flying boats

flash of the gap

Reaction score
any of you fly boys can tell me a bit about these, spotted them in mas palomas
didn,t think there was any left , looks cool.

flyingboat-1.jpg

Looks a bit like one of <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadair_CL-415" target="_blank">these</a>

Quite a few flying boats still around. My personal favourite is the PBY Catalina.

Warlock's got it right. That's a CL-415. The cowling is smooth, indicating a turbo-prop. The CL-215 (with a rotary engine) has a flared cowling. Nice planes in either case.

Bohdan

Take a spin over to Foynes ...

Flying Boat Museum

Popped in last summer on our way back from the family holiday in Kerry (so car bound :mad:) but it's well worth a visit however you get there.

yep

thats the one alright, but there was two of em and they were pretty low to the water a couple of times, did,nt they have major fires on the north side of tenerife last year , :thumb, me thinkin they wrer some kind of touristy thing :eek:

Must agree with Scotboxer. The museum in Foynes is well worth a visit if you have an interest in flying boats. One of the more interesting pieces of information being the Catalina that found Bismarck in the North Atlantic flew out of there. :thumb

One of the more interesting pieces of information being the Catalina that found Bismarck in the North Atlantic flew out of there. :thumb

No, it didn't :D

The Cat in question was attached to RAF 209 Squadron based at Castle Archdale on Lough Erne, Co. Fermanagh. RAF had recently taken delivery of Catalinas from USA on Lease Lend and their pilots were undergoing training from US Navy instructors. One of the American guys, Ensign Len 'Tuck' Smith was the pilot of the a/c which was tasked to find the Bismarck, chosen for his experience on the type. His combat report is here

Because this happened before USA was officially in WW2, there was a big 'hush-hush' afterwards and the media could not understand why they were unable to interview the pilot who 'found the Bismarck' :D

The aircraft managed to return but was a complete colander, with heavy AA damage. Smith beached it on Boa Island and it was eventualy flown to Pembroke Dock for repairs. A local guy recounted how he heped

I spent a lot of time at Castle Archdale in me youf and met many of the folks who had been based there in WW2, some amazing stories. There are at least eight intact Catalinas on the bottom of the lake where they were scuttled when the war ended :eek:

I stand corrected and in awe of your superior knowledge. Got them mixed up. Must be the onset of old age :augie:thumb:D

No problem, I'll take me anorak off now :D It's a period of local history which fascinates me, though :)

... The aircraft managed to return but was a complete colander, with heavy AA damage. Smith beached it on Boa Island and it was eventualy flown to Pembroke Dock for repairs. A local guy recounted how he heped
As a young lad, my dad remembers seeing Catalinas in RAF PEMBROKE DOCK during the War. :rob

I'm sure there was something on the local news recently about them trying to raise a sunken Catalina.

No, it didn't :D

The Cat in question was attached to RAF 209 Squadron based at Castle Archdale on Lough Erne, Co. Fermanagh. RAF had recently taken delivery of Catalinas from USA on Lease Lend and their pilots were undergoing training from US Navy instructors. One of the American guys, Ensign Len 'Tuck' Smith was the pilot of the a/c which was tasked to find the Bismarck, chosen for his experience on the type. His combat report is here

Because this happened before USA was officially in WW2, there was a big 'hush-hush' afterwards and the media could not understand why they were unable to interview the pilot who 'found the Bismarck' :D

The aircraft managed to return but was a complete colander, with heavy AA damage. Smith beached it on Boa Island and it was eventualy flown to Pembroke Dock for repairs. A local guy recounted how he heped

I spent a lot of time at Castle Archdale in me youf and met many of the folks who had been based there in WW2, some amazing stories. There are at least eight intact Catalinas on the bottom of the lake where they were scuttled when the war ended :eek:

great story, :thumb

Boreen run photos

Taken on the Boreen Run, see what yis missed!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2607 Small.JPG
    IMG_2607 Small.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_2609 Small.JPG
    IMG_2609 Small.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_2610 Small.JPG
    IMG_2610 Small.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_2611 Small.JPG
    IMG_2611 Small.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 228
there's a sandringham here you can get into.

The RAF Museum at Hendon is well worth a visit. Amongst their exhibits you can walk through a Sunderland flying boat :thumb2

Nice and close to the Ace Cafe for a post bacon sandwich first Sunday of the month moment :augie

Back
Top Bottom