2820 Vs zumo 550

HR0

Reaction score
title says it all really.

I am considering changing my Quest I to something that will hold europe in its memory, and can be used walking etc

my quest has been brill, just want bigger memory and it looks like the Quest II can't quite cope, acording to threads on site.

If you want to use it for walking too, you'll need an internal battery....the Zumo has one, I don't believe the 2820 has...:nenau

more memory, walking, what about one of these?

rf-lg.jpg

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=310#

small, not that bright screen, but otherwise rather good.

edit: forgot to say, CHEAP if bought in the USA :)

Colorado 400

Sit tight a couple of months and go for this one:

colorado.bmp

Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 2.4" x 5.5" x 1.4" (6.0 x 13.9 x 3.5 cm)
Display size, WxH: 1.5"W x 2.5"H (3.8 x 6.3 cm); 3" diag (7.6 cm)
Display resolution, WxH: 200 x 400 pixels
Display type: TFT color display Weight: 7.3 oz (206.9 g) with batteries
Battery: 2 AA or 2 NiMH batteries
Battery life: 16 hours
Waterproof: yes (IPX7)
Floats: no
High-sensitivity receiver: yes
PC interface: USB
Basemap: yes
Ability to add maps: yes
Built-in memory: 384 MB
Accepts data cards: SD card
Waypoints/favorites: 1000
Routes: 50
Track log: 10,000 points, 20 saved tracks
Automatic routing: yes
Electronic compass: yes
Barometric altimeter: yes
Geocaching mode: yes
Outdoor GPS games: yes
Hunt/fish calendar: yes
Sun and moon information: yes
Area calculation: yes
Custom POIs: yes
Picture viewer: yes
3D map view: yes
Unit-to-unit transfer (shares data wirelessly with similar units): yes

If you want something substantially better (on the bike that is) go for the 278.

Neither the 2820 nor the Zumo are good choises in your case. There is no battery in the 2820 and the Zumo doesn't work well with the topo map.

cheers folks, alot more homework needed, !!!!!
i will look at these.
have to say the bike routing around europe is the primary need, and treking across wales etc secondary, even have paper maps and a compass to help with this bit.

I am considering changing my Quest I to something that will hold europe in its memory, and can be used walking etc.

Not sure such a gadget exists (in the Garnin range) ....

2820 no internal battery so no good for walking, Zumo battery only lasts around 4hrs. OTOH, I have tried the small screen units (76 and 60 series) and they are hopeless on the bike (screen too small, small buttons, batteries shake loose, no voice guidance, etc).

You may have to end up with 2 units if the budget allows. :eek: My choices would be Zumo 550 (it's LOTS better than the 2820) for the bike and car and a 60Csx for hiking.

more memory, walking, what about one of these?

rf-lg.jpg

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=310#

small, not that bright screen, but otherwise rather good.

edit: forgot to say, CHEAP if bought in the USA :)
A much under-rated Bike GPS, I got mine off ebay America for about £170 and loaded it via Metrowizz with Metroguide, work's a treat!

P.S. the 60Csx doesn't talk, but it can be set to beep if your using it in the car

Sit tight a couple of months and go for this one:

colorado.bmp

Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 2.4" x 5.5" x 1.4" (6.0 x 13.9 x 3.5 cm)
Display size, WxH: 1.5"W x 2.5"H (3.8 x 6.3 cm); 3" diag (7.6 cm)
Display resolution, WxH: 200 x 400 pixels
Display type: TFT color display Weight: 7.3 oz (206.9 g) with batteries
Battery: 2 AA or 2 NiMH batteries
Battery life: 16 hours
Waterproof: yes (IPX7)
Floats: no
High-sensitivity receiver: yes
PC interface: USB
Basemap: yes
Ability to add maps: yes
Built-in memory: 384 MB
Accepts data cards: SD card
Waypoints/favorites: 1000
Routes: 50
Track log: 10,000 points, 20 saved tracks
Automatic routing: yes
Electronic compass: yes
Barometric altimeter: yes
Geocaching mode: yes
Outdoor GPS games: yes
Hunt/fish calendar: yes
Sun and moon information: yes
Area calculation: yes
Custom POIs: yes
Picture viewer: yes
3D map view: yes
Unit-to-unit transfer (shares data wirelessly with similar units): yes

If you want something substantially better (on the bike that is) go for the 278.

Neither the 2820 nor the Zumo are good choises in your case. There is no battery in the 2820 and the Zumo doesn't work well with the topo map.
Thats an interesting GPS, a marine unit (as is the 276c of fame) but perhaps a tad expensive at $599.99, were unlikely to get it here for £300... :(

"Well that didn't take long. The Garmin "Colorado" rumor we mentioned yesterday appears to be closer to a reality today. According to reports, the new device will be actually be called the Colorado 400 Bluechart GPS, and will sport a slew of new features, the biggest of which is the ability to display aerial photos and / or USGS topographical maps. Additionally, the new device (aimed at the marine market) will feature detailed, coastal US marine charts, a new "Rock 'N' Roller" input wheel, a 65,000 color 240 x 400 display, an SD card slot, 2-axis compass, an altimeter, temperature sensor, plus ANT Communications (wireless exchange of routes, tracks, waypoints, and geocaches between two units). No official word on whether this is actually available, but supposedly you can order it right now for $599.99."

Sauce... ;)
http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/10/the-garmin-colorado-400-bluechart-gps-unit/

More to come, no doubt! :)

I've just been looking at these, are they any good on the handlebar mount, please reply asap.
I have the Garmin bicycle handlebar mount, it holds it rather well, clipping in and out is done from the bottom catch.

You should buy a Tom Tom Rider

Maybe - but maybe not.

I have a 2720, a Rider 1 and a Rider 2 (free gift from Tomtom as a poor service apology).

The Rider navigates OK abnd the Mark 2 solves the horrible mount problem of the Mark 1 - but the 2720 is streets ahead so the 2820 will be even better.

The Rider Cardo headset is, in some ways better than the Mark 1 dongle but won't fit on any helmet with a neck skirt such as BMW System 5 and many others. It's a pain fiddling the mic under the edge every time you ride and, stupidly, the instructions warn it is not waterproof - on the side of a helmet !!

No audio out on the Rider so it's Bluetooth or silence.

No PC software with the Rider that's worthy of the name. With Garmin you get the great Mapsource.

Tomtom software is great for simple A to B. For waypoint routing, tweaking routes, personalising the display, auto night mode, auto brightness, auto sound volume, transferring data to and from PC, Garmin is streets ahead.

Tomtom service is maga-crap. Garmin service is great.

It is less imprtant which Garmin you buy but just get a Garmin

If you want a GPS for walking the Zumo, Rider and others designed for cars/bikes may have batteries but are of limited use unless your walking is restricted to roads. Much better off with something designed for the job. I use an old Garmin 12 which basically gives me position and bearing to waypoint but has no internal maps. I also use an Ipaq PDA with built in GPS and Memory Map Software. This gives me bearings to waypoints plus showing position and route on digital Ordnanve Survey Maps. Both are far superior.

I've just been looking at these, are they any good on the handlebar mount, please reply asap.

got mine on a RAM cradle, fixed via RAM arm to a RAM U bracket ball mount on the top screen mount bar.

i'll post a pic later when i have time.

GPSMap60CSx mounted on 1200GSA

239142028-M.jpg

239142101-M.jpg

note: don't take any notice of the map displayed in garmin's pics. they are not like that at all, but a less contrasty salmon colour as shown in my pics. there is no way to get it as garmin show. you also need to obtain mapping separately.

this gps would be most suitable for any bike that goes offroad IMO, due to it's rugged construction. if you want a big display, you nee to go elswhere. it does do the job however.

Back
Top Bottom