XChallenge - Tyres

PaulXC

Reaction score
Gotta get me some knobblies .. the original Sahara's are great on the road and nice sandy or dry gravel tracks but a tad useless on the mud.

So fellow XC pilots - what are you running and what do you reckon to them on the mud?

I had TCK80's on my old Dakar and they were pretty good I thought - bit iffy on tarmac though.

Ta

Paul

Someone's going to jump on me for this, but if you're planning on doing a bit of everything on
yer XC, MT21's are a good alrounder, knobbles on them are not as spikey as motocross tyres but
you've enough rubber in contact with the road and they're soft enough to give a bit of grip on
tarmac.

I have them on mine, and while there are better tyres for mud, bog or forrestry track, I think
these are fairly good for a bit of everything.

This has been discussed before, do a search and you'l find loads of advice.

Edit: Here you go CLICK
It's a thread from 4 weeks ago called: X Challenge what off road tyres ? :blast :blast :rolleyes:

Daithi. :thumb2

This has been discussed before, do a search and you'l find loads of advice.

Edit: Here you go CLICK
It's a thread from 4 weeks ago called: X Challenge what off road tyres ? :blast :blast :rolleyes:

Daithi. :thumb2

Derrr!:blast
:blast:blastDon't know how I missed that.... Anyway have ordered a pair of MT21's today so hopefully will get them on for the weekend.

Paul

Daithi
Are you on a special deal with those MT21's or have you cornered the market or sumtin

For a more balanced responce...

Daithi
Are you on a special deal with those MT21's or have you cornered the market or sumtin
Nah, I just think they do the job fine, spikier tyres will spit you off on the road
in the wet a lot faster. :nenau

But, "he could forget about the MT 21 on the front stick on the Michie Enduro loads of feel plenty of grip on & offroad but remember to fit rim locks, MT 21 on the rear they just tend to go square & give what feels like worst of both worlds, poor grip offroad even in the dry & a square road tyre but if you run with full enduro tyre at the rear on the road your going to have some fun at this time of year spinning up on throttle, locking up on quick throttling off & changing down along with poor tyre life." Quoted: Famous :augie

:D :D :thumb

And there was me thinkin only famous people got quoted:rob:

Ive made it now:clap:clap:clap

What I am wondering is did you actually manage to get up over that bump on your old avatar with those MT's

michelin comp 3s with rim locks brill off road especially the front very grippy had lots of fun on them today:)

And there was me thinkin only famous people got quoted:rob:

Ive made it now:clap:clap:clap

What I am wondering is did you actually manage to get up over that bump on your old avatar with those MT's

Yeah, but it was a small bump. :D

<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s169.photobucket.com/flash/player.swf?file=http://vid169.photobucket.com/albums/u224/bmwr1100gs/P1120025.flv"></embed>

michelin comp 3s with rim locks brill off road especially the front very grippy had lots of fun on them today:)

I'll try these next the M21's are a pain in clagy mud ruts,
out with Losttheplot today on the plain on his XChallenge with comp 3's
and he dissapeared while i struggled for grip :(

Don't bother with a comp 3 front, i doubt you'll find any now (the originals got a right slating and were discontinued).

Michelin still do the comp 3 rear, and on the front of my bike i have a comp 4.

If your not doing enduro's or rallies on your bike, then have a look at the Michelin AC10's.

These are just as good as the michelin comp. tyres, but i found the last ones i had to last many more miles. Not sure if this is down to the taller tread pattern (they are road legal MX tyres after all), or a harder compound tyre?

Other tyres worth looking at are the Bridgestone ED series (used to use ED661's, but think they have moved on a bit since then). these are also road legal FIM enduro tyres, so fine for rallies.

IIRC Bridgestone also do a "crossengo", which is their equivalent to the AC10.

It's worth stripping your MT21's off and putting them to one side at this time of year, saving them for the summer when the trails are hard packed. (provided it doesn't fekin rain continuously again like last year).

Hope your had a good ride out mark, i'm just gutted i missed your close up inspection of the local flora :blast

Nathan

For tyres try here:

http://www.racespec.co.uk/acatalog/Tyres.html

I have nothing to do with these people at all, apart from spending money with them.

While your looking at tyres, also consider heavy duty tubes and rim locks!

IIRC the above mentioned rubber will work best at around 10-15 psi.

HTH

Nathan

Hope your had a good ride out mark, i'm just gutted i missed your close up inspection of the local flora :blast

Nathan

Cheers Nathan an excellent day, i'm pooped and have an extra lump
on my foot :D

I'm going for the comp 4/3 as i've seen them in action all be it from a distance
:eek:

Back
Top Bottom