Whats the weather like mid May Pico's area?

squid

Reaction score
Thinking of a week around the Pico's area around the middle of May but wondering what the weather will be like?

Possibly camping

Thinking of a week around the Pico's area around the middle of May but wondering what the weather will be like?

Possibly camping

I dunno :nenau ...... but I hope its going to be ok, cos me and SWMBO have already booked for then (hotels though, not camping). Its our first time overseas on the bike :eek:

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Rich :)

Picos in May !

I was there last year around the middle of May. Weather was very changeable as you would expect in a mountainous area. Lots of thunder & lightning and heavy downpours. Was there also in March, September & October and the weather was absolutely fabulous, so you never can tell.
May 2007:(
Picos May.jpg
Sept 2007:cool:
Picos1.jpg
Oct 2007:cool:
Picos October.jpg
If you want, I have waypoints & routes & hotels for the area, if your using GPS & mapsource.:reynolds
Cheers

I was there last year around the middle of May. Weather was very changeable as you would expect in a mountainous area. Lots of thunder & lightning and heavy downpours. Was there also in March, September & October and the weather was absolutely fabulous, so you never can tell........

If you want, I have waypoints & routes & hotels for the area, if your using GPS & mapsource.:reynolds
Cheers

Err...yes please. I'd be very grateful.
I'll pm you me email addy

Rich

May doesn't look Pretty on that photo:tears

How long were you there for and was it like that all the time?

What was it like overall in March?

Hard to say I know - especially as last year was not known for good weather generally.

April can be fun:)

Attachments

• Picture 130 (Small).jpg
    Picture 130 (Small).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 719
I was there last year around the middle of May.
Cheers

What did you pay for hotels out of interest?

The suns out though:D

Where exactly was the Photo taken? Take it was at one of the highest parts.

Take the road out of Potes and head for the Fuente De, where the cable car is.
At the village of Espinama take a right through the buildings and keep heading up, it's a stunning trail that comes out at Sotres.

Many of the tracks within the National Park are not 'stricly legal' although this one is/was but there's plenty outside of the actual Park.

This was the previous year with IanB on our way home from Morocco and unable to resist just more more trail:)

Attachments

• P1010182 (Small).JPG
    P1010182 (Small).JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 704
Hotel prices.

What did you pay for hotels out of interest?

On average about €50 per room per night.
Riano (Leon)(Hostal Sainz) €45 Good base for touring Picos 1-3 days
Cosgaya (del Osa hotel) €60 Good base also for touring Picos 1-3 days.
Villarcayo (Plati hotel) €49
Commillas (Esmerlda hotel) €52
Laredo ( Montecristo) €55

At the village of Espinama take a right through the buildings and keep heading up, it's a stunning trail that comes out at Sotres.

Many of the tracks within the National Park are not 'stricly legal' although this one is/was but there's plenty outside of the actual Park.

This track is legal to ride on according to locals who asked the parks service on my behalf in October 2007 but not the left turn from it at Sotres to Fuente De peak and the para gliding section nearby.

Picos are still on my "to do, quite soon" list.

However, if it's any assistance, other parts of the interior of Northern Spain - Rioja, Aragon, Catalunya - is just about perfect in May - not too hot and still nice and green.

Picos in May

Picos are still on my "to do, quite soon" list.

However, if it's any assistance, other parts of the interior of Northern Spain - Rioja, Aragon, Catalunya - is just about perfect in May - not too hot and still nice and green.

I've climbed in the high Picos in May, (Western massif, south of Cangas De Onis, Covadonga).. snow up high though sometimes v.hot also with thunderstorms etc. August hot. Roads generally clear including most high roads, poss. cloud/mist. Coast: green! I would say worth travelling in May, quieter accommodation wise, scenery etc still stunning. For peace and quiet, weekdays best...

Hi all
This is my 1st post on this site and have been using this site to gain knowledge for my trip to the Pico's in May. Sorry to hijack this perticular Thread but i saw Jaws100 was offering his knowledge on the Pico's by offering GPS locations and hotel recommendations.I was hoping he may share this info with this newbi.
Any other contributions would be much appreciated.

Andy

Hi all
This is my 1st post on this site and have been using this site to gain knowledge for my trip to the Pico's in May. Sorry to hijack this perticular Thread but i saw Jaws100 was offering his knowledge on the Pico's by offering GPS locations and hotel recommendations.I was hoping he may share this info with this newbi.
Any other contributions would be much appreciated.

Andy

Hi Andy, check out the spain trip in open invites. There might be some other useful info in there including links to some ride reports

Thinking of Pico's for late May next year.

Anyone else been there this time of year?

From what I can see using the internet is that like most places in Europe the weather is quite variable, the stats imply rain about I day in 3, which is like most of the UK at that time of year, and I assume similarly you could get 5 days of solid sunshine, or 5 days of constant rain.

It seems we are unlikely to freeze to death, and generally day time temps should be OK.

What I could not easily establish is how likely there is to still be snow blocking roads

Does anyone know when most roads are normally clear?

D
I was there last year around the middle of May. Weather was very changeable as you would expect in a mountainous area. Lots of thunder & lightning and heavy downpours. Was there also in March, September & October and the weather was absolutely fabulous, so you never can tell.
View attachment 81373
View attachment 81375
View attachment 81376
Cheers

Me too please! Off there next summer. Waypoints etc would be much appreciated.

View attachment 81373
View attachment 81375
View attachment 81376
Cheers

Love that picture of the bridge at Riaño, was down there in September.

A ride up to the Lagos de Covadonga is a must on a sunny day, go to the very top lake / car park then a short climb up to the viewpoint behind the cafe. The ride up / down and the views are stunning, can be busy at weekends though.

Back
Top Bottom