is down to £3k in a few years you've still done OK.

I would have to find north of £4500 to put to my 1150 if I wanted a new GS12but £1500 to £1750 could see me sat on a new Buell!

Ian

Back
Top Bottom