Where can I try a Garmin

ts2

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a Tomtom rider2, or Zumo 550. I've tried the Tomtom software before on my mobile, and Also John Lewis lets you play around with car tomtoms and the software is very familiar. I like the intuitiveness of the interface.

On this site the vocal majority seems to rave about Garmin. A lot of this seems to be because of the better customer support, but I've seen a few people say that they prefer the Garmin software.

I've not found anywhere where I can get easy (ie not have to pretend I'm about to buy it) access to a Garmin. I'd quite like to have a play, as I saw a comparison vid on youtube that made the Garmin look very complicated cf the tomtom. Although I appreciate having extra features I like simple interfaces more. Also the tomtom seems to give more information on the main screen.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

TobyS

Can't suggest where you can see one unless a user from Manchester area comes to your aid but some comments as I have both Tomtom Rider and a Garmin 2720.

The Garmin is not more complicated but it is far more tweakable to your needs. I find the way to set up destinations is better and setting up a route with waypoints is much better on Garmin. Both allow you to modify the info shown on screen but the Tomtom will only show some if it when a route is set.

Garmin has Mapsource and for that alone it is worth going Garmin as Tomtom has nothing to compare.

Lots more reasons to go Garmin which would take a long post to detail plus of course much better support.

I have a PDA that came with Tomtom navigator but I since loaded Garmin software and even on the PDA it makes a big difference.

Andy has said it all.

The advantage of the Garmin is in the PC-based Mapsource route planning software. I am sure that you can use Autoroute or something similar as a front end to the Tom-Tom but why bother.

Tom-Tom have come form PDA-type products.
Garmin have some from an Aerospace, Marine, Walking and Automotive backgound.

I would be extremely happy to buy the wife a Tom-Tom, but I would never, ever have one myself.

Back
Top Bottom