State of The Roads

Our Gee

Reaction score
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the Crappy State of the Roads this Winter. I,m not talking about Potholes, Breaking up Surfaces, Ruts and Grooves but the General lack of Grip since the the Obligatory and sometimes un-necessary "Salt / Grit" spreading started. A couple of days ago whilst exiting the "Wolviston" Roundabout off the A19 towards Hartlepool albeit in a very cautious manner, the Back End let go in a big way. A hefty "trials rider" left boot "Dab" saved the day but the Trauma experienced was enough for me to stop and walk back for a closer inspection. No Diesel, no Mud, no Cow Shit, just very wet black tarmac with a Friction Value of zero. In fact if it was in a public building it would have had the Yellow Slippy Floor Signs in Place !!. Continuing the journey I noticed that the Grass Verges where stained Black for at least 8 feet in from the Gutter. Just what are the powers that be putting on the Roads this Winter !!. Go Steady, It,s Hell out There.
Mike Tee.

Yep,Know what you mean. Hoping for a good downpour today to wash them off for sunday.
It's rather exciting trying to make decent progress on a pogo on enduro rubber:eek:

Know exactly what you mean, apparently it is caused by a 'pre treated wet grit' . It was the first time it is being used up here after being used down south. I am not sure how it works but I assume it is so that it doesn't get washed off the roads so easily. Funnily enough apart from a couple of locked back brake in to slow corner moments it has been fine on the bike, well apart from the layer of crap. But the car has been hilarious, just drifting about like a bit of a headcase :)

I read somewhere else, recently, that they're adding molasses to the rocksalt that's being spread this year... Making things a bit slimy by all accounts :mad:

Instead if wining about them, why not change them by reporting them to your local authority.
It's easily done through either MAG, or emailing your local council.

In my experience they do respond very promptly. :thumb

Why not have it repaired / replaced / redesigned and save some other person from experiencing the same problem. Also by reporting it, if another road user (biker) has a similar problem and the fault has not been fixed within a specified time, then compensation for injuries received is not a problem.

Let's all report road defects and make our councils work for us

Back
Top Bottom