Just back from 1,000 offroad miles in Morocco with Moto Aventures

Jeremy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
All I've read on this site about Morocco is true. It was a fantastic experience and for a country on Europe's doorstep, it still felt medieval, distant and a haven for adventure. People were friendly and welcoming, scenery was stunning, offroad riding was right up there with utopia.

I can strongly recommend Moto Aventures http://www.motoaventures.com/splash-en.html run by husband and wife, John and Sue and their son Jens who led the rides. There is a major focus on safety and briefings are thorough and complete. Eighteen riders on KTM 450EXCs in perfect nick supported by Sue in a Land Rover, John in a Unimog and Abdul the mechanic. If you want to fly and ride off road, I wouldn't bother looking elsewhere. We stayed in a mixture of 3-4 star hotels and ate in all manner of inns and restaurants.

I'm sitting back at home tonight with a weeks worth of beard, sand still dripping out of my ears, having enjoyed an action packed week. If you compare say the typical 3wk ride to Morocco and back on your GS to a cappuccino ie its filling, normally luke warm, bit of froth, with plenty to keep you going, then the Moto Aventures Dakar trip is an hourly triple espresso with a vodka redbull shot taken intraveneously through the jugular. It's intense, eye bulgingly fast with a big kick.

I left Heathrow last Saturday to catch the 8am flight to Marrakech. From there it was a 4/5hr transit to their base in Ouarzazate. We left Sunday morning and from here on I'll let the pictures tell the story. The route was as follows:
06th Jan – Ouarzazate to Tineghir off-road.
07th Jan – Tineghir via Todra gorge to Erfoud.
08th Jan – 9th Dunes, dunes and more dunes. Night in Merzouga.
10th Jan – Merzouga across the desert to Zagora. This was a Dakar stage!!!
11th Jan – Zagora back to Ouarzazate.

The route of 1,000miles:
desertTourmap.jpg

Day 1: 06th Jan – Ouarzazate to Tineghir off-road.
Leaving the hotel in Ouarzazate and collecting the mint bikes:
IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

The fabulous Unimog, a sensible family car
IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

Day 2: 07th Jan – Tineghir via Todra gorge to Erfoud
IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

We arrive in the sand on the afternoon of the second day:
IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

The strange celestial staircase house designed by a German as a second home:
IMG_0057.jpg

The first of the disappointed Dakar riders at the hotel that night, Brit Richard Hyams:
IMG_0059.jpg

Day 3 & 4: Sand and Swede Annie Seels bike:
IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

Another Swede, Henrik, who sold his flat to take part in the race:
IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

Why we all came!:
IMG_0064.jpg

Plenty of 4x4s specced up for the race:
IMG_0062.jpg

The hotel:
IMG_0063.jpg

The Dunes at Erg Chebbi:
IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

The new Bowler:
IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

The new model Unimog:
IMG_0077.jpg

Can you see the riders at the top?
IMG_0079.jpg

Our highly capable ride leader, medic, motivator, instructor, Jens:
IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

Day 5: 10th Jan – Merzouga across the desert to Zagora. This was a Dakar stage!!!
IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

Stuck in the dreaded fesh fesh, similar to talcum powder:
IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

It didn't trouble the Bowler thought:
IMG_0092.jpg

Arriving in Zagora:
IMG_0106.jpg

We met Ben Oliver and Chippy Woods from Bike Magazine who were testing a new 1200GS and Transalp. Two top lads:
IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

I really need one of these:
IMG_0108.jpg

Beer, the professional adventurers cure for excessive dust intake:
IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

Day 6: 11th Jan – Zagora back to Ouarzazate.
IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

Lunch, it tasted like chicken but I'm not sure it was:
IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

The final stretch back to Ouarzazate:
IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

One dusty Irishman looking nothing like a private banker:
IMG_0123.jpg

We fellow traveller and room mate from Denmark, Martin Andersen:
IMG_0125.jpg

So apart from my argument with a large piece of camel grass that resulted in my Superman impression, this was a cracking trip with a bunch of like minded souls. It exceeded all my expectations and I will be using Moto Aventures in future. Oh, and I've seen one of these on eBay yikes!
a93e_4.JPG

Now where's the map for the next trip...........

Best wishes
Jeremy:aidan

Great write-up & pics Jeremy. I've just scrolled through and its really got the old juices flowing. What was the cost for the week? I think I'll have to start saving.:thumb

Great write-up & pics Jeremy. I've just scrolled through and its really got the old juices flowing. What was the cost for the week? I think I'll have to start saving.:thumb

Cheers Phil. It cost EUR2950 and that included virtually everything except beers in the evening, tip for the mechanic, £30 repatriation insurance and the clutch lever I broke which cost another EUR29. Flight was a doddle from Heathrow and included in the price.

What a fantastic way to start the year.
Good on ya :thumb2

Thats looks great fun Jeremy and as you say ideal as the bikes are there waiting for you (especially handy when travelling from NE Scotland). I have Nepal booked for Summer or I could be tempted so maybe one for next year or late autumn....:augie

Great report.:clap

AndyT:cool:

Is that guy really wearing leather trousers with knee sliders??? :nenau

IMG_0116.jpg

Is that guy really wearing leather trousers with knee sliders??? :nenau

IMG_0116.jpg

Not the fellow in the picture but another Dutch rider had full leathers which resembled a mobile sauna. He's now 20pounds lighter.

It was c 18degrees during the day so I wore my old BMW Streetguard minus its armour but added a Dianese one piece offroad armoured vest and knee protectors. Once you'd picked up your bike in the sand a few times, the heat soon crept up.

I mean the guy sitting down on the right. First fella in the picture .. white t shirt with grey/black trousers that looks like leathers.

Not the bloke in centre picture standing up.

Another great write-up & pics Jeremy :thumb2

Looks like you had a ball. Snow & fesh-fesh in the same week, eh :bounce1

Jeremy, I hate you, excellent write up and amazing photos. I am so feckin envious. :tears

I suppose you'll go back at some stage.. :green gri

Looks great. :clap:clap

Hi Jeremy, certainly sounds upmarket from the Wombat hunt eh! I'm assuming the "new" GS did the whole route? I'm planning an independent trip to Morocco in May on a GS12 so would be interested in if you thought this route was GSable instead of KTMable!?

Hotel Xaluca in Erfoud is where World of BMW stay. Lovely pics Jeremy, looks like you had a good trip. The offices in Quarzazate used to be where Wilderness Wheels were based, another good trail riding outfit who have moved further into the town center. I've done the same trip as you, but a couple of years ago now. Must go again soon!

Roy.

Hi Jeremy, certainly sounds upmarket from the Wombat hunt eh! I'm assuming the "new" GS did the whole route? I'm planning an independent trip to Morocco in May on a GS12 so would be interested in if you thought this route was GSable instead of KTMable!?

The new GS was mainly on a road route and they managed to bin it on some ice puncturing the cylinder head on the pass from Ouarzazare to Marrakech on some ice. Chippy said the story will be in the April/May edition and that they were impressed with the GS's abilities.

Parts of our route are GS-able but not all. Drop Sue @ Moto Aventures an email and ask her advice. But to be honest this was my first time in Morocco and I feel this was the best way to see it. I am no offroad riding god but the buzz from riding a lithe KTM through sand, dirt, river beds was singular. Combined with the sight of 18 KTMs at 80mph blasting across a dry lake bed when we did one of the Dakar stages is an image that will stay with me. Fly and ride with only a week off work, bike serviced every night, piece of mind. You start with a bunch of strangers and end up with a load of new mates. My box is ticked and now looking for the next challenge.

Jeremy

Pinky....I think you'll find that all of that route is GS-able apart from the section from Merzouga to Zagora.......that is a pretty seriously sandy part and although you could do it on a GS in two days (the lightweights and quads will manage it in one day) you'll paddle a lot, get stuck a lot and unless you're a bit of a god, you'd have a hard time on a GS :)

Back
Top Bottom