RS motorcycles

Triple T

Anybody know anything about RS motorcycles?They seem to have a lot of fairly cheap GSs.

if you're talking about the Halifax RS MCs they're also dodgy, have a habit of not letting on exactly how damaged a damaged repairable bike is. They aren't even cheap.

RS Motorcycles

If its the RS in Roding lane South I have bought my last 2 bikes there.
I have had no problems and its a good place to get a GS cheaper . I recently had my GS serviced at RS,and it actually felt like it had been serviced - in the past at other garages the bikes felt the same as when it went in !
Hope this helps
Steve

I hope this is the case ... I have just shown interest in a GS1100 (1999) down there. Looks good but just very tatty and needs a bit of a clean. But then again it is only £3750 - 1999 - 8000 miles on the clock ... will be very careful now that I've read these posts.

But I'm still interested in the bike. Am I mad?

The guys down there were very helpful and said that they are replacing all the bits that I had a problem with (respray tank and front mudguard, replace scratched rocker covers, replace seat, etc ... full service, V5, MOT, 3 month warranty, etc.)

What do you reckon?

I would like to hear from people who have actually had dealings with them and not folk who have read the other threads on this site.

All the best.

Horse said:
What do you reckon?

I would like to hear from people who have actually had dealings with them and not folk who have read the other threads on this site.
If you clicked on the link in my first reply - and the place is the same one then you ARE hearing from those with first hand experience - i.e. Mr Tickle (Geoff) who I'm sure would've posted here had he not been an IT numpty and got his PC stuffed up with a virus :D

I bought a 1990 K75S from them in 1999. Two owners, full history, very cheap. Basically it cost the same as one Bikerama had that had 9 previous owners, no history, and the wrong paint.

The bike I bought was ( I asssume) stolen recovered because the steering lock had been broken. But both keys were supplied and matched the original invoice.

I felt I was treated fairly by the guys at RS. It wasn't a brilliant bike, (althought it looked immaculate) and it wasn't necessarily a better a purchase than a much nicer one from a main dealer would have been in the long run as I had to replace the disks, rear shock, clutch etc within the first couple of months (bit like my brand new R1150GS then :rolleyes:). But at the time I had £2,200 to spend, and a similar mileage/spec/age bike at my local dealer was up for £3999.

RS didn't volunteer much, but they didn't strip the panniers, tool kit nor remove the note in the service history suggesting that the previous owner had allowed it to run low on oil at some point.

This was my experience. And if I ever end up working for the NHS again I would consider buying from them again. This is not to say that I would recommend them in any way shape or form to anyone else.

And bear in mind that my previous purchases had been much cheaper and from far morepotentially dodgy sources. Like West Yorkshire Constabulary......

rs moto cycles halifax me and my pal bought one from richard there it was descrbed as not too badley damaged ,we paid 3750 for x reg 10,ooo miles, 1150 gs then spent 16 hours work on it , 150 on tank spray 750 on bits at jefferies we got discount . mike and richard thank you now the bikes great . thing is you need to view but ive all found rs very easy to deal .and now got a nice bmw for reasonble money. also there a good place in hudderfield for s.hand bits and rainbow bmw where very helpful even thought we did not spend with them

Attachments

• bike done.jpg
    bike done.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 278
I almost purchased a stolen recovered 1150 GS from RS in February 2003. It was being sold extremely cheap & I visited them 4 times to view it. I spoke to the owner, who came across as a very straight talking guy at the time, but on reflection, he is actually a very good salesman, using strong sales techniques. The fella has been in the game a long time and knows his game and how to talk to the punters very well. I felt like I'd known him for years and he was a long lost mate after my first visit to him.

I agreed to purchase the bike but when I went back with a bank draft to pick the bike up, he didn't have the keys for it. His missus had them at home and she was 2 hours away. I was very p1ssed off at that because I had telephoned 2 times beforehand to let him know I was coming to get it. Those hours of waiting in his workshop opened my eyes to how RS operate and certainly gave me time to reflect on his previous conversations with me.

Bearing in mind I'd never seen a GS up close before, so when I looked at the bike, I just did all the usual checks. I caught him out on several major faults that were present on the bike to which I was poo-pooed a little by comments such as "Oh I didn't see that", "hang on a minute mate" and he would wander off somewhere or "oh that's nothing". Little pshycological digs back at me. After pricing up the parts needed to get the bike up to spec to be safe, I decided that it'd be cheaper to get a used 1150 elsewhere. I also considered about when I finally sold it, even if I brought the bike up to concourse standard, as soon as the new buyer found it was a stolen recovered, I'd be probably wiping £ 500 off the asking price.

The bike remained in their workshop for about another month and a half before it went. In that time, someone else on this board had found out that the engine numbers didn't match the log book. RS told me that it was not on the stolen/recovered bike register when I asked them about it -so RS had lied to me about that too.

All in all, I'm glad I didn't purchase the bike from them and I would never consider buying anything from them again as they lied to me about too many things. If you are going to buy a bike from them, I'd arrange an HPI check on the bike and watch out for that "allright mate" friendlyness. There was no warranty on the bike I was going to buy, so take along someone who won't be influenced by the need of the purchase, as they will probably have a clearer thinking head. I used to think that they were allright even after I didn't buy the bike from them, as they have loads of couriers using them. But as I say, on reflection of my experience with them, I found them out to be a big bunch of liars and I doubt that I personally will ever trust them.

Back
Top Bottom