Only one cylinder working

MMC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
They're supposed to be twins, aren't they? You know, both cylinders working and all that.

Any ideas why my R100RS ain't firing on the right hand pot?

I've not used it for a few days, but jump-started it from the car. It ran absolutely fine on Friday, but went to use it today and it would only run on one cylinder. Why was it OK on Friday but not today (apart from the fact I was selling it today, so sod's law operates)?

- there's a spark at all plugs (it's twin plugged)
- there's fuel getting to the carbs on both sides
- cables are moving freely as they should

The right hand plugs are pretty crapped with unburned fuel, but there's still a spark at both. The coils have done less than 1k, as have the spark plugs. Fuel is recent.

I've had both carbs off and cleaned them through. All jets clear and fine.

Dunno? What's left to try - given that it was AOK on Friday and two days later the right pot's dead. :nenau

Try swapping plug leads over , if the problem is now with the left it suggests

plug lead
plug cap
coil

Good look

Harry

Try swapping plug leads over , if the problem is now with the left it suggests

plug lead
plug cap
coil

Good look

Harry

If its 'twin plugged' the two coils will be wired in series so if one dies they both die (it happened to me). The coils are only 1.5 ohms so would draw far too much current if wired in parallel . . (they ARE wired in series, aren't they :augie).

Are the choke cables operating properly ?

I ask because I had one cable pull through the splitter so the bar lever only operated one carb. Being a horizontally opposed twin, the running cylinder doesn't heat the dead cylinder, so it used to start on one pot only (and sometimes the second one caught, sometimes not).

Try closing the gap a little on one plug in the dead pot or pre-heat the plugs. It sometimes works but isn't a cure.

Is compression OK ?

Bob.

If its 'twin plugged' the two coils will be wired in series so if one dies they both die (it happened to me). .

That all depends on what coils are fitted. :augie

Anyway...
Take out and clean the righthand plug - then replace.

Pour a kettle of boiling water over the right hand carb and cylinder. Then see if it starts. There you go :thumb

Pour a kettle of boiling water over the right hand carb and cylinder. Then see if it starts. There you go :thumb

I used to have to do that on my twin plugged GSPD in very cold weather too:thumb2....occasionally the bottom plug would have oiled up, possibly down to a worn valve guide??

That all depends on what coils are fitted. :augie

Anyway...

Cheers Neil, Tim, Bob, Harry,

They're Dyna Coils and only went on in August (when Andrew Sexton sorted various bits and bobs out), so hoping they're still OK... There's certainly a spark both sides.

I'll give the plug a clean (just looked - it's pretty shitty black) and try your kettle idea... I'm in a hard water area - should I use German spring water just to be safe??? :D Do you think it's worth getting the vicar to bless the water first too?

If it gets you above £1605.55 then it'd be worth it ;)

Indeed!

Bloody thing had been running an absolute treat until lunchtime today when a prospective buyer had come to take a look. I felt a complete arse, confidently starting the bike up, then, er, chug, chug, chug. Great.

I've never, EVER had such a difficult time selling a bike, particularly one that's such a gem. Maybe I should just give up and fund the new oilhead from the bank account instead of selling this one?! :D

Anyway, out tomorrow AM early to try a remote version of St Eptoe's healing hands, a new set of plugs and a kettle. If that doesn't work I'll pull the Fleabay ad until she's running right again. I'd really like to get it fixed by lunchtime tomorrow so I can get to the shops for a bit of Christmas shopping... Got the RH carb stripped out, rebuilt and warming by the radiator :D

It does look a very, very nice bike. I'm sure whoever buys it will enjoy it.

I've only had it since July, but I'm very fond of it already. I'll see how tomorrow goes - that RS fairing is awfully appealing for the winter, and with enough ACF50 on it, I could ride it through the winter in comfort and flog it for proper ££ in the spring.

IF I CAN GET THE DAMN THING GOING PROPERLY!!!!!! :D

I take it the 'prospective buyer' is still just that :D:D:D
And to think, I nearly bought it myself, until the price on the original advert mysteriously modded up £500.
I was pretty pissed off at the time, must say, starting to look like the mod did me a favour - putting me off like that. :augie

I take it the 'prospective buyer' is still just that :D:D:D
And to think, I nearly bought it myself, until the price on the original advert mysteriously modded up £500.
I was pretty pissed off at the time, must say, starting to look like the mod did me a favour - putting me off like that. :augie

Always a pleasure to be of use.

I may not sell it yet - it's certainly not going if I know there's anything wrong with it. If I can't get it running properly it'll be heading to someone who's better at diagnostics than I am. Let's hope St Eptoe isn't too busy after Christmas.

The 'prospective buyer' apparently crashed his car, had it written off nearly three weeks later and so couldn't afford the bike - although I had to call him to find out. Not quite sure how convinced I am about the genuineness of the prang...

Yup. Works. Absolutely fine. Just got back from a slightly chilly 75 miler round the Cotswolds, all the sweeter because I should have been wrapping pressies. Bike ran superbly - like a rather heavy, well-oiled, Krups-manufactured sewing machine. The sort of sewing machine you'd stitch tank tracks with...

So, do I keep her or sell her???

So, do I keep her or sell her???

Sell her to me, it's obviously an unreliable cantakerous heap, I'd be doing you a favour to take it off your hands for £55.55 :rolleyes:

You might get a little more elsewhere though :(

Surprised Proff hasn't been beating down your door to add to his collection.

And now at £1850, and yet to get above the reserve price.

Sell her to me, it's obviously an unreliable cantakerous heap, I'd be doing you a favour to take it off your hands for £55.55 :rolleyes:

You might get a little more elsewhere though :(

Surprised Proff hasn't been beating down your door to add to his collection.

And now at £1850, and yet to get above the reserve price.

I may hve been the bidder just below reserve last time:augie:augie
Only MMC will know that:rolleyes: k***9

Nope. Can't do it. Just cancelled the listing on Fleabay.

I took her out for a farewell blast in the Cotswolds this morning, did about 75 miles, and decided over a lunchtime pint sat looking at her in a bloody cold pub carpark that I couldn't bear to part with her. So I've just ended the listing. I'll get the R1150 in any case, but I'll just find a different way to fund it.

There. Feel better now! :thumb Sorry Proff :D :beerjug:

Nope. Can't do it. Just cancelled the listing on Fleabay.

I took her out for a farewell blast in the Cotswolds this morning, did about 75 miles, and decided over a lunchtime pint sat looking at her in a bloody cold pub carpark that I couldn't bear to part with her. So I've just ended the listing. I'll get the R1150 in any case, but I'll just find a different way to fund it.

There. Feel better now! :thumb Sorry Proff :D :beerjug:

No problem Mark :D
I'd have just rubbed it in every time you posted, If I had got it :augie
You ARE doing the right thing :thumb2

Remember a "MINT" R100RS is not just for Christmas :rob

It should now be put into the "valueless" class, same as my R80g/s, R90s and R26.......Not For Sale, because they are worth nothing, plus being irreplaceable.

NOW there might be a very nice '87 80g/s pd for sale in the New year :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom