IOW Ride on Sunday

Urban Rider

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm planning on heading over to the IOW on Sunday for a ride and possibly meet up with fellow Tossers over there. Anyone else fancy it, the weather's looking OK:thumb2 and the cost of the ferry return for a bike plus passenger is just £35.00 with these guys:

http://http://www.wightlink.co.uk/

I'm planning to take the 0730 ferry from Portsmouth to get into Fishbourne for just after 0815 for breakfast. Then returning on the 1600 ferry.:D

Your're being ripped off at £35.00. Its only £24.00 from Southampton for bike and rider + pillion.

Steve

Crossing takes about an hour. I never book, just turn up, pay and go. Redfunnel always have room for bikes, plus you get on/off first.

Their return fare for bikes is fixed all year so no price hikes in the summer/bank holidays.

Steve

Re red funnel, i knew it used to be £24 but always use wightlink and normally cost us per bike, rider and pillion just £20.50 return, shame we didnt know earlier chris we may of been able to book it for you with a discount, not sure on that.
Red funnel is like Steve says, an hour crossing.
Have just checked back at Red Funnel and according to latest update its now £30 to come over from Southampton to East Cowes, I think we islanders get a cheaper rate when travelling return from the Island.
Yes as I thought, we get a cheaper rate with wightlink as islanders, will still only cost us £21.00 as shown here:
http://www.wightlink.co.uk/travel/fares/2008_residents_main.htm
Its disgusting what they charge imo, its enough to put visitors off from coming over here, the Solent is reknown for being the most expensive piece of water to cross.
I have just emailed Wightlink to enquire why such a high price of £35 for you to come across, its daylight robbery isnt it, for that price you could bring a car across on a special :(

I'm planning on heading over to the IOW on Sunday for a ride and possibly meet up with fellow Tossers over there.
I can understand why you want to come over here, we've got the best roads for test riding GS's on, no need to go off road with the quality pot holes, ripples, broken surface and loose gravel that our council has given us, Long way Round? pah, 2 hours over here will sort out your suspension.

I can understand why you want to come over here, we've got the best roads for test riding GS's on, no need to go off road with the quality pot holes, ripples, broken surface and loose gravel that our council has given us, Long way Round? pah, 2 hours over here will sort out your suspension.

:clap

Just been checkin out the ferry fares for Shadow and his mrs and its terrible, do you know its cheaper for him to bring a car and 4 over at the moment, it appears the biker bargain offer only runs throughout the summer :confused:

Much as I like the IOW, £35 is taking the piss, and 7:30 is way too early for me to be at Portsmouth to catch a ferry, on Sunday I'm still struggling to open my eyes at 7:30.

Maybe another time.

Much as I like the IOW, £35 is taking the piss, and 7:30 is way too early for me to be at Portsmouth to catch a ferry, on Sunday I'm still struggling to open my eyes at 7:30.

Maybe another time.

Re the fare I agree with you totally, why should you peeps from over there pay more than we do to cross the same bit of water, its disgusting and I have argued this before with them. For a few quid more you could cross the channel into France :spitfire

It may be worth a phone call to Wightlink to see if you can get a discounted price for a group to come over, I still cant get over that its cheaper to bring a car and four across at the moment, why are the island ferry companies so not bike friendly at this time of yr :nenau
Sani, where ever you are, I am quite surprised you not interested in this day out, really thought you would be up for it mate ;)

Just hold on that ferry I just had a pm with your litle Rideing party and I want to cam :augie

Re the fare I agree with you totally, why should you peeps from over there pay more than we do to cross the same bit of water, its disgusting and I have argued this before with them. For a few quid more you could cross the channel into France :spitfire

To cross to france is £21 and to main land £35:eek: is a rip off

How a bout we meet all at 10-10,30 and we cross all in the same time?
7,30 is to early for me I just dont want to ride weth hard on:augie I may have to pay for extra passenger.

It may be worth a phone call to Wightlink to see if you can get a discounted price for a group to come over, I still cant get over that its cheaper to bring a car and four across at the moment, why are the island ferry companies so not bike friendly at this time of yr :nenau
Sani, where ever you are, I am quite surprised you not interested in this day out, really thought you would be up for it mate ;)
Waste of time talking to Wightlink, i've tried many times, they,re an ignorant bunch of twats, what we really need is a fixed link, bridge or tunnel i don't mind either way, we're constantly being ripped off by everyone over here.

How a bout we meet all at 10-10,30 and we cross all in the same time?
7,30 is to early for me I just dont want to ride weth hard on:augie I may have to pay for extra passenger.
Make sure you fill up just before you get on the ferry, you won't want to buy any fuel over here, one petrol station is charging 112.9p a litre for unleaded :eek:

Yes Nick said similar re filling up, our cheapest here is £1.04 atm and that is at Sainsburys and Morrisons in town.
So glad you can make it too Sani, be nice to see ya again, and dont worry bout your personal prob at that time of the morning....ah that did make me laugh :D
Re the fares, probably from March wight link will re-introduce their "biker bargain" special fare, normally about £20.50 for bike, rider and pillion. Dont know why they cant allow bikers to pay that price all yr round, thieving bastards :spitfire
Nick also suggested if you wanted to you could go back Yarmouth to Lymington way if you wanted to vary your trip, it would mean taking you back through the New Forest mind and be dark so watch out for the squirrels!
Ah well, be nice to have something to look forward to at the wk end, have PM'd Shadow re meetin ya's at the ferry :thumb

Back
Top Bottom