Steam Railway, Beer and Camping in Lake District.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cumbriabeems

Hi all,

After a TERRIBLE 2nd half of 2007 with 2 moving discs in the back, followed by damage to the nerve compressed by it, I (and Mrs Beems) feel in the mood for organising a little excursion for a select few (anyone!! ) GSers to a lovely corner of Cumbria.
This will be in the spring, but we am starting now with the programme to give me time to make plans.

Friday eve or Saturday morning depending on choice, meet up in Keswick for the convenience of any more distant travellers. Ride out to the camp site at Eskdale:

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=1080

Here we have all the facilities required plus a good pub a short walk away for a good meal at reserved tables on Saturday night.

On the Saturday we can hitch a ride on the famous 'laal ratty' , laal being Cumbrian for little.

http://www.ravenglass-railway.co.uk/

It's a narrow gauge steam railway travelling down the valley through lovely scenery. Also plenty of walks and a superb range of rides from the site, either on your own or we can organise a group ride. Hardknott and Wrynose passes are within a few miles.

Finishing on Sunday with a trip to Grange over Sands and Humphrey Head for a ride on the beach. Then easy access to the M6 and Devils Bridge Direction.

Dates to be organised, but will be in the spring when its good weather here. Anyone interested please PM us to go on a 'interested parties' list.

Cheers !!!!!!!!

David & Lyn

re trip and camping

me and the good woman could be interested in your trip depends on dates as i work 3 on and 3 off could you either send details or post on here as soon as you know cheers john and fiona

I'm in (if it doesn't clash with Morocco trip in mid April), enjoyed your last ride. :thumb2

It`s a great campsite that, campfires & close to pubs & exciting passes over fantastic scenery :thumb2

Ah yes a great campsite indeed with the addded bonus of no mobile reception which can be useful in this day and age (well that was the case a few years ago when I stopped there on a stag wkend). May be up for this trip but can only confirm nearer the date

Date Soon

Hi

Still working on the date for this weekend. Should have the possible dates within a few days, then will put them on here.

David

Good choice of campsite.

It's been 21 years since I last stayed there, so it's probably changed a wee bit. We went the week before the Spring Bank Holiday and were the only tent on the site.

Depending on dates, I'd love to join you there.

We rather fancy this but as the saying goes, "it depends on the dates"
march or April is good for us as we have lots on in May and June.

Hi
Still working on the date for this weekend. Should have the possible dates within a few days, then will put them on here.
David

Hi,
Any thoughts on possible dates?
Middle of June onwards is good for me :thumb
Geoff

Right !

OK all, now the biking season is really starting to kick in, (except today of course), I will get organised for this trip. I am working today, but this eve will put some dates on here to vote on. We may have a change of site and stay at Scotgate in Braithwaite - more facilities, pubs etc.

Cheers for the interest

David

OK all, now the biking season is really starting to kick in, (except today of course), I will get organised for this trip. I am working today, but this eve will put some dates on here to vote on. We may have a change of site and stay at Scotgate in Braithwaite - more facilities, pubs etc.
Cheers for the interest
David

I've stayed in the National Trust campsite at the end of Great Langdale and it's very good. Two pubs within walking distance. The one at Old Dungeon Ghyll is Good Beer Guide recommended too :thumb

There is a 99% I won't come, but just for that 1% chance my schedule and wife say yes: I do love steam trains & bikes!

So I follow this thread.
Thank uyo.

Final Planning

OK all

Just in the last stage of planning this, and a date (or choice of dates for a vote) will be on here this week.

Slightly revised plan but just as good.

Friday - Arrive any time you can at Scotgate Camp Site in Braithwaite near Keswick. A couple of good pubs in the village for a drink and meal.

Saturday - Head off over Whinlatter Pass toward the small village of Boot for a ride on the steam train to Ravenglass and back, then over Hard Knott and Wrynose Passes :eek: and a ride up through the Lakes back to the site.
Evening bar meal in Braithwaite or if fine a walk into Keswick for a night out. Must be quiet getting back onto site though :rob lol

Sunday - Pack up and have a ride out / go home etc etc

Will keep you posted.

David & Lyn

date for the weekend away

We have sorted a date for the weekend at Braithwaite, near Keswick. Arrive Friday 6th June and stay until the Sunday morning.

Anyone interested in joining us send a pm and we will fill you in with the details. Lyn & David

:thumb2

Doubt if I'll do the camping thing, but might join you on the Saturday for the ride out. No probs with date, I start my holidays that weekend, and I've been wondering just what I'm gonna do with them...

Dave.

Not for us I'm afraid, just getting back from our France trip then....one day mate:nenau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom