Wot EXC?

Ragnar

Reaction score
After I've sold a couple of bikes I'm looking to get a smaller dirt bike for green-laning, maybe a bit of enduro and generally messing about.

I've never owned or ridden anything like a dirt bike though (see my sig for bike history) so I'm not exactly sure what is the best thing to go for. I'd like to stick to KTM, partly for reputation, partly brand loyalty and partly because I know the owner of a dealership ;)

I figure that I want an EXC, for the road-legalness, but which one?
Do I go for a two-stroke or four? I know four-stroke engines but have never fettled with a two-stroke before. I'm looking at the moment at a choosing between 250 or 300 exc in two-stroke, and 450 or 530 exc-r in the four-stroke.

Anybody care to voice some opinions please (come on, I know you all have them :D)

Thanks,
David.

hi get yourself a 200 exc(tough and good resale) see how you get on with it then if you want or need more the world's your lobster

loz

off roader

After I've sold a couple of bikes I'm looking to get a smaller dirt bike for green-laning, maybe a bit of enduro and generally messing about.

I've never owned or ridden anything like a dirt bike though (see my sig for bike history) so I'm not exactly sure what is the best thing to go for. I'd like to stick to KTM, partly for reputation, partly brand loyalty and partly because I know the owner of a dealership ;)

I figure that I want an EXC, for the road-legalness, but which one?
Do I go for a two-stroke or four? I know four-stroke engines but have never fettled with a two-stroke before. I'm looking at the moment at a choosing between 250 or 300 exc in two-stroke, and 450 or 530 exc-r in the four-stroke.

Anybody care to voice some opinions please (come on, I know you all have them :D)

Thanks,
David.

i would'nt have thought you want to go for something thats too powerfull or too heavy the previous recommendation is probably the best option a thumper is going to be more reliable but a smoker is going to be more fun ?????/

I'd go for the 200 as well, brilliant fun and seriously competitive if you want it to be, a mate compared his to cheating cos it was so easy to ride!!!!

Good and reliable too provided you use good oil and keep it clean through the carb.

Thanks all for the advice so far. 200 EXC sounds like the most recommended.

No electric start though... I know this adds weight, but I've not once been able to kick-start my 640 or 625 - I guess I could manage it on a 200 though :nenau

Two-stroke... Am I right in thinking a 200 2-stroke will be roughly speaking about the same power as a 400 4-stroke?

Browsing through the 2008 KTM enduro brochure last night, it sayed something about the 200 EXC being the same power and weight as the 250 - so what's the point in the 250???? :nenau

Finally, the reason for considering the higher CC's and four-stroke engines is because I'll need to ride about 50 miles or so to meet up with the lads I usually go (4x4) green-laning with, so I want something that'll be able to handle a little bit of road mileage too.

Sorry for the 'noob style questions - a bit out of my comfort zone here :)

David.

David
I'd recommend a trailer as 50 miles on a two stroke enduro is no fun at all :(
i used to dread the 20 odd miles to and from my nearest lanes on my 4 stroke klx,
i was lucky enough to have a go on my dealers 530 demo which was great fun and would've made the road work a lot more bearable.
If you really want a KTM and you don't want a trailer the 530's the way to go :thumb2

David
I'd recommend a trailer as 50 miles on a two stroke enduro is no fun at all :(

Hehe, I know I know, but unfortunately I don't have that option as I have neither a vehicle to tow it, or an entitlement on my licence that would allow me :)

Did you get one ?

I was tempted to get a 530 but the 30 day warranty made getting
a cheaper used one a better option or maybe a well looked after 525 xc :augie

I was tempted to get a 530 but the 30 day warranty made getting
a cheaper used one a better option or maybe a well looked after 525 xc :augie

the 530, 5.7 for a dirt bike:eek:

get a second hand one,the 525 is bullet proof and you'll be able to get a nice one from one of these t**ts who think you have to change the oil every 100 meter's,60quid for a new set of plastics and bob's your mother's brother:thumb

loz

Cheers again,

I think that, as much as I like the idea of a 250 EXC, it's impractical for my needs, so I reckon I'm putting either a 450 or 525/530 on my wish list!

Then, I'll investigate the advantages/disadvantages of fitting one of the larger tanks to solve the 'need to get to the lanes' issue.

David.

Why is a 250 impractical? Is it because you'll be doing quire a few road miles?
KTM 2 strokes are fairly awfull for long spells on tarmac but are so much easier to ride, start and pick up when off-road. A 250 2str won't be any worse than a 450 in terms of fuel consumption either. A guy we used to ride with had a 450 and was usually on reserve before the rest of us on strokers.
125 and 200 strokers are race bikes. They're light and frantic and need to be kept singing to make good progress. OK in a race but a PIA when trail riding. The difference in torque between a 200 and 250 is really surprising and is what makes the bigger bike so much easier and more forgiving to ride. A 300 has loads of torque and contrary to popular belief is very easy to ride and makes a great trail bike with a larger tank. I love mine, if you ride it in a higher gear than on a 250 say, it's gentle as a lamb and totally predictable with no fear of accidentally hitting the power band and looping it.
All hell brakes loose when you rev the nuts off it though, it'll out gun a 525:D
I personally dislike big 4 stroke enduro bikes because i find they're a nightmare to find traction on when it gets really tight and slippy. You end up slipping the clutch like mad to stop the back tyre spinning up. We tend to do a lot of technical stuff on our rides due to the terrain.If you planning on long rides with quite a bit of tarmac and not much in the way of technical sections (trials like) then they're probably ideal. Be warned though, on a big thumper you'll be going through pads and chains and sprockets at a fair old rate if you use it enthusiastically. Another thing I like about 2 strokes is there simplicity. In the the last 12 months my 300 has been out nearly every week, usually for a full day and has never left me stranded once. It started to run rough one ride but that was just the plug on it's way out. 5 mins later with a new plug in it was fine.

Back
Top Bottom