knee surgery and riding

loueye

Reaction score
Anybody here had knee surgery and still ride offroad.
I had ACL, PCL and Medial cruiciate ligamant repair done exactly a year ago now. And i'm really interested taking up enduro again, but wondering if i'm going to tweak it again.
I wear asterisk knee braces which help, but dn'y know if they're going to cure the problem.:nenau

Biking periodically knackers my lower back when I aggravate an older injury. My osteopath knows they there is little chance of me giving up biking so simply fixes me up and off I go for another six/nine months before I am again knocking at their door. I accept this as the price for keeping sane and continuing to ride.

I have never ridden enduro but imagine this will be harder on the knees than road riding, on say a GS1200.

If you come off then there is a reasonable chance you may twist and damage your knee again. Depends how much you want to ride versus the liklihood of doing something to your knee which cannot be repaired next time round. Whilst medical advice would proably urge caution and no enduro, only you know how your knee really feels and whether it is worth the risk.

Had keyhole on right knee cartilage 3 times - just make sure I have an electric leg nowadays.

Don't do competition any more - but did after 3rd op - and just got back from Enduro Africa OK (apart from the broken ribs and toes :blast)

Only you can answer that question! Knee braces are a must though, and by that I mean proper, fitted and adjusted by an expert knee braces. They are only a preventative though, not a cure. You can still do some more damage if you have an "off" that twists the knee badly, but at least you have done as much as possible to protect yourself. Start off gently, and see how you get on. If you find yourself thinking about it too much (your knee that is) then it is perhaps an indication that you aren't ready, IYSWIM.
Good luck.
Mark

I rode trilas last year till the op and all was good, First day out though i did twist my knee and was in total agony for a bout a week, that was all before the operation though.
I think a lot of it is down to my confidence in my knee. I'm still building it up slowly, never gave it any "jip" really since the major operation in October last year.
I think it's one of those things that will come gradually.

Hi
I had an ACL reconstruction back in 1995. I have since riden trials bikes and played rugby with no problems. I have now retired from both, too old and fat.

Only you will know when you are ready, but it is possible!!!!!

Best wishes

ORCA:thumb2

Large piece of bone....

removed from right knee as a result of a paracute accident, good physio is the key, you have to build up the surrounding muscel to support the injury.

If it all goes wrong.... get one of those enduro sidecar outfits:thumb

removed from right knee as a result of a paracute accident, good physio is the key, you have to build up the surrounding muscel to support the injury.

If it all goes wrong.... get one of those enduro sidecar outfits:thumb

or one of these
wheelchair.jpg

:D

Back
Top Bottom