Road safety, where are the unmarked cars?

Davey B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
To go hand in hand with the pegs down, here is a public road safety announcement.
West Yorks Police have a semi marked Blackbird with Video etc.
North Yorkshire @ Skipton have a dark blue Impreza Turbo that primarily covers the A65 up towards Devils Bridge.

Sussex police have unmarked black Volvo V70. Not fast enough to catch Mitzy Evo7 racing a BMW 330i though. That took a road block at Arundel!

another one

unmarked black Volvo V70 also sighted busting a 'lukewarm hatch' just south of exeter. watch it on the A38 and the M5. but anyone sensible riding a GS in devon is on the backroads anyway.....?

Hampshire & Surrey Impreza Turbos

Hampshire and Surrey police have a couple of dark blue unmarked Impreza Turbos, which is cheating in my view.

Hants(Nr Winchester when I made it's acquaintance!) also has a red Imprezza. The fat copper driving last Spring, wore Bart Simpson braces and was a right B'stard.........
Dark green V70 Volvo also round and about.
Lookout around Portsmouth...........7 Gatso's installed recently.

Wiltshire police have a Skoda - I kid ye not!!

A silver Skoda Octavia RS, seen on the A350 Nr Warminster.

BikerDave said:
Wiltshire police have a Skoda - I kid ye not!!

A silver Skoda Octavia RS, seen on the A350 Nr Warminster.

Whooosh big torque .... be afraid

judge said:
146MPH, 0-62MPH in 7.9 seconds. Maybe not quite the Estelle of old...

I know, but the embarrassment of being stopped by plod driving a Skoda!!

badge mentality

The octavia RS is a serious bit of kit.......

And doesnt anyone else see the paralell betwen the 'crap old skoda' image that in fact is a well sorted point to point car, and an 'old man's ride' that is the BMWin the GS guise........how many descriptions of crotch rockets being beaten on the twisties adorn this forum alone?

;)

Lancs County have a video in a little white van parking up on the Lanshawbridge Road near Colne doing you at 34mph in a 30 - now they're what I call men who have lost sight of the job they joined :-(

jim mcsharry said:
Lancs County have a video in a little white van parking up on the Lanshawbridge Road near Colne doing you at 34mph in a 30 - now they're what I call men who have lost sight of the job they joined :-(

Jim,

someone's telling you porkies. No-one gets done for 34 in a 30 - the minimum ACPO prosecution speed is 10% + 2mph = 35mph (46 in a 40; 57 in a 50; 68 in a 60 & 79 in a 70)*.

Whereas I don't doubt there are poorly motivated policemen out there (as there are in any walk of life) , they'd get nowhere trying to prosecute a driver or rider at a speed under the ACPO minima.....

MikeO:)

*I re-checked this with a current RT biker before I posted ;)

Mike O said:
Jim,

someone's telling you porkies. No-one gets done for 34 in a 30 - the minimum ACPO prosecution speed is 10% + 2mph = 35mph (46 in a 40; 57 in a 50; 68 in a 60 & 79 in a 70)*.

Whereas I don't doubt there are poorly motivated policemen out there (as there are in any walk of life) , they'd get nowhere trying to prosecute a driver or rider at a speed under the ACPO minima.....

*I re-checked this with a current RT biker before I posted ;)

Trouble is, how many people actually know that? The average Joe Public would probably put his/her hands up and pay the fixed penalty notice.

BikerDave said:
Trouble is, how many people actually know that? The average Joe Public would probably put his/her hands up and pay the fixed penalty notice.

Until you've done the job, you can't begin to understand the pile of shit you'd start for yourself by writing an unenforceable ticket* - and for what? A speeder? You can get another 10 in the next half hour..... What would be the point? I'm sorry, that wasn't meant to sound patronising, but it's the way the job works. As a speeder, you just aren't important enough to lie about (I never found anyone who was........).

*Any Joe Public can decide to plead not guilty - if you were in the habit of writing unenforceable tickets, you'd get caught out eventually & then have your 'history' examined.

Oh yes they do............!

Mike O,

Unfortunately that's exactly what is happening in Lancs !! :mad:

I retired from that firm just over three years ago but still keep in touch with a few Ex-colleges............and they confirm that the Cameras are set as low as that, despite as you say, ACPO guidelines :(

Most of the Ones I'm in touch with are looking forward to finishing because,... as some old Chinaman, I think it was, whos' name I forget once said............

JOB'S FEKKED...........!!:mad:

34 on a 30mph dual carriageway road with all the necessary safety features and cycle paths going south out of Preston..............they're avin a Larf...!!

That's just one location...............there are loads of others,

Public confidence inspiring don't you think?.........shouldn't they be out there catching 'Billy Burglar'........sorry, it's just that I have heard that one so often, it slipped off the tongue :p

You have been warned, Lancs is a place to loose your Licence if not careful, very careful :(

CC

:cool:

Well, crap though it might be as an example, 35 just falls within ACPO minima.

CC, I still find the idea of ticketing inside ACPO minima unbelievable. In my experience, people with an axe to grind invariably exagerate (sp?) their claims - I've met people at parties who assure me that a friend of theirs was done for 72mph on the M4 etc etc. I'd be more inclined to believe it if one of our current or retired plods could quote an example of when they personally booked someone under ACPO minima and the circumstances surrounding it. In Bristol, the Process Dept would cross check the speed, cancel the ticket and the PC involved would get a word from his supervisor to ensure he was aware of the minima. Repeats would involve these words becoming more active and career threatening......

Not my Scene, but...........

Mike O,

I agree with you about stories down the Pub/Parties etc..............I got this from a still serving officer whos' Wife copped it twice ,...The Same Day !! This was by Fixed Camera Gatso system.

I didn't see the Paper work but I have no reason to disbelieve him he is still on RT (Motorway).......He was seriouly pissed off..........Needless to say.

As I said earlier...........Glad I'm out of it..........Life's too short to be dealing with all that Nonsense........... and getting the flack for decisions made by some "Numpty" sat in an Ivory Tower sending down orders from on high :mad:

CC

:cool:

Speeding

I was riding to work no so long ago, in a bit of a rush. I was probably doing 45 in a 30 and guess what, traffic copper with a speed gun. I went passed him and he never stopped me.
Anyway, I got to work an nipped into the canteen to get a cup of Earl Grey. There he was, the copper I'd seen (I now don't need to tell you what I do) in the canteen. I asked him what the score was and he said that they were not interested in anything under 48mph. Fair enough I thought. A little bit of common sense. They still managed to catch plenty!!!
What people should remember is that it is not the police who are obsesed with speed, it is other dark powers - governments, councils, etc.
At the end of the day we all know the risks. If you speak to Hooray Henry who works for a large financial instituation in the city he will tell you that he cannot understand why he gets nicked for being in possession of a quantity of cocaine for his own use. Fair enough, nice bloke, pays his taxes, but it is illegal. If we all chose what we wanted to adhere to and ignore then society would break down even more.
If you choose to break whatever law then you have to accept the consequences even though sometimes it sticks in your throat.

That said, I still see three figures on the GS speedo most days within the M25. That's my choice and if I get caught so be it.
I am an adult and only have myself to blame!!!!!!!!:D

Must concur with the red rose bash thread tho' wot with getting a gatso'd 36 in a 30 last summer and 3 points on me licence.
Anymore unmarked cars out there tho?

Back
Top Bottom