Enduro Africa 2008

Adventurer

I've signed up for Enduro Africa 2008 :eek and was wondering if any other GSer is going, or know anyone who is ?

Was originally going on the Enduro Italy but swapped to the Africa trip when that collapsed. I wasn't too happy about the donations going to Zimbabwe (thought most would probably end up in Mugabe's private bank account) so now the charities have been changed, I'm eager to go.

Any advice or suggestions (printable) :D will be gladly received
:beerjug:

A couple of us on here are going on Enduro Himalaya in August. HRH Oonyack has been on Enduro Africa twice and loved it.

Why did the Enduro Italy collapse..... I must admit their admin leaves alot to be desired.

AndyT:cool:

A couple of us on here are going on Enduro Himalaya in August. HRH Oonyack has been on Enduro Africa twice and loved it.

Why did the Enduro Italy collapse..... I must admit their admin leaves alot to be desired.

AndyT:cool:

Aye gies a shout

Hi Jono (rudiemoto)

Thanks for the reply, I thought there was no one out there interested in Enduro Africa.

I am away this coming week, but will try and call in next week. Your offer of help is appreciated. :thumb2

AndyT

I understand that the Enduro Italy was cancelled because Global Enduro and Riders for Health (Co organisers) split due to them "having strategic differences". :thedummy My own opinion, for what it's worth, is that they were not happy sending money soley to Zimbabwe and that nice Mr Mugabe :mcgun.

I am much happier with the new charities (UNICEF, Nelson Mandela's Childrens Fund and Sentebale which is the Princes charity) and am looking forward to the trip. The admin side, although slow, is getting better as they have a new member of staff specifically to sort out any queries and help with ways to raise sponsorship. (I am very slow of the mark and must make more effort to raise money :augie)

H.R.H OONYACK

It would be great to hear your advice on all aspects of the trip. I will send you my details when I get back in a weeks time. Thanks

Andrew (a.k.a. Adventurer)

:beerjug:

Well because I'm not doing it this year they needed two prince's to make up for one King:eek:onyack

Home safely

What a great experrience, I would recomend it to everyone.

Fortunately, we were not on the trip with the 2 HRH's as the security and paperazi would have been unbearable and spoilt the team experrience. :mad:

I understand from Mike Glover, the boss of Cherry Adventures, the organisers in South Africa, that HRH's were excellent riders and took "all he could throw at them" which would be a hell of a lot.

The bikes were Honda CRF230 which were fantastic and would go places you wouldn't believe (sometimes without me on them :eek: )

There were several nasty accidents but no fatalities. One girl was T-boned by a large cow and ended up being helicoptered out but returned 2 days later covered in bruises but otherwise OK. She even rode the last 5 Km into Port Edward, Durban on the final afternoon. :thumb2

I have an apology to Rudiemoto. He kindly offered help but I never got round to seeing him as I was away and then the longer I left it the harder it was to call in. Sorry Mate :mcgun For my sins, I returned with a cracked rib and a punctured lung, but I managed to finish the trip. ("I paid me money and I was going to get me dues")

Glad that you had a great time, hope that you are bearing up with the broken ribs, I remember that feeling well after trying snowboarding, (just the once!) falling and landing on me mobile phone, cracking me ribs and having a young French beauty telling me maybe I am too old!!:topic
Gone a bit off track there, any photos that you can post up? read a bit about Enduro Africa after the Princes went on it in the daily press and MCN etc.

Enduro Africa 2008 Photos

Thanks for the sympathy. :eek:

Certainly didn't get any from the wife :(

Gold Team (was originally Yellow but wrong vibes !!!)
I'm the good looking one stood up 2nd right :eek:

We were the only team to finish intact, albeit with broken elbows, severe dehydration, massive multi coloured bruises and my bruised ribs which turned out to be cracked and punctured lung :rolleyes:

The red team were the self-acclaimed experts :clap and had more injuries than anyone else

Andrew

Attachments

• P1010017.jpg
    P1010017.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 149
  • P1010098.jpg
    P1010098.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 147
  • P1010061.jpg
    P1010061.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 145
Oh all right, takes ages this :rolleyes:

Attachments

• P1010015.jpg
    P1010015.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 134
  • P1010039.jpg
    P1010039.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 128
  • P1010049.jpg
    P1010049.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 117
  • P1010063.jpg
    P1010063.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 129
  • P1010101.jpg
    P1010101.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 135
No,

our leader was Kevin Fisher, another nutter, but he was suffering a bit from flu, so most of the time he was quiet.

Mike Glover was with us part of the time and took over from Kevin for an afternoon as he was feeling rough. On a fast track he went round a blind corner, stopped to wait for eveyone and the next two bikes just managed to stop before hitting him. Unfortunately, the 3rd rider didin't stop and smashed into them. :eek:
I came round the corner next to see a massive pile of bikes and bodies but just managed to stop in time. No major injuries, but a lot of swearing. Somehow Mike avoided getting the "Dick of the Day" trophy.

Mike on his Transalp also had to tow my bike when it wouldn't start after my fall on the track that damaged my ribs. (turned out it was the black box wiring). He was doing 60kph along the rough tracks with a short lead of about 2 metre. Hairy :eek:

But he is still a great guy who loves South Africa.

Back
Top Bottom