Best place to mount my TomTom Rider v2?

alexlowe

Hi, I've just bought a TTR v2 which comes with the RAM mount. My question is, where have people found the best place to mount the device on a GS? Is it on the handlebars, left hand side I presume or is it behind the clocks etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

Best place is in the bin and get a Garmin - but to be more helpful.

The main options seem to be on left bar or on screen mount. I have tried both with Garmin and Rider and find the left bar is easily the best. From the riding position the gps sits just to the left of the clocks so is easy to see and it's close enough to easily reach the touch screen. Also easier to fit and remove.

Thanks Andy. I've had a look at the screen mount position and it seems a bit tight in there so I think it'll be the bar mount. I agree about Garmin but in all the GPS systems I have owned including Garmin, Magellan, Navman and TomTom, only Navman have ever given me issues. The mounting system with the v2 TomTom holds the device very secure so there shouldn't be the problem with the device not making contact with the charging pins. I've located the CanBus plug near the headstock so I just have to get one of the cables from the dealer that I've seen people talk about on here.

Like Andy said, I've tried both locations with my Zumo and although I think mounting it above the clocks looks tidier, having the GPS on the left of the bars is better for actual usage. The RAM mount does fit there, albeit snugly, you just have to persevere until you find the right position for it.

I've mounted mine on the Handlebars to the left of centre, It's important to remember that you've got to touch the screen whilst on the move, It's helpfull to have something to rest your wrist on to keep your fingers steady (My handlebar brace makes the perfect rest)

I tried it mounted above the clocks but found it obstructed my view ahead a little and therefore I tended to kind of look over it at times.

Attachments

• IMGP0041small.jpg
    IMGP0041small.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,402
so I just have to get one of the cables from the dealer that I've seen people talk about on here.

When I mounted mine, as temporary fix, I soldered over about 5 mm of the ends of the satnav power wires to make them stiff and found they were a nice snug fit in the holes in the headstock socket. I then just pushed the dust cover back in place with the wires coming out the side and wound some tape over it. I intended to get the proper plug but 2 1/2 years later I still have not got round to it and the satnav still works.

tomtom mount

hi guys .i mounted mine on the screen mount ok in the uk but when traveling through france last year the tomtom kept cutting out i think due to the very hot air blowing through the oil cooler (it was fukin hot) .didnt have any probs back in uk but i have moved the mount to the left bar not as neat but easier to use on the move !

When I mounted mine, as temporary fix, I soldered over about 5 mm of the ends of the satnav power wires to make them stiff and found they were a nice snug fit in the holes in the headstock socket.

Is it a TTR2 that you have? if so which wire goes where there's three wires on the BMW socket and only two (red/black) on the supplied cable?

where have people found the best place to mount the device on a GS?

I placed mine behind the clocks but I found it impossible with the base supplied because the ball was at the end of it and it would interfere with the screen, whatever motorcycle they had in mind when they chose the mount for the TT it wasn't a 12GS,:nenau

So I ordered one with the ball in the middle of it which made the job much easier, just make sure the ball is 1" if your order it, there's three sizes of them (there may be more).

http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/ram-b-231.htm

I hope this helps. The minute I figure out who to upload a picture I will.

Last week I mounted the TT2 above the clocks on my R1200GSA. I used parts of the RAM mount supplied with the TT2 along with an extra part from www.migsel.com

http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/index.cfm?fa=contentGeneric.ejdlwmdldgctiiar&pageId=119728

It looks great and the TT2 is mounted high up so I don't need to take my eyes off the road. On a bike with such a high riding position I wouldn't be happy with a GPS mounted centrally on the handlebars (but thats just me).

The migsel mount also allows 2 devices to be mounted side by side if you buy an "extra ball". What next ? A camera ? A fax machine ? A cappucino maker ? :rolleyes:

Did you find out?

Is it a TTR2 that you have? if so which wire goes where there's three wires on the BMW socket and only two (red/black) on the supplied cable?

Hi ,

I have just purchased the BMW connector like you have,which has three yellow wires marekd "1,2,3" .But would like to know which two connect to the red and black like your asking.Did you ever find out?

Cheers

Phil

The migsel mount also allows 2 devices to be mounted side by side if you buy an "extra ball". What next ? A camera ? A fax machine ? A cappucino maker ? :rolleyes:

Why not, I once shared a chunnel train compartment with a bunch of Harley rides, one of whom had a waffle-maker on the back. The pi$$-taking stopped quickly once the smell hit us. :)

For my sins I use the other Migsel mount, the ally billet one which positions the GPS centrally above the clocks, and gave the RAM thing to a friend with a TTR1. I also eBayer the TTR2 I had and got a Zumo, but that's another story altogether ...

Mup.

Some use the RAM-B-309-7 (supplied in the mount kit) to anchor on to the bike. LHS of clocks on GS12 is a good location point as you often can get inline, to the left of the clocks. To attach onto the oval rail, then RAM-B-231Z is a better choice as it has two u-bolts (1" and 1.25" plus shim RAP-319) the shim is useful when getting u-bolt to attach and the inverted V in the cast of the bracket locates onto the widest part of the oval rail so is in place to face the rider.

I would always stick it on the left of your handlebars so you have access to the brake and accelerator with you right hand and control of your sat nav with your left. I dont much like leaning over my bars to get to the screen.

Dont wanna go rolling down the hill you have just parked on to program your TomTom because you have taken your right hand off the brake. :blast

I've mounted mine on the Handlebars to the left of centre, It's important to remember that you've got to touch the screen whilst on the move, It's helpfull to have something to rest your wrist on to keep your fingers steady (My handlebar brace makes the perfect rest)

I tried it mounted above the clocks but found it obstructed my view ahead a little and therefore I tended to kind of look over it at times.
Tunner, liked the way you mounted the Tom Tom and IPod Shuffle. What's your view on the TTV2 ? Did you just use the mounting kit supplied ? Also, is the Shuffle linked to an Autocom (I notice a cable at the top). Spent about the last 1.5 hours trying to decide on TTV2/ Garmin - I guess its the age old question.........

Thanks for your time to reply.

Cheers,
Kev

Back
Top Bottom