Suspension adjustment

Tiff

In a couple of weeks time I will pick up my brand new GS, and I can't wait!! :D

I was just wondering if any of you guys had any advice on suspension adjustment.

I weigh 10st and when I test rode the GS I thought it felt okay, until my boyfriend (who weighs 14st) went on the back, at which point the GS seems to absorb the bumps better. It was only a slight difference, and I hadn't noticed that the bike wasn't absorbing the bumps before, but it just made me think that perhaps the suspension isn't set up quite right for me....

I am also ONLY JUST tall enough to hold up the GS at a standstill, so any reduction in seat height through preload adjustment might be helpful. The dealer told me that many people do this to reduce the seat height, but didn't elaborate.

I am afraid I know absolutely bugger all about suspension, and have always left well alone on my Honda hornet. Can anyone tell me how I can adjust the suspension to suit my lighter weight better, or is it just a case of experimenting with it to find the best set up?

Thanks for your help

Tiff

:tigger

Hi Tiff,

Check the 'can you get your pegs down thread, you'll find some good suspension advice in there.

Also check you bike is on standard, it's all in the owners book.

Wreford

Soft rather than Hard while solo and only wind up preload slightly for luggage and/or 'boyfriend' !!!!!!!!!!!!

Tiff:
People tell you to use the Pre-load to let the bike sag under your weight and thus reduce height. But ignore them. That's not what pre-load is for. You can slacken off the compression/rebound screw slightly. That will help.
But, there is a huge difference betwen having no "luggage" on the back and having 14 stone, so you should wind the pre-load up for that. Riding alone you need the pre-load under standard, maybe 3 clicks or more down on the low side.
You also need to make sure the front is on the lowest setting, for "road use".
Are we talking about the 110/1150 or 650?
If you need height reduction your best bet is to have the seat customised . . . take some pading out and have it made narrower.
Hope this helps.
Simon E.
:) :) :)

Back
Top Bottom