Great War Tour 2008

MikeP

UKGSer of 2014 (Dead)
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This might well be sub-titled "Forgotten Victories."

The outline.

Dates; late June, or early July. To be confirmed.

Accommodation, camping, two bases, three/four nights at each.

Landing at Calais (tunnel) around mid-day, the tour will start by a gentle bimble via Agincourt to the first base, Biory-Notre-Dame, just East of Arras.

The itinerary of the first day will be to visit Mons and cover the first action of the BEF in August 1914.

We will start after breakfast by heading East to Le Cateau, via Cambrai. A short stop to look at the Chateau that served as BEF HQ and then we will turn North, following the route that I & II Corps followed to Mons. This will take us past the monument to the battle of Malplaquet as it did the BEF in 1914.

190019833-M.jpg

First stop is the point on the N6 outside SHAPE HQ where the first shots were exchanged between German and British forces.

Then its return to Mons and the Quai des Anglais. Here we will visit the place where the first two VC's of the Great War were won.

197174043-M.jpg

From Quai des Anglais, we move on to St Symphorien CWGC cemetery. Here we will see the graves of German and British dead in the same place. Also here are the the first British fatality of the conflict, the first VC and the last British fatality of that war.

197174375-M.jpg

Moving West of Mons, we will do some riding along tracks to access the remains of the trench line where the Norfolk and Cheshire Regiments stood and fought an action to protect the BEF left flank, then on to the local cemetery that holds the remains of many Cheshires (who never got the order to withdraw and fought to a standstill).

We will then head back towards Le Cateau, along the roads taken by the BEF in the Retreat from Mons. Here we can ride down the 'Sunken Road,' central to the battle of Le Cateau where the BEF turned and stopped the German advance long enough to prevent the retreat turning into rout.

43468275-M.jpg

Back to the campsite.

Next day: we will visit Arras and Vimy Ridge. Here we will visit the Canadian Memorial.

190002603-M.jpg

including the preserved trenches.

197176752-M.jpg

Then more of the locations that make up the Battle of Arras 1917.

There are many small out of the way CWGC cemeteries, some of these are in old trenches or craters. Often their locations mean that they are not visited and a GS is the best means of doing so.

190019274-M.jpg

190004388-M.jpg

189998346-M.jpg

This day takes us in a loop away from the campsite and then back following the battle (the campsite location was just behind the German lines).

Possible third day in the area depending on how much time people have).

Leaving Boiry, we will loop South to visit Lochnagar Crater and Thiepval Memorial to the missing of the Somme.

190007393-M.jpg

From here we will head North to Ypers (Iepr).

There is a campsite within the town that I want to use this year. We were unable to use it last year because of a music festival but the owners have said that they will welcome our party. If that isn't possible or if the site isn't very good, there is a fall back one outside the town that we used last year. It would be preferable to be within walking distance of the facilities in Ypres if possible.

First day here we turn back South into France to visit the Battle of Neuve-Chapelle 1915. This is a location I have visited only once so far, so it will be bit of an exploration for all.

There is possibly less to find here than I hope, so the day may be flexible.

If it doesn't take up the whole day, we can find plenty to see in the area.

Next day we will visit Hill 61, the privately owned museum and "preserved trenches" of Sanctuary Wood will be available to those who wish to see them.

197179386-M.jpg

We will visit Polygon Wood.

190012522-M.jpg

At some stage in Ypres, we will visit the re-built Cloth Hall, that contains the excellent "In Flanders Fields" exhibition.

190015790-M.jpg

The final full day will include a visit to Tynecott CWGC Cemetery. This will take up at least the morning (bring a clean hankie or tissues, the visitor centre is very moving).

190014368-M.jpg

190014946-M.jpg

On the last evening we will attend the Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate.

190017501-M.jpg

189998665-M.jpg

(More tissues).

Next day, split-up or return to Calais as the case may be.

We are looking at 6 or 7 nights.

At most locations I will give some background and detail of the events, trying to put things into context.

At present there are three of us intending to return this year. I wouldn't really want a group much bigger than six to eight bikes as keeping together can be a problem in a larger group.

TKC's are not essential but could be beneficial depending on the state of some of the tracks. Bear in mind that much of this is the Somme Region and Passchendaele (current spelling) are both notable for their mud!

43471240-M.jpg

Some tracks that we will venture down are in fact trenches from the war that have become 'tracks.' None of it is hard-core off-road stuff but the beauty of a GS is that we can get to these places whereas most visitors would have to park and walk some distance.

If you are interested, pencil in the last week in June, first in July as possible dates and I will be confirming later.

Anyone who has a relative with a known burial, if it is in range we will visit. If you have names of those who were listed as missing, we may be able to find their names on the Theipval Memorial, the walls of Tynecott or The Menin Gate.

Given some basic information, I may be able to find the record for you if you don't know how to do it, before the trip starts.

Been in the area before. Very humbling the number of cemetries especially in the Arras area.

Visted the Accrington Pals memorial, very poignant.

Same trip went to Thiepval, and when you see all the names on that memorial ....

Different trip went to Tynecott where I have a relative's name on the wall. The German bunkers are still there, can only guess what it was like to try and attack / be in one during the war. Stayed in Ypres and went to the Menin Gate for the Last Post, again very emotional.

I do wonder if those peple who term footballers / Big Brother contestants as "hero's" have ever visited the area and compared them to those who fought there? Probably not, it would be too hard for them.

have a good trip, will be away then but have done Ypres 3 times now, a must see for those who have never been.

Teejay

190007393-S.jpg

Lutyens' great memorial to over 72,000 dead is, I understand, now devoid of the scaffolding that has obscured its splendour for a while now.

As one inspects the endless names on the panels, including that of one of my favourite composers, George Butterworth*, it's hard to believe that these names are only those whose bodies could not be found.

We should never forget their great sacrifice.

Greg

*Butterworth was a close friend of composer Ralph Vaughan Williams. Although RVW has been dead for some time, his wife Ursula was alive until 3 months ago.

good campsite in ypres is JEUG STADION, it is by the school and leisure centre and is about a 4 minute walk from menin gate, the walk in entrance is virtually opposite the large modern footbridge over the moat if that means anything to you, to ride to the site you will need to pass :beerjug:the footbridge on your right travelling away from the menin gate and just keep turning left by the furniture shops and follow the signs.
Really good site , used it 5 or 6 times, not too expensive and reasonable facilities.
Hope this is of use.

Is there any possibility of this visit being repeated, or something similar, being organised at another time of the year? It is something I have always wished to participate in, particularly with a knowledgeable guide, unfortunately the dates coincide with annual the family holiday.

Ferret,

That's the one I wanted to get into last year. They were having some sort of festival so one of the three nights were out. I didn't want to camp somewhere for one night and then move, so we stayed at Camping Ypra on the Kemmelberg (great views over towards Ypres and Passchendaele).

I have been in contact with the owners of JeugStadion and they are very happy to have us there.

It may not have the views of Camping Ypra but access to the bars and restaurants will make-up for that. :thumb2

Sharik,

If there's interest, yes. Either another trip this year or certainly next year.

This planned trip is a final shake-down to sort out timings etc. I plan to run trips to the area and make the Channel crossings and campsite bookings in advance so that all people have to do is meet at Dover, pay for their fuel, beer and food over the course of the trip.

It's not a money making exercise for me, just something that someone suggested as an idea for people who may have an interest but might be overawed by the sheer scale of the places to see related to the Great War.

I'm no authority on the War but I have been there a few times, studied a fair bit and will provide some maps along with a narrative at each stop.

I've done a very similar tour before, and really enjoyed it. Its a fantastic area and ideal for a group of bikers. Agree with the previous comment though, you really do need a knowledgeable guide to get the full benefit.

Just 1 slight complication I can see MP is that the Hograost is on 4th July 08.

Taff,

No firm dates as yet. This is just an interest gathering post. The sooner I can assess numbers, the sooner I can firm-up dates.

Unfortunately, they will never suit all.

i would be interested, it just depends on the dates,
ferret

MikeP

Sould you, through this fact finding, decide to alter the dates, mid May to late June or any time after mid August then please count me in if there is space. Yours hopefully!

Route

Have you got a Garmin Route of this journey? It would be much appreciated if you have.......have been planning to do something like this for some time now but my free time has to be quite spontaneous to fit around work.

Good luck with the preps anyway....

Offer of assistance to Great War Tour 2008

Hi there Mike,

If we can be of any assistance with the planning of your trip to the battlefields, do let us know. We are located between Peronne and Bapaume, on the Circuit de Souvenir here on the Somme, and whilst we organise bike tours here, we are also happy just to offer help, advice or turn up for a drink!

You sound like you have got it fairly well sorted, but thought it would be good to offer a helping hand, if it was needed or thought appropriate.

Check out our website, www.martinpegler.com as it will tell you everything you might need to know about us!

Otherwise, have a great trip.
Kate

:mcgun

Last edited:
Might bump into you ...

If it's late June that is. Will have 45 teenagers (including two pipers)with me!

Hi Mike,

Shame about the timing -I am planning to do the same myself first week in June - very interested in your route though since I've not really toured the area in detail previously.

I did visit Verdun a few years back - the sheer number of the grave stones really underlines the whole futility of it all

Hi Mike, I would like to join you this year.

Greg has told me how he enjoyed the last trip?

Geoff

Geoff and Richard,

No dates fixed as yet, as soon as they are, I'll let you know. Both welcome to join-in if the dates permit.

Trip

This might well be sub-titled "Forgotten Victories."

The outline.

Dates; late June, or early July. To be confirmed.

Accommodation, camping, two bases, three/four nights at each.

Landing at Calais (tunnel) around mid-day, the tour will start by a gentle bimble via Agincourt to the first base, Biory-Notre-Dame, just East of Arras.

The itinerary of the first day will be to visit Mons and cover the first action of the BEF in August 1914.

We will start after breakfast by heading East to Le Cateau, via Cambrai. A short stop to look at the Chateau that served as BEF HQ and then we will turn North, following the route that I & II Corps followed to Mons. This will take us past the monument to the battle of Malplaquet as it did the BEF in 1914.

190019833-M.jpg

First stop is the point on the N6 outside SHAPE HQ where the first shots were exchanged between German and British forces.

Then its return to Mons and the Quai des Anglais. Here we will visit the place where the first two VC's of the Great War were won.

197174043-M.jpg

From Quai des Anglais, we move on to St Symphorien CWGC cemetery. Here we will see the graves of German and British dead in the same place. Also here are the the first British fatality of the conflict, the first VC and the last British fatality of that war.

197174375-M.jpg

Moving West of Mons, we will do some riding along tracks to access the remains of the trench line where the Norfolk and Cheshire Regiments stood and fought an action to protect the BEF left flank, then on to the local cemetery that holds the remains of many Cheshires (who never got the order to withdraw and fought to a standstill).

We will then head back towards Le Cateau, along the roads taken by the BEF in the Retreat from Mons. Here we can ride down the 'Sunken Road,' central to the battle of Le Cateau where the BEF turned and stopped the German advance long enough to prevent the retreat turning into rout.

43468275-M.jpg

Back to the campsite.

Next day: we will visit Arras and Vimy Ridge. Here we will visit the Canadian Memorial.

190002603-M.jpg

including the preserved trenches.

197176752-M.jpg

Then more of the locations that make up the Battle of Arras 1917.

There are many small out of the way CWGC cemeteries, some of these are in old trenches or craters. Often their locations mean that they are not visited and a GS is the best means of doing so.

190019274-M.jpg

190004388-M.jpg

189998346-M.jpg

This day takes us in a loop away from the campsite and then back following the battle (the campsite location was just behind the German lines).

Possible third day in the area depending on how much time people have).

Leaving Boiry, we will loop South to visit Lochnagar Crater and Thiepval Memorial to the missing of the Somme.

190007393-M.jpg

From here we will head North to Ypers (Iepr).

There is a campsite within the town that I want to use this year. We were unable to use it last year because of a music festival but the owners have said that they will welcome our party. If that isn't possible or if the site isn't very good, there is a fall back one outside the town that we used last year. It would be preferable to be within walking distance of the facilities in Ypres if possible.

First day here we turn back South into France to visit the Battle of Neuve-Chapelle 1915. This is a location I have visited only once so far, so it will be bit of an exploration for all.

There is possibly less to find here than I hope, so the day may be flexible.

If it doesn't take up the whole day, we can find plenty to see in the area.

Next day we will visit Hill 61, the privately owned museum and "preserved trenches" of Sanctuary Wood will be available to those who wish to see them.

197179386-M.jpg

We will visit Polygon Wood.

190012522-M.jpg

At some stage in Ypres, we will visit the re-built Cloth Hall, that contains the excellent "In Flanders Fields" exhibition.

190015790-M.jpg

The final full day will include a visit to Tynecott CWGC Cemetery. This will take up at least the morning (bring a clean hankie or tissues, the visitor centre is very moving).

190014368-M.jpg

190014946-M.jpg

On the last evening we will attend the Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate.

190017501-M.jpg

189998665-M.jpg

(More tissues).

Next day, split-up or return to Calais as the case may be.

We are looking at 6 or 7 nights.

At most locations I will give some background and detail of the events, trying to put things into context.

At present there are three of us intending to return this year. I wouldn't really want a group much bigger than six to eight bikes as keeping together can be a problem in a larger group.

TKC's are not essential but could be beneficial depending on the state of some of the tracks. Bear in mind that much of this is the Somme Region and Passchendaele (current spelling) are both notable for their mud!

43471240-M.jpg

Some tracks that we will venture down are in fact trenches from the war that have become 'tracks.' None of it is hard-core off-road stuff but the beauty of a GS is that we can get to these places whereas most visitors would have to park and walk some distance.

If you are interested, pencil in the last week in June, first in July as possible dates and I will be confirming later.

Anyone who has a relative with a known burial, if it is in range we will visit. If you have names of those who were listed as missing, we may be able to find their names on the Theipval Memorial, the walls of Tynecott or The Menin Gate.

Given some basic information, I may be able to find the record for you if you don't know how to do it, before the trip starts.

Inspired by your brilliant photographs a mate and Me went over on the 3/4/08till6/4/08 for a mini trip to see some of this, cant recommend this enough tho even a month woudnt do it justice! When we were over there, on the saturday it was cold wet and miserable our thoughts were that if they could do what they did we could stand being wet and cold. Going into those cemeteries I have to admit that it was the first time I've truly seen something that took my breath away. Humbly yours - Gary

Back
Top Bottom