2720 compared to Zumo 550 do I wanna change?

mermoto

Reaction score
OK GPS Gods - I have a 2720 which I have got used to over the past two years. I still like using the wifes Tomtom but my question is, does the Zumo offer anything other than MP3 and bluetooth over my trusty 2720?

Thanks

Mermoto

The Zumo has powered mount so one does not have to slide in a connector as you place it into its holder.
I have a 2820 with bluetooth and a tiny MP3 player capacity. I hardly ever use the phone and I'm not worried about more MP3 room, so I'm not upgrading. My 2820 has an absolutely brilliant sunshade as well - I'm sure you could get something similar for the Zumo though.

Does the 2720 have an internal battery? ISTR that it doesn't. Handy for setting up etc. in the hotel overnight. The Zumo has something like a 4 hour life on it's internal battery. However, I'd be inclined to stick with the 2720 as MP3 and Bluetooth on the bike isn't important to me.

Differences

Built in Battery and Sirf III Antenna are the main differences (Sirf II on the Streetpilot inferior in tunnels and built up areas)
VFM is also better on the Zumo, although you will lose some features that exist on the 2720 (although you probably know that already)

More review points here if you're interested:
http://www.motorcycle-navigation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46

HTH,

David

My 2720 gets me from A to B, finds all the POIs and everything else I need. Why bother to spend more cash to change.

MP3 - Plugs into my Autocom

Phone - Plugs into myAutocom

Internal battery. Never found a problem with it not having one. If I need to set it in a hotel I use the mains plug.

Better GPS reception. Maybe but in practice over two years I have never had a problem (and it gets a fix quicker than my wife's Rider Mark 2)

If I was buying today I would probably go Zumo but can't see the minor gains worth spending a few hundred pounds on.,

My 2720 gets me from A to B, finds all the POIs and everything else I need. Why bother to spend more cash to change.

MP3 - Plugs into my Autocom

Phone - Plugs into myAutocom

Internal battery. Never found a problem with it not having one. If I need to set it in a hotel I use the mains plug.

Better GPS reception. Maybe but in practice over two years I have never had a problem (and it gets a fix quicker than my wife's Rider Mark 2)

If I was buying today I would probably go Zumo but can't see the minor gains worth spending a few hundred pounds on.,

Exactly as me. Although i have a 60CS for hand held use.
In time i will look at newer units, but for now my 2720 does the trick.

Back
Top Bottom