What do I need for a home network?

guitarman

I'm running a PIII Windows 98SE PC. My broadband connection is via an NTL set top box and a USB port on the PC.

I'd like to set up a wireless network to serve 2 laptops but still have the PC directly wired.

I think I need a router/access point and 2 PCMCIA cards for the laptop. What I'm confused about is the router to PC connection.

Will it be a cable to a network card in the PC or can I still use the USB port I'm currently using?

Is the NTL set top box really a cable or DSL modem and will any router/access point work?

Anybody got a system like this running?

Any recommendations?

Is it worth going for Wireless-G stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Dick

Router is connected to your broadband. PC connected to the router via ethernet cable. Portables connected wireless to the router.

Simple.

And don't forget when configuring it, to make sure you've got passwords associated to the channels if not someone can hijack your bandwidth.

Thanks Mike. I take it that I need a network card in the PC to accept the ethernet cable?

Anybody got any recommendations on makes and models and whether it 's worth getting wirelesss-G?

Cheers

Dick

you will need a network card as i doubt your PIII motherboard has a built in LAN.

very cheap one here.

some motherboards do appear to have problems with some network cards, but it seems fairly rare.

3com seem to make good, trouble free cards but they are about £35 last time i looked. if you can be bothered, they are often available s/h for about £8 at computer fairs. i have bought 3 at fairs, all working OK.

Router

I use NTL and had problems with the box so they installed a stand alone modem. Today I bought a Belkin Router and LAN card (for laptop) for £99.00 (reduced by £20).
It was very easy and was running in no time.
Not to sure best way to go if your connecting via set top box though !

I've also got a belkin router on an NTL set top box and up until last week it was working fine with two pc's and a laptop......Not sure why it slowed down so much yet but probably some dumb thing i did myself so i'm not moaning yet....but if you do get a router, see if you can run XP before configuring it all... win 98, even the SE version, can be a major PATA but XP seems to do it all automatically with no help from the crap software they ship with routers.

Not played with wireless yet cos spending 100 notes or so on a setup seemed silly when you can get a 10 mtr cable for under a tenner, at least for my needs.

Second the need for XP, 98 might struggle a bit with bridging the USB and ethernet networks.

Also make sure you have a firewall on the broadband connection - Zonealarm seems to work well, and I'm sure there are others. Always on means always accessible to hackers and similar miscreants.

Shug

Most Netgear routers have built-in firewalls. They're solid gear, and do wireless PCMIA cards aswell.

Thanks guys. All useful stuff. I must say that I am a little concerned at the set top box as someone else I know had problems with the router not recognising the signal from the set top box.

I hadn't thought about whether XP or 98 would be different speeds. The main PC shouln't be a problem as it'll be wired directly to the router but I suppose the laptop could be a problem. Unfortunately I won't know until it's all connected up!

I know it's cheaper but I don't really want to use a wired connection as the idea of drilling holes in walls and ceilings is a bit of a turn off and is far less flexible than a wireless network and how it would be used in this house.

I'm already running Zonealarm on the PC and as Mike says most of the routers I've looked at appear to run their own firewalls.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Dick

wessie said:
NTL broadband thread

Have a look at this thread - it givers details of the wireless network I use with my NTL cable syste

Thanks wessie. That looks pretty much what I expected to get except using a PCMCIA card for the laptop. It still bothers me though that I haven't got an NTL cable modem. It's a set top box which I don't think works in the same way........ :confused:

Guess I'll find out soon.

Cheers

Dick

Back
Top Bottom