950 SE owners review

Pipster

Reaction score
As you know, I've just bought a new 950SE from AMS Tewkesbury 2/1/08; thought I'd give some feedback on it to date, as I bought the bike without a test ride. As and when I modify it, I'll keep you posted.

This is an absolutely non biased thread; I've happily owned the 1150 and 1200 GS's and but my circumstances have changed; pending baby arrival :D means I won't be touring as far afield but still need my bike kick so I need a bike capable of a run out with the lads, some light trail riding and the odd UK rally.

First day out was 100 road miles trip to clock up some miles; couldn't believe how well mannered it was on the road. Top gear running in speed about 70mph, not much wind blast and one thing that had completely disappeared was the head buffeting that I used to get off the 1200 screen. Haven't managed to use a full tank in one days riding so far but think the tank range is 100-120 miles; ample for this country even in the more remote areas.

Second day out was a trail ride with some of the guys from the North West section; a steady days ride, some easy lanes. Obviously the bike not being run in wasn't able to give it too much right hand, but one thing it definitely needs, for me, is some bar risers and also with it having tubed tyres I was unable to run my tyres at low pressure until I fit rim locks. Traction was an issue on the day... apart from that, as you'd expect with white power suspension, very useable off road. Obviously its not a pogo stick but it will be perfect for light laning and an awesome bike for the big bike rallies.

Thats about it so far, I intend to fit bar risers, decent off road tyres and rim locks and I'll alter the gearing, which needs to be lower. In the future, I'll have some wheels made up on which I'll run a set of road going Scorpions, balanced up, no rim locks, stock gearing.

I also intend to do a few camping trips with the lads so I'll keep hold of my ali paniers and buy a set of Touratech panier frames which are already available for this bike, and quite happily do the odd weekend away; Lakes, Scotland, etc.

The bike is due for its first service at 600 miles, and I'll be having a set of Akrapovics fitted and the bike retuned

I'll keep this thread going over the next few months just to let you know how it performs; I'm new to KTM but so far I'm impressed by the whole experience.

Attachments

• 950 se 033.jpg
    950 se 033.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,253
Congrats on the new machine :)
did you get the first service chucked in with the deal ?,
i remember on my 950 adv it cost £200 and took 5 hrs :eek:
and then the dealer kindly sprayed neat Muc Off on the wheels which destroyed the anodising :spitfire

Look forward to some off road pics :thumb2

Good to hear you got yourself sorted with the bike that you wanted:thumb

I've left a message on your other post about Sideways as I was surprised to read your comments.

But all's well that ends well - ENJOY:thumb

Good to hear you got yourself sorted with the bike that you wanted:thumb

I've left a message on your other post about Sideways as I was surprised to read your comments.

But all's well that ends well - ENJOY:thumb

Just had a look round your website fantastic :clap

Have a great time and good luck with the fundraising :thumb2

My wifes a Dorset lass born in Millborne st andrew we moved up to Staffs about 10 years ago still spend a lot of time in Dorset visiting family...

Congrats on the new machine :)
did you get the first service chucked in with the deal ?,
i remember on my 950 adv it cost £200 and took 5 hrs :eek:
and then the dealer kindly sprayed neat Muc Off on the wheels which destroyed the anodising :spitfire

Look forward to some off road pics :thumb2

Offroad photo's

Once its run in I'm looking forward to entering the Rydale rally can't make the PJM also the swindon LDT.....plus lots of trail riding :D

Did some trails last weekend and got it dirty :thumb2

Attachments

• 100_0135.jpg
    100_0135.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 1,125
Ive just done the same thing and had a spare set of wheels made so I can run scorpions for road use. I also have Acros fitted and my fuel consumption is a bit worse than yours. 100 miles to a tank max, although if I rode it more gently this might improve (but I can never seem to, it's just a wheelie machine)
217246440-L.jpg

Crap photo attached.:D

As you know, I've just bought a new 950SE from AMS Tewkesbury 2/1/08; thought I'd give some feedback on it to date, as I bought the bike without a test ride. As and when I modify it, I'll keep you posted.

This is an absolutely non biased thread; I've happily owned the 1150 and 1200 GS's and but my circumstances have changed; pending baby arrival :D means I won't be touring as far afield but still need my bike kick so I need a bike capable of a run out with the lads, some light trail riding and the odd UK rally.

First day out was 100 road miles trip to clock up some miles; couldn't believe how well mannered it was on the road. Top gear running in speed about 70mph, not much wind blast and one thing that had completely disappeared was the head buffeting that I used to get off the 1200 screen. Haven't managed to use a full tank in one days riding so far but think the tank range is 100-120 miles; ample for this country even in the more remote areas.

Second day out was a trail ride with some of the guys from the North West section; a steady days ride, some easy lanes. Obviously the bike not being run in wasn't able to give it too much right hand, but one thing it definitely needs, for me, is some bar risers and also with it having tubed tyres I was unable to run my tyres at low pressure until I fit rim locks. Traction was an issue on the day... apart from that, as you'd expect with white power suspension, very useable off road. Obviously its not a pogo stick but it will be perfect for light laning and an awesome bike for the big bike rallies.

Thats about it so far, I intend to fit bar risers, decent off road tyres and rim locks and I'll alter the gearing, which needs to be lower. In the future, I'll have some wheels made up on which I'll run a set of road going Scorpions, balanced up, no rim locks, stock gearing.

I also intend to do a few camping trips with the lads so I'll keep hold of my ali paniers and buy a set of Touratech panier frames which are already available for this bike, and quite happily do the odd weekend away; Lakes, Scotland, etc.

The bike is due for its first service at 600 miles, and I'll be having a set of Akrapovics fitted and the bike retuned

I'll keep this thread going over the next few months just to let you know how it performs; I'm new to KTM but so far I'm impressed by the whole experience.

Its good to know im not the only one to buy one without a test ride:) I get it on monday and am very exited although I havent got round to tellin my loyal honda xr yet.

Are they standard pipes really so bad for us non dakar racers? I'll get them too im sure as know they sound good but how are the standard one's?

Whats everyone paying for insurance and from where?? Im 30 with 3 years ncb and am getting some alarmingly high quotes:( Oh and what alarms or other security have you gone for if any?

I feel like asking the dealer to fit one of those ac socket things before I pick it up or an alarm but is that just an invite for a 2 hour labour charge. Its the first new vehicle i've ever owner an it was an impulse buy which I hope works out for me. I thought I wanted a 1200 gsa and had a couple of test rides and did 400miles in total. Not knocking the bike but on the way home from the dealer I visited another dealer and saw a man on his ktm adventure. I said that sounds good and he said well you'd better take it for a spin then (total stranger) anyway whether i should have or not, I did and loved it. I only rode 2-3 miles as still couldnt believe the casual arrangement but I was sold on everything but the front end. Long story short I liked and bought the SE on looks and reviews alone:blast Rgs. Richard

I bought a low mileage 07 plated SE in April after a 20 mile test ride although I'd previously had a short spin on Loz's SE.

Normally get 110miles before the low fuel light comes on. Unsure as to the actual fuel capacity as KTM state 14.5 litres whilst owners suggest it's only 13? Until I've measured it myself, I'll assume it's 13 litres.

Nothing wrong with the standard pipes except that they're stainless & both contain cats, hence they're heavy & can retain heat for bloody ages. Upside is that they're strong & don't dent too easily in a fall as I found out two weeks ago when someone reversed in to mine, knocking it over in the process. The resulting dent was small, would have been different if I'd have had Akro's etc fitted. Mine's 100% stock, not sure if you need to make any mods to run aftermarket pipes?

Suspension is fully adjustable at both ends inc Preload, something you won't find on too many bikes costing £6,000..... Even on a 100% stock bike, 3rd gear 70mph wheelies are relatively easy or so I'm told. :augie

Rode mine down through France to the Spanish Pyrenees in late May, offroaded it for 5 days before riding back without any problems, averaged nearly 50mpg with luggage riding at 75-80mph.

Very happy with it, just fitted a screen from the 690SM.

Hi Possu, does the SM screen bolt straight on?? I don’t pick my SE up until next week and i’m just putting together my bolt on parts list - :thumb

Hi Possu, does the SM screen bolt straight on?? I don’t pick my SE up until next week and i’m just putting together my bolt on parts list - :thumb

It's the right shape but you need to ensure that the holes you drill don't interfere with some of the fastening holes on the inside of the stock headlight surround.

Only managed a few miles after fitting it but it seems to have taken the pressure of my arms at higher speeds. I've noticed that the headlight assembly moves a little more with the screen fitted unless it's the same degree of movement that's exaggerated by the height of the screen. I've noticed a small amount of play in the threaded headlight adjuster that is the cause of the movement, reducing this should improve matters.

Fitting a heatshield to the right hand pillion peg mounts will prevent your leg getting roasted when waiting at lights etc, here's mine:

287635656_KRw2E-M.jpg

287636093_yTAPx-M.jpg

I also welded a large washer to the underside of the sidestand foot to increase the footprint.

I bought a low mileage 07 plated SE in April after a 20 mile test ride although I'd previously had a short spin on Loz's SE.

Normally get 110miles before the low fuel light comes on. Unsure as to the actual fuel capacity as KTM state 14.5 litres whilst owners suggest it's only 13? Until I've measured it myself, I'll assume it's 13 litres.

Nothing wrong with the standard pipes except that they're stainless & both contain cats, hence they're heavy & can retain heat for bloody ages. Upside is that they're strong & don't dent too easily in a fall as I found out two weeks ago when someone reversed in to mine, knocking it over in the process. The resulting dent was small, would have been different if I'd have had Akro's etc fitted. Mine's 100% stock, not sure if you need to make any mods to run aftermarket pipes?

Suspension is fully adjustable at both ends inc Preload, something you won't find on too many bikes costing £6,000..... Even on a 100% stock bike, 3rd gear 70mph wheelies are relatively easy or so I'm told. :augie

Rode mine down through France to the Spanish Pyrenees in late May, offroaded it for 5 days before riding back without any problems, averaged nearly 50mpg with luggage riding at 75-80mph.

Thanks for the reply, feel much better knowing the front wheel "apparently" goes up at motorway speeds:guitarist oh and of course that 50mpg is possible fully loaded. I might need your help to steal all your mod ideas at some point, did you make that heatshield? If so well done and if not, how much and where from?:) The 600miles run-in wont take long, only nottingham and back 3 times ish. I dont want to go anywhere exiting on it while i have to behave with it.

I bet my dealer charges me more than £200 for a service. They didnt chuck anything in which gutted me a bit but I suppose the bike is cheap enough. £5900 otr. I have trouble sleeping as it is so someone tell me I did ok? I tried my luck asking them to put an ac socket on it but no joy. Are any of you trained in this? :augie I think the ktm kit only costs £15?? Acerbis handguards and maybe that 690 screen will be the only bits I add at first and then hope for some NEC bargains later in the year. Thanks again and goodnight. R

Thanks for the reply, feel much better knowing the front wheel "apparently" goes up at motorway speeds:guitarist oh and of course that 50mpg is possible fully loaded. I might need your help to steal all your mod ideas at some point, did you make that heatshield? If so well done and if not, how much and where from?:) The 600miles run-in wont take long, only nottingham and back 3 times ish. I dont want to go anywhere exiting on it while i have to behave with it.

I bet my dealer charges me more than £200 for a service. They didnt chuck anything in which gutted me a bit but I suppose the bike is cheap enough. £5900 otr. I have trouble sleeping as it is so someone tell me I did ok? I tried my luck asking them to put an ac socket on it but no joy. Are any of you trained in this? :augie I think the ktm kit only costs £15?? Acerbis handguards and maybe that 690 screen will be the only bits I add at first and then hope for some NEC bargains later in the year. Thanks again and goodnight. R

£5900 :eek:Thats a great price a year ago they around the £7000 mark ...not been a big seller in the UK some have sat in the dealers for months...So us lucky feckers that bought one know what a great bike they are :D

If you plan to use the bike off road replace the bash plate...also i fitted a center stand very handy when mending puntures out on the trail...Blackdog cycle works for bash plate and center stand is off the 950 adv s ...
If your up for trail riding i will let you know when we are next out :thumb2

Attachments

• DSC00627.jpg
    DSC00627.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 809

Heatshield & washers were homemade, took 6 hours in total, never made countersunk washers before.

I welded a large washer to the sidestand but made the mistake of positioning it centrally to the sidestand foot. Problem is that as you kick the stand up, the additional diameter on the front edge dragged on the ground, meaning that I had to lean the bke over ver to the right a little further. My SE was knocked over by a reversing car recently, snapping the sidestand, I'll weld another washer on but offset it to the rear this time around.

Not much offroad stuff @ the NEC, better off trying the Dirt Bike Show for deals & bargains.

Heatshield & washers were homemade, took 6 hours in total, never made countersunk washers before.

I welded a large washer to the sidestand but made the mistake of positioning it centrally to the sidestand foot. Problem is that as you kick the stand up, the additional diameter on the front edge dragged on the ground, meaning that I had to lean the bke over ver to the right a little further. My SE was knocked over by a reversing car recently, snapping the sidestand, I'll weld another washer on but offset it to the rear this time around.

Not much offroad stuff @ the NEC, better off trying the Dirt Bike Show for deals & bargains.

:) I did the same to my little xr but leaning that to the right was no big deal. In the end I used an old stainless brake pedal from my rs turbo boy racer days, bolted straight on:thumb2 Might try the same on the SE. I'll learn by your mistake and try cut out any frontal overhang. Not long now:cool
What does the instrument pannel actually display? Speed.....&? R

:) I did the same to my little xr but leaning that to the right was no big deal. In the end I used an old stainless brake pedal from my rs turbo boy racer days, bolted straight on:thumb2 Might try the same on the SE. I'll learn by your mistake and try cut out any frontal overhang. Not long now:cool
What does the instrument pannel actually display? Speed.....&? R

Speed, odometer, two trips & the time. When the low fuel light comes on, a reading pops up on the dash "F" denoting how many miles you've covered since it came on.

With the ignition on, holding down the MODE button for 10 seconds converts the readings to KMH, same again to reverse it.

With such a small tank, get in to the habit of resetting at least one of trips every time you fuel up as reserve is only 2 litres max.

There's a single wire with bullet connectors beneath the seat & next to the fusebox, disconnecting it alters the ignition map allowing use of low grade fuel if riding in more primitive regions i.e. anywhere north of Banbury. :D:augie

Speed, odometer, two trips & the time. When the low fuel light comes on, a reading pops up on the dash "F" denoting how many miles you've covered since it came on.

With the ignition on, holding down the MODE button for 10 seconds converts the readings to KMH, same again to reverse it.

With such a small tank, get in to the habit of resetting at least one of trips every time you fuel up as reserve is only 2 litres max.

There's a single wire with bullet connectors beneath the seat & next to the fusebox, disconnecting it alters the ignition map allowing use of low grade fuel if riding in more primitive regions i.e. anywhere north of Banbury. :D:augie

Cheers dont have to ask the dealer now. AC port is a must for me, im going to be cheap and use my car tomtom and just put in the clear map pocket of the tank bag I havent bought yet. North of Banbury eh?:rolleyes: i'll let you have that one. I know there is not much at the nec for dirt bikes but my mates and I go every year and spend a fortune on things we dont need then stay up there for the night. They all have sports bikes and bandits et but those have never interested me. Will be good to not have a "run of the mill" bike.
Do the ktm owners on here meet up ever in these parts?

AC port is a must for me,

Ac port is very easy to fit just remove the allen bolts holding headlight on and you will see the colour coded female conections ... choose which one you want to power the Ac port ACC1 the socket stays live all the time the other ACC2 the socket is only live with ignition on both supplys are already fused under the seat :thumb2

All push fit conections ... the other power supply can be used for heated grips ect...

Think the Ac socket is about £15

I like the look of that heat sheild, I'm a bit worried about the nuclear reactor that seems to be getting out of control or I'm guessing thats what is happening by the amount of heat coming out from underneath the saddle, has anyone had battery problems due to this I wonder.
My mods have been simple enough so far, went down one tooth on the front sprocket, decatted the cans to try & get rid of some heat & dumped the suicidal karoo rubber ( I might have purchased the guts of a hundred horse bike for offroad use but I dont want to move to the checkout just yet )
Planned mods fitting different springs up front, 2 into 1 & ditch the clutch side pipe then fit suitable pipe, new rims something a bit tougher & narrower at the front, looking into shortening it a bit ( not by running headfirst into a wall ) swingarm & off-setting the front
Has anyone tried a rekluse clutch yet? id love to know how they are finding it
But one thing I have to say "I love it to bits ,it brings a smile to my face when I get out for a spin":aidan
Oh by the way I'm another who bought one without a testride.

Back
Top Bottom