'Off-road' routes on mapsource / multi map etc.

Phil Clarke

Reaction score
I'm sure many of you will have noticed that map source shows numerous roads which when checked on the OS map are actually tracks. Sometimes mapsource does show them as 'unsurfaced road'. There are some I know which are defnitely public roads but some which look rather dubious. They also appear on streetmap sites like multi map and google earth. I happened to be looking at the area around the Scotland / England border in northumberland around Dere st. and Byrness and there are quite a few here.

Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts on how these routes have appeared on mapsource etc. and what there status might actually be. Anyone tried riding them and what kind of response from land owners etc. did you get?

Good link that - tah
Actually quite a few byways in the southern part of Northumberland maybe I'll check em out when I next visit my folks.
But many of the off road routes on Map source don't feature although the definitive map doesn't seem to cover unclassified county roads.... Makes you wonder where Garmin got their data from on public roads. I suspect this has lead to many of the stories of twerps blindly following there sat nav when set to the shortest route mode and ending up on farm tracks.

Good link that - tah
Actually quite a few byways in the southern part of Northumberland maybe I'll check em out when I next visit my folks.
But many of the off road routes on Map source don't feature although the definitive map doesn't seem to cover unclassified county roads.... Makes you wonder where Garmin got their data from on public roads. I suspect this has lead to many of the stories of twerps blindly following there sat nav when set to the shortest route mode and ending up on farm tracks.

I think that this is right, only footpaths, bridleways,restricted byways and byways are shown on the definitive map.
UCR's should be on the list of streets that the highway dept of the local council keep.
They are generally shown on OS maps with green dots or on the landranger as red dots.
There is a classic example of following a GPS route here
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105751
A great write up:thumb2

Tah for the links Forry I now have print outs of lots of maps from the northumberland council site - I'll try and do some reccying when I next visit my folks.

I saw your other posting last year and I reckoned that was Deer st. from the photos. I'd never try it on the GS as I'm on tourances and my off road forays on the Isle of Man last August put me off taking the 1200 off road for a bit. I'll maybe have a plonk along Deer st. on my Ariel at some point, if I ever get it MOT'd.

Back
Top Bottom