RAVE PCTV card

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This one's pissing me off 'cos i dont understand what it could be and the rugby's on Saturday...

I have a Pinnacle Rave PCTV card...its been in a year and it works fine, running off the signal from my tv top box/cable modem .

In the last two weeks it's started losing sound suddenly after random periods...usually 2-5 mins at most.....all boxes on my Audigy 2 oprions are 'on' and not 'muted', and i still have full sound from all other sources......

If i bring up either the audio properties then click cancel without changing anything, the sound comes on again...if i bring up the frame and controls, do a thumbnail view then enlarge it again it comes on as well.....restarting the application does the trick as well.

I've uninstalled he programme twice, no change, all my drivers are up to date, nothing new has been added either hardware wise or software wise, and it's really getting on my tits.

Oh, odd thing, I've noticed that it always seems to coincide with a flash of the disk activity led.

How odd's that!!!

Any ideas????

Fanum said:

How odd's that!!!

Any ideas????

i can answer that bit: very :D

i did find this on pinnacle website knowledge base though:

Q. Sound is disabled after one minute in PCTV Vision

A. Norton AntiVirus 2003 has a new section introduced in the options which is called 'Instant Messenger'. If you have Norton Antivirus 2003 installed then please Disable this by unchecking 'MSN instant messenger' box (which was auto ticked when installed). It has been known to cure the fault with Audio cutting out in PCTV.
This problem generally happens with Windows XP-SP1 and any version of PCTV 5.x driver installed.

ring any bells? if not, try here

Top chap Cookie.........thanks.....it did the trick.

Still...bloody wierd or what!!!

I can see Virus checkers affecting the installation of progs through registry problems, I can even see them causing hardware install probs with irq boot up allocations but it still doesnt make any sense to me that it should disable sound on a tv card in a bizarre way.

Ah well, the miracles of modern technology i spose :)

Cheers again Cookie:D

i think scan makers feel obliged to make their progs do more with each release & the complication causes the trouble.

seen quite a few tales of conflicts with norton stuff. don't know why, never used it. i use mcafee myself with few problems.

the auto update is pants, but that's it.

Back
Top Bottom