Marokko-Topo maps. Question!

mystic

Reaction score
Addressed to Tim C. (or any others who are experienced in GPS stuff). Have downloaded the Marokko-Topo maps (road only) to computer and from there transferred to my GPS unit (Garmin 2610). When I try to create a route between waypoints, I'm only getting a "straight-line" version, as opposed to the auto-routing version I get with CNver.9!

Am I missing something, or expecting too much from a freebie download!

I don't think the marokko-topo maps offer routing having read the knowledgebase.

The easiest way to plan the trip is to treat each day as a separate route.

Create a waypoint for the each of the intended overnight stops. Use the routing tool and click on the start waypoint, then on the finish waypoint, then hit the escape key.

You now have a straight line route that uses just two waypoints. Now click on the route with the pointer tool (which turns it yellow) and use the pointer tool to drag the route to roughly follow the intended route. Used in this manner, each of the intermediate points you then create is treated as a via point, not a waypoint and doesn't eat into the 500 waypoint limit.

I'd strongly recommend this, then convert the tracks on the disk into routes
Not having seen it (didn't want to pay out £25 blind) I can't comment.

Tim

The easiest way to plan the trip is to treat each day as a separate route.

Create a waypoint for the each of the intended overnight stops. Use the routing tool and click on the start waypoint, then on the finish waypoint, then hit the escape key.

You now have a straight line route that uses just two waypoints. Now click on the route with the pointer tool (which turns it yellow) and use the pointer tool to drag the route to roughly follow the intended route. Used in this manner, each of the intermediate points you then create is treated as a via point, not a waypoint and doesn't eat into the 500 waypoint limit.

Tim

Didn't know how to do that, thanks Tim :thumb2:beerjug:
Not having seen it (didn't want to pay out £25 blind) I can't comment.

Tim
Looking at the tracks on the CD there seems to be a hell of a lot of them shown where there are no roads
on Mapsource, won't know till Easter if they are all pieste or if some are roads but they do look very good.
The pic on the thread linked above gives some idea though. :thumb2

Edit:
Just had another look at it, it looks very good, I'm still glad I bought it. :thumb2

learn to think for yourself :D:D

But, absolutely NO incentive ...... with so many all-singing, all-dancing, know-it-all, done-it-all Tossers just a keyboard away ....... all rushing to be the first to get in with their answer :D:D:D

We use the Topo maps all the time for routing along pistes, and although as said they're not routable in the normal sense, you can easily make and follow routes.

I select the area I want then zoom in to whatever level suits the complexity and scale of the twists and turns.....I then use the route tool to 'dob' the route I want along the piste to my destination...that may take several hundred 'dobs' but then you save it as a route and upload it to the GPS.....set the unit to follow 'off road' and bob's your uncle- the pink line appears on the overlay and depending on how accurately you've dobbed the corners and curves of the 'route' you can even see overall distance and time estimates on the turns page.

It's pretty much the same as Tim's technique of dragging the line, but it's much more accurate and although a tad tedious, gives better results IMO.

Of course, once you've ridden the route once, you can delete the 'route' and thereafter re-trace your track log which you can highlight to make far more prominent.

The only down side of doing this is you'll hear a constant commentary from the unit if you have the sound turned on, saying 'in four hundred yards turn left' when in fact it's just a minor deviation from straight on and the new course bears left- it's not actually a left turn.....once you know that though, it's a piece of pish to follow the routes.

Screenshot of one below........not particularly accurately drawn in, but you get the idea.
(shot taken in planning mode, not route following mode where it turns pink)

Attachments

• route.jpg
    route.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 330
Looking at the tracks on the CD there seems to be a hell of a lot of them shown where there are no roads
on Mapsource, won't know till Easter if they are all pieste or if some are roads but they do look very good.

Be very careful, and plan enough time for each section to get yourself out of the shit.........

There are, even on the Touratwat maps, the Michelin sheet and the topo maps places where a 'road', even one given an 'N' number, is in fact rough, hard, sandy or otherwise nasty off road track rather than tarmac as marked on the map.

We've sat at the end of an 80 mile piste that we know takes nearly a full day to travel across and watched bikes setting off down it an hour before sunset, looking at their maps and seeing it marked as a proper road and not realising it is in fact going to take them all night.

Oh how they must have laughed :eek:

Back
Top Bottom