Abs Iii

simonm

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
ABS III

Has any one got/seen a GS with ABS III ?

My dealer says my new 1150 (due Sept) may have this fitted, its not confirmed, and I haven't had chance to quiz him yet.

Anyone know anything about this system on the GS.

Is it linked?
Is it semi-linked (front activates some rear but not vice versa)?
Is the rear as vicious as reports on the RT indicate?
Do you get any brakes at all with the ignition off?
Any feedback appreciated

simon

ay bee ess three

The third generation of BMW's anti lock system for motorbikes. The changes seen in the third generation of BMW's anti lock system for motorbikes to the prior generation of anti lock brakes affect the complete braking system. An electro-hydraulic brake booster is introduced for the first time in motorbiking history and helps increase the line pressure and reduce the pressure built-up speed. Front and rear brakes are linked. The rear brake lever activates the rear brake, same as usual, but the front brake lever activates front AND rear brakes. A quite advanced software calculates the brake load balance between front and rear wheel.

More details see link below :

http://www.s-boxer.lu/oldtext/abs.htm

:bounce1 :bounce1 :bounce1 :bounce1 :bounce1

ABS 3

Mines due for delivery in August, I wonder if that will have ABS 3

Re: ay bee ess three (linked brakes - uh ohhh)

bandit said:
The rear brake lever activates the rear brake, same as usual, but the front brake lever activates front AND rear brakes.
Yikes linked brakes - I can think of a few Honda owing chums who have a few things to say about Honda's wonderful CBS system - and most of them far from positive... ah but of course this is BMW and they are newly designed so of course they will be *far* superior to Honda's offerings won't they???? ;)

I rode a 2001 K1200RS the other day with the linked ABS electric servo brakes and they where so good I nearly chopped the GS in for one.

Wreford

BMW's new ABS III is totally unlike Honda's CBS system. The BMW system only links the front and back when the front ABS comes into play. You can still use the rear brake independently. That's why Honda owners complain about CBS . . . you can't drag the rear brake round corners without activating the front. You can with BMW's ABSIII. THe added safety feature is huge. Yank the front brake, lock the front wheel, ABS kicks in and activates rear wheel as well. Bloody brilliant.
And yes, Wreford, the new K1200RS is a fantastic bike but the EVO brakes aren't the ABSIII. Don't chop in your GS for the K12 though. I've put in miles and miles on a K1200RS but wouldn't swap back.
Simon E.

ABS 111

We have been told by BMW Ireland that the series 3 abs is NOT like the servo assisted linked brakes on the 1150 RT. It has bigger discs on front and BMW callipers not brembo.

From what I have been told ABS 3 is ABS 2 Evo , the new system on 2002 GS1150's.
The differences over pre 2002 specs is -
a) Bigger pistons on Calipers to increase Braking pressure applied to pads
b) New Calipers - denoted with BMW markings not Brembo.
These are a result of joint working between Brembo and Tokico ( OEM supplier to Suzuki and Kawasaki).
c) Bigger front Discs.
The Evo brakes aren't linked or connected to a Servo (as on RT or R1150's

ABS 3 = ABS EVO 2, It will come with this then, I like the sound of that, my Blackbird has linked brakes and I like 'em, especially two up I can outbrake my mate on his blade and I think it settles the bike down better than non linked, I had to brake hard on a wet road once and the linked brakes just stopped me in a straight line, no lifting of the rear end.

Back
Top Bottom