mono & para wheels...?

bugspit57

referring to the rear wheels on 86 and 88 GS models..., these were in the transition years between the two.

has anyone tried to mount the four bolt paralever spoked wheel to the monolever four bolt drive gear or would know if this would work?

the hub looks the same on the bolt side but of course the para drive housing is different.

Also is there a four bolt spoked wheel that was used on the monolever??

Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by transition years. My Mono G/s is a 1987 and has the same rear wheel as the earlier bikes. July 87 was the final month of Mono production before the Paralevers starting at the start of September.

I tried to fit a Paralever GS wheel onto a 1986 R80RT bevel box. It wouldn't fit. I think there was a central boss on the bevel box that prevented the wheel from pulling upto the bevel box. The easiest solution is to fit a G/s rear wheel and bevel box but you will then need to fit a shock mount on the swinging arm or fit a shock mount to the G/s bevel box - there is a blanked hole for this so it's not that difficult.

You could fit an 81 - 84 twinshock swing arm, bevel box and an earlier spoked wheel. Probably cheaper but you will then to fit an earlier or modified swinging arm.

I don't think I've seen a spoked wheel on a Mono road bike.

Thats a well written piece and gives a definitive answer. Full marks to the Advrider guys for taking the time to write that up.

Looks like a lot of work though and would probably be expensive getting it done over here.

Good luck with it :thumb2

Hmmmm, would it be a wash trying to find a GS three bolt spoke wheel and swing arm assy?

Labor would be less for sure.

Just hate the thought of mounting a knobbie on the mag wheel and having a spoke on the front. :nono

The R65gs was monolever 3 bolt spoked wheel, and was made up to 1993.
OK not many of them, but when looking for monolever spares and parts, it's another bike model to look at, but a lower ratio final drive I think.

The R65gs was monolever 3 bolt spoked wheel, and was made up to 1993.
OK not many of them, but when looking for monolever spares and parts, it's another bike model to look at, but a lower ratio final drive I think.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind,

but chances of finding s R65GS in the States is probably purdy slim.

Back
Top Bottom