Torque settings

R Savage

Further to my other thread about driveshafts I have encountered another problem:

The floating bearings must be tightened to a torque of 7Nm. If my maths is right this is about 5 Ft/lb, i.e. not an awful lot. My torque wrench does not measure down to this value. I've looked at buying a suitable wrench but am rather reluctant to spend £70 (Draper) for what will, hopefully, be a one-off need. My local tool shop no longer hires out torque wrenches because of hirer neglect.

Any suggestions? A 5lb bag (of sugar) suspended 12 inches along my socket ratchet???

I guess that the torque setting on the floating bearing is critical??

TIA Richard

I just bought a torque wrench - Halfords Professional Torque Wrench 8-60Nm £49.95

It seems like a reasonable piece of kit and is certificated as being calibrated. I guess the difference between 7 and 8Nm isn't too unacceptable (btw the dial says 8Nm is 5lbFt)

Attachments

• r1150gs.jpg
    r1150gs.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 340
City Slicker said:
I just bought a torque wrench - Halfords Professional Torque Wrench 8-60Nm £49.95

It seems like a reasonable piece of kit and is certificated as being calibrated. I guess the difference between 7 and 8Nm isn't too unacceptable (btw the dial says 8Nm is 5lbFt)

I guess that a calibrated 8Nm is better than an uncalibrated bag of sugar! Strange, this thread was prompted by my Halfords (Otford) not having anything that went lower than 10Nm. Can you tell me the Halfords part number, please?

Rgds Richard

AndyT said:
Why don't you just get one from B&Q or Argos and take it back afterwards like any normal person does............or is it just me!!

I don't know what you are talking about! ;)

Seriously though, I haven't gone down the Argos etc route because 7Nm is way below the settings that the 'shed' supplied torque wrenches usually measure.

Stands back waiting for the deluge of 'my 0.5Nm to 1KNm torque wrench cost £2.99 from Lidl' emails :D

Rgds Richard

Back
Top Bottom